Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 01-23-2011, 10:27 AM

I think I might have a book splurge on amazon today. c: I have the urge for some new books, though, I really should look through the books I already have first hehehe :P
Atm I'm reading the Spellgrinders Apprentice by N.M Browne, not sure whether I really like it yet, it seems to take forever to read for me and I have no idea why. I'm gonna stick with it though, my mum says it good.
Anyone got any books they wanna suggest to me to buy? I do not like horror or anything scary. I really like fantasy and Sci-fi, but I don't like it when sci-fi's are too technological because I get lost in Jargon. Also with fantasy I'm not too much of a fan when it's over done, I often like it to have a bit of realism to it. c:
I just realised how picky I sound. Haha c:
I might as well through in one more thing, I like books with a good plot twist as I am usually always predicting and getting right what happens in books so it's a pleasant surprise when a book tricks me. c:
So anyone dare to suggest something? :o

AishaLeigh
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via MSN to AishaLeigh Send a message via Yahoo to AishaLeigh

Old 01-23-2011, 11:07 AM

@ taiyo and eastriel: yeah i have a lot of time on my hands considering i don't have a job and its pretty close to me being without one for a year. give it a couple more months and it will be. plus it helps that IF i find a book that's interesting i don't like to get out of it till i'm done.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 01-24-2011, 12:21 AM

*sneaks back in* I am irony incarnate.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 01-24-2011, 12:29 AM

Show me the irony then. XD

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 01-24-2011, 02:25 AM

I hate math, yet I'm good at it. And up until I was eight my parents couldn't get me to read. Now you can't even get my head out of a book!

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 AM

I've decided to take on this challenge, was going to start November or December last year but figured I'd wait another month or two and make it so I start on the 1st of January of this year 2011....Since this is my first year I'll be including every book I read from start to finish. Novels, graphic novels, manga, picture books, non-fiction books and possibly magazines, if I read one from the front cover to the back.

Ling's Booklist 2011

1. How to Write Your First Novel written by Sophie King
2. The Night Country written by Bryce Courtenay
3. Naruto volume 36 by Masashi Kishimoto
4. Naruto voume 37 by Masashi Kishimoto
5. Naruto volume 38 by Masashi Kishimoto
6. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
7. Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon and Dean Hale (Illustrated by Nathan Hale)
8. The Staring Owl by Luke Edwards
9. The Race for the Chinese Zodiac by Gabrielle Wang (Illustrated by Sally Rippin and Regine Abos)
10. Naruto volume 39 by Masashi Kishimoto
11. Naruto volume 40 by Masashi Kishimoto
12. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
13. The Princess and the Pea retold by Stephanie Peters (Illustrated by M.A. Lamoreaux)
14. Black Bird volume 5 by Kanako Sakurakoji
15. Alice in the Country of Hearts volume 1 by Quinrose (art by Soumei Hoshino)
16. Alice in the Country of Hearts volume 2 by Quinrose (art by Soumei Hoshino)
17. Naruto volume 41 by Masashi Kishimoto
18. Naruto volume 42 Masashi Kishimoto
19. Cactus's Secret volume 2 by Nana Haruta
20. Naruto volume 41 by Masashi Kishimoto
21. Vampire Knight volume 10 Matsuri Hino
22. The Big Little Book of Happy Sadness by Colin Thompson
23. The Paradise Garden by Colin Thompson
24. Naruto volume 44 by Masashi Kishimoto
25. The Sandman: The Dream Hunters by Neil Gaiman (Illulstrated by P. Craig Russell)
26. Kingyo Used Books volume 1 by Seimu Yoshizuki
27. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles volume 28 by CLAMP
28. Alice in the Country of Hearts volume 3 by Quinrose (art by Soumei Hoshino)
29. Alice in the Country of Hearts volume 4 by Quinrose (art by Soumei Hoshino)
30. Hereville: How Mirka Got Her Sword by Barry Deustch
31. Naruto volume 45 by Masashi Kishimoto
32. Sand Chronicles volume 9 Hinako Ashihara
33. Bakuman volume 1 Story by Tsugumi Ohba (Art by Takeshi Obata)
34. AirGear volume 5 by Oh! Great
35. Daniel X by James Patterson with Michael Ledwidge (art by Seung Hui Kye)
36. Sand Chronicles volume 10 Hinako Ashihara
37. Children of the Sea volume 1 by Daisuka Igarashi
38. Portrait of M & N volume 2 by Tachibana Higuchi
39. Portrait of M & N volume 3 by Tachibana Higuchi
40. Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 by David Peterson
41. Cactus's Secret volume 3 by Nana Haruta
42. Portrait of M & N volume 4 by Tachibana Higuchi
43. Daddy-Long-Legs and Dear Enemy by Jean Webster
44. Mouse Guard: Winter 1152 by David Petersen
45. Instructions by Neil Gaiman illustrated by Chales Vess
46. Zooborns - the newest, cutest animals from the world's zoo and aquariums by Andrew Bleiman and Chris Eastland
47. Alice in the country of hearts volume 5 by Quinrose (art by Soumei Hoshino)
48. Ghostopolis Doug TenNapel
49. Cactus's Secret volume 4 by Nana Haruta
50. Buddha volume 1 by Osamu Tezuka
51. Bakuman 2 Story by Tsugumi Ohba (art by Takeshi Obata)
52. Naruto volume 46 by Masashi Kishimoto
53. Vampire Knight volume 11 Matsuri Hino
54. Mercury by Hope Larson
55. Children of the Sea volume 2 by Daisuke Igarashi
56. Buddha volume 2 by Osamu Tezuka
57. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (adapted by Nancy Butler and Sonny Liew)
58. Buddha volume 3 by Osamu Tezuka
59. Bakuman volume 3 Story by Tsugumi Ohba (art by Takeshi Obata)
60. Naruto volume 47. Masashi Kishimoto
61. Pandora Hearts volume 1 by Jun Mochizuki

Last edited by Ling; 06-07-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Crimson Fang
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Fang Send a message via MSN to Crimson Fang

Old 01-24-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonCameo View Post
@Crimson-Well,better to aim high and get trough a lot of books ,then aim too low and reach my goal too easily!
Haha, well I certainly will not be aiming that high. I think my 50 target will be a fairly accurate prediction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iltu View Post
Crimson- Hopefully we can both pick up our pace substantially! I'm hoping come spring time I'll be able to start ripping though books like a mad woman, since I'll have spring break, and a month or so after that, school should be slowing down some, given that AP tests will be wrapping up, and seniors don't have to take final exams so our teachers won't be running us ragged for those. :) I don't imagine I'll have much time in the summer or once college starts, so spring is my time!
I know you're reading high level books, I imagine that must take some time! Goodness knows I'm incredibly slow with books that demand the extra mile for comprehension.
Yeah, I am sure we will be able to address our pacing issue! Haha and not all the books I am reading are high level. One of the current books for instance is aimed more at people in the medical profession. As such it is simplified a fair amount as it is taking into account they are most likely unfamiliar with anthropological theory.

RisikaFox
is bored... Amuse me? ^^

Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 AM

@Ling: You're off to an excellent start. ^^ That Rapunzel's Revenge... What is it about? Sounds fascinating.

ljosberinn
This is an obnoxious and offensi...

Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 PM

Thanks guys! It's such a great feeling to be able to read fiction on the train again without feeling guilty! :D And good luck to everyone else doing the list of course.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 01-25-2011, 12:16 AM

@Tayio-I always hated doing homework and school,now I can't wait to go back to university! lol Life I think..Is full of irony.

@Crimson-I may seem to be going slow now,but that's just because I'm not finding books that interest me enough!

Crimson Fang
*^_^*

Old 01-25-2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljosberinn View Post

Thanks guys! It's such a great feeling to be able to read fiction on the train again without feeling guilty! :D And good luck to everyone else doing the list of course.

*Gasp* I envy you so much right now! I am not able to read while traveling as I get motion sickness. So next time you read while on the train, you need to enjoy it twice as much. That way you can compensate for me being unable to do it. =3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonCameo View Post
@Crimson-I may seem to be going slow now,but that's just because I'm not finding books that interest me enough!
Ah, that is most certainly a good point. I am quite fortunate in having a large amount of books. I am even currently awaiting four books to arrive via the post which explore sexuality.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 AM

@Crimson-If a book really interests me I can finish it in a day,no matter how long it is! Believe me,I've read seven hundred pages in one day before.

Crimson Fang
*^_^*

Old 01-25-2011, 01:41 AM

Your reading rate is vastly superior to mine. If I read about one hundred and fifty pages in a day, I feel I have made good progress. xD

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-25-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisikaFox View Post
@Ling: You're off to an excellent start. ^^ That Rapunzel's Revenge... What is it about? Sounds fascinating.
Thanks RisikaFox. ^^ I'm on summer holidays at the moment, so I decided to read plenty while I can to make up for times when I'm studying and aren't able to read as much.

The following is what Rapunzel's Revenge is about:

Rapunzel's Revenge is a graphic novel. It starts off with a story vaguely similar to the Rapunzel fairy tale most people are familiar with. From there it's a western cowboy style story about her journey to save her real mother and everyone else from the wrath of the evil 'Mother' Gothel who was the one who trapped Rapunzel in the tower.

The illustrations were typical of an American comic, but the story was very interesting and the Rapunzel character was a lot more interesting than in the original tale.

I hope I haven't revealed too much...to be considered spoiler...Please let me know if I have and I'll edit this post.

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 01-25-2011, 05:01 AM

Hello all! I see Ling has started her challenge.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-25-2011, 05:04 AM

I sure have! :D

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 AM

Have fun reading like a crazy person!

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 AM

I like to think I read like a sane person....ah well. =3

Crimson Fang
*^_^*

Old 01-25-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiyoTsuki View Post
Have fun reading like a crazy person!
Hahaha I must admit that I am extremely curious as to how one would read like a crazy person. :P

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 AM

So am I! Now that I think about it....

ljosberinn

Old 01-25-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Fang View Post
*Gasp* I envy you so much right now! I am not able to read while traveling as I get motion sickness. So next time you read while on the train, you need to enjoy it twice as much. That way you can compensate for me being unable to do it. =3

Oh no! I certainly will do, and I'm sorry about that.. trains are my main reading places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Fang View Post
I am even currently awaiting four books to arrive via the post which explore sexuality.
Ooh, which ones? I've been reading a bunch on gender and queer theory for my dissertation and a lot of it has branched a bit out to sexuality, though I had to skip most of it as it wasn't relevant to my paper. :/

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 01-25-2011, 07:45 AM

...no one decided to answer my plea... : (

Crimson Fang
*^_^*

Old 01-25-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ling View Post
So am I! Now that I think about it....
I am somewhat relived, as I felt like I was the only one who did not know what it was. xD Hopefully they educate us soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljosberinn View Post

Oh no! I certainly will do, and I'm sorry about that.. trains are my main reading places.

Ooh, which ones? I've been reading a bunch on gender and queer theory for my dissertation and a lot of it has branched a bit out to sexuality, though I had to skip most of it as it wasn't relevant to my paper. :/
I being the world's biggest dork, one of them I got purely because the name made me giggle. It is called Pomosexuals, it is aiming to be a post modern take on sexuality.

The other books are The Cultural Construction of Sexuality,
Lesbian Sex Scandals - Sexual Practices
and CELTIC SEXUALITY: Power, Paradigms and Passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastriel View Post
...no one decided to answer my plea... : (
Unfortunately I am not really able to offer any advice.

ljosberinn

Old 01-25-2011, 08:37 AM

Oh wow, they all sound really interesting, especially PoMoSexuals.. and I didn't know that about the Celts, very interesting indeed. Will you let me know how they are when you're done with them? I'm thinking about putting PoMoSexuals on my wishlist so I can buy it when I have money (and have read at least a little bit more of my already-filling-up bookshelves).

Eastriel, have you read Neil Gaiman? It's really good fantasy, reading your description made me think of American Gods. Happens in modern day America and is about how the gods and goddesses of old still reside there, and are fighting for attention of the humans against the new gods of technology. Maybe sounds a bit silly the way I describe it, but it's really good, especially if you're interested in mythology at all, and a lot of the time although you know quite clearly who the bad guys are, you really don't know what's going to happen next.. the gods are unpredictable beings!
Also, if you want sci-fi that is not full of jargon and very, very funny, I recommend The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

Crimson Fang
*^_^*

Old 01-25-2011, 08:47 AM

I am looking forward to the PoMoSexuals and the Cultural Construction of sexuality the most. I currently own Sexual Meanings: The Cultural Construction of Gender and Sexuality. Not sure if you know about that book, but it has contributions by some key anthropologists such as Sherry B. Ortner and Michelle Z. Rosaldo