TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 01-25-2016, 08:16 PM

A couple times in high school I put over 50 mangas on hold...aaand they all came at once. It was a circus.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 01-25-2016, 08:19 PM

Unfortunately the library where I used to live has "temporarily" closed...they wanted to reconstruct the building, which they did, but it was finished years ago, and the library still has not opened.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 01-25-2016, 08:59 PM

=_= Well, isn't that nice of them....

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-26-2016, 02:42 PM

So many manga! LOL! Thankfully they're pretty quick reads right? XD

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 01-26-2016, 03:09 PM

I think it's due to lack of funding for the library, sadly

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-30-2016, 09:46 PM

I just borrowed Mirror Sight, the 5th book in the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain, which I've been looking forward to for a while. The actual physical book is a bit ridiculous though.

Mirror Sight is the hardback on the left, and it looks pretty massive, right? For comparison, the book on the left is The Wise Man's Fear, and it's over 1000 pages.

But what's this? Mirror Sight is only 770 pages! How the heck...oh. This is why:

The text in Mirror Sight is huge! Even the paper looks thicker.

Why publishers, why? Why have you done this to me? Why couldn't you just release this book in the same format as all the other books in the series? Even in paperback, they went with this oversize format instead of the usual mass market sizing. Which means I won't be able to buy the book for ages because it won't match the set.

Still looking forward to reading the book though.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-30-2016, 10:57 PM

I totally hate mismatching books in a series! I have the same problem with the last book in one of my favorite series. >.<

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 01-31-2016, 04:25 AM

#bibliophileproblems

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 02-02-2016, 11:34 PM

Indeed....

I still need to figure out what I'm going to read next, once I got the two I've got my nose in now finished.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-03-2016, 02:22 PM

I've started another French book. I'm not a huge fan of this author usually but this one seems pretty interesting so far.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 03-05-2016, 08:21 PM

Verdict on Mirror Sight: it took an unexpected turn, deviating strongly from the other 4 books in the series. It was an interesting premise and I think it sets up some interesting changes for the future books. Unfortunately, the writing was weak, and so many aspects of the story were cliched. So, not the best offering of the series, but I'm sticking with the series overall. Karigan has some interesting days ahead of her.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-06-2016, 01:46 AM

Just finished up my fourth book for the year. I don't really like that author but I actually liked this one! I'm way behind on my book count from last year but I've also been pretty busy lately. ^^;

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 03-08-2016, 11:50 PM

I've only started on my seventh book for the year 9_9. I'm so behind lol

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-09-2016, 02:33 PM

Not as behind as I am. XD

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 03-09-2016, 10:42 PM

Finally getting around to finishing up the Percy Jackson series. Basted through book 4 the other day, starting the last one tonight or tomorrow.

That read so fast, dunno why I didn't finish them all last summer.

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Guivre Send a message via Yahoo to Guivre

Old 03-10-2016, 09:37 PM

I am soooo disappointed that Shelfari is being merged with Good Reads. I like Shelfari so much better, the bookshelf was fun to use and really made you feel like you were doing something when you finished a book.

So far this year I've only finished reading one book and am almost done with my second. Last year I only wound up reading ten books, but ten is better than one, or none!

Anyway, after the merge (March 15) I'll update my info in this thread.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-10-2016, 09:45 PM

I've never heard of Shelfari! That is sad that you won't be able to continue using them though. V_V

I love your username. Where did you get it from?

Melissa
*^_^*

Old 03-12-2016, 02:50 AM

I used to have a shelfari waaay back in the day. I switched over to goodreads when it started up as I found more people were using it. I finished yesterday Patricia Brigg's new book Fire Touched. I'm getting suspicious. How is she able to consistently write such good books year after year.

(also heey guys)

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 03-12-2016, 07:31 AM

I spent half the morning playing around with Libib, yet another book cataloging site. It has a pretty, minimalistic aesthetic, and it's fairly intuitive once you get the hang of it. Plus, it includes the ability to catalog videos, music, and video games! There are still plenty of features on Goodreads that I like so I won't be jumping ship any time soon, but the more I used Libib, the more I liked it.

Then again, I'm a librarian-in-training, and Libib has pro features that allow you to lend your collection. How can I resist that?

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-12-2016, 01:35 PM

@ Melissa: Long time no see!

@ Chex: Whaa?! You're a librarian in training? That's awesome!

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 03-12-2016, 10:49 PM

I admit, I think it's pretty great, haha. I'm working towards my masters degree online.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-12-2016, 11:36 PM

That's so cool! How long have you been studying it? I wonder what sorts of assignments and things you have to do...

Melissa
*^_^*

Old 03-13-2016, 12:30 AM

@ zig !

So far I've read 9 books towards my reading challenge (which I set to 35, but I usually read more than)

fire touched - patricia briggs
the cardturner - louis sachar
illuminae - amie kaufman & jay kristoff (OMG it was so good)
carry on - rainbow rowell
avatar last airbender (the promise #1)
kenny and the dragon - tony diterlizzi
all aboard the wonderful world of disney trains
lumberjanes vol 1
the marvels - brain selznick (AMAZING)

so if anyone has read any of them and would like to talk...or wants to know about them...

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 03-13-2016, 09:16 PM

zig, I'm in my second semester. This term I'm taking classes in reference services (i.e. how to help people find information they want) and library management (i.e. how to get people organized). They're both very people-oriented topics, which I find challenging as an introvert, but they're quite useful and interesting too. In management, I'm working on a team project of inventing a library/organization and creating a strategic plan for it (how many employees do we have, what's the budget, what kinds of programs are we going to run, etc). In my reference class, we've been doing a lot of discussions and answering hypothetical reference questions. For my next project, I have to shadow an actual reference librarian at work and interview them.

So that's more or less what I'm up to this term. I'm looking forward to taking classes in archiving, cataloging, programming, and web design in the future.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-14-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
@ zig !

So far I've read 9 books towards my reading challenge (which I set to 35, but I usually read more than)

fire touched - patricia briggs
the cardturner - louis sachar
illuminae - amie kaufman & jay kristoff (OMG it was so good)
carry on - rainbow rowell
avatar last airbender (the promise #1)
kenny and the dragon - tony diterlizzi
all aboard the wonderful world of disney trains
lumberjanes vol 1
the marvels - brain selznick (AMAZING)

so if anyone has read any of them and would like to talk...or wants to know about them...
Oh! I just started reading Lumberjanes too! I think I'm on volume 4? I think I only have 6 volumes though. I like it but I'm too lazy to go out and buy the rest. ^^;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexala View Post
zig, I'm in my second semester. This term I'm taking classes in reference services (i.e. how to help people find information they want) and library management (i.e. how to get people organized). They're both very people-oriented topics, which I find challenging as an introvert, but they're quite useful and interesting too. In management, I'm working on a team project of inventing a library/organization and creating a strategic plan for it (how many employees do we have, what's the budget, what kinds of programs are we going to run, etc). In my reference class, we've been doing a lot of discussions and answering hypothetical reference questions. For my next project, I have to shadow an actual reference librarian at work and interview them.

So that's more or less what I'm up to this term. I'm looking forward to taking classes in archiving, cataloging, programming, and web design in the future.
Oh wow! There's a lot more to librarian studies than I even knew! That's really quite fascinating!