Insomniac
Janitor
Administrator

Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 PM

Hey everyone,

Looking at the stats it seems like over 10% of the site is made up of roleplayers. The current 'features' for you guys seem to be limited to the dice and having this here forum. I know roleplaying doesn't involve a lot of feature usage, but the space definitely has room for improvement. So if you have a moment, I'd love to hear any feedback you can give on the following:

Why do you roleplay? Why do you choose Menewsha for this?

What are your thoughts on the current PG-13 restriction? If there was an 18+ section that didn't earn gold so the mods didn't have to read it would you be interested in it?

What features would you like to see to make your roleplays easier/better?

Can you think of anything that would be worth paying mennies for?

If you roleplay on other sites, what do they offer that you like? If you answer this, please elaborate your answer for me. Are those sites monetized by anything other than ads?

Thanks guys!

Amber Absolution
Haunted by Kingdom hospital
Send a message via MSN to Amber Absolution

Old 07-18-2010, 09:43 PM

I personally use Menewsha to roleplay because nearly everyone is friendly, and there's always something going on.

I personally think that an 18+ part would be an interesting Idea even though you wouldn't earn gold. Then roleplays could take their 18+ parts over there, and the pg-13 on the gold earning parts of the site.

Lady Angel Konan
Anastasia
Send a message via AIM to Lady Angel Konan Send a message via MSN to Lady Angel Konan Send a message via Yahoo to Lady Angel Konan

Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 PM

ability to delete posts if you accidentally screw it up? :< which i tend to do at least once in every RP.

I use roleplaying as a way to escape life for a few hours, cuz my life if super stressful

I AGREE WITH AMBER!!!

Sikira_Uchiha
Live Evil
Send a message via Yahoo to Sikira_Uchiha

Old 07-18-2010, 09:51 PM

Agreed with Amber since some times for 18+ it's tiring to switch between on and off the site. The not earning gold for it will just have to be dealt with in my world.

Also agree with Kishiya screwing up posts makes me very upset though I do tend to just go back and edit them.

As of things to use mennies for I'm not sure....Can't think of anything...

Clair Voyant
}-(((*>

Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 PM

Well, for one, I role play for the author-reader perspective of it. I get to not only be an author (I love to write), but I also get to be a dedicated reader, as half (or more, depending on how many partners I have) of the story I don't know and excitedly wait to read. :)

I think it's an interesting idea to have an 18+ roleplay area, as there are many role players of those age groups, and it would give chance to develope rp stories. :sweat: Would it be alright to have an rp in PG-13 section, and have, like a branch of the same RP in the 18+ for any parts of that RP that might go over PG-13? :)

Imoto-chan_Always
Hot Water Goblin

Old 07-18-2010, 09:57 PM

I really like the question/answer system you guys have here for feedback. It makes it easier to respond. XD

I roleplay for much the same reason I play video games. I have a little extra time on my hands, and books and movies just aren't interactive enough for me. I'm the kind of person who gets most of their entertainment from things that are interactive, and roleplaying gives me the satisfaction of reading while still allowing me to control some of the story. Also, I've always enjoyed writing, so it gives me a good reason to write without having to be judged. I mainly RP on Gaia, Menewsha, and Roliana. However, if I start to find that one site isn't giving me many fulfilling RPs, I will leave for a time and then return when I begin to get the same problem with one of the others. Menewsha is just a good fishing spot for this.

While I understand the under 13 restriction, as an adult I've never liked it. I think a separate forum the mods wouldn't have to patrol would be good, although I would only personally use it for the brief moments in an RP become too explicit for the regular forum. I doubt I would use it exclusively for an entire RP.

I can't really think of any good features to add. I like the option of using a Group/one on one label for the "searching for" threads, but maybe you could also add one for illiterate/semi-lit/literate? A proper match of literacy levels between RP partners is essential, although I admit I've only ever been horrifyingly disappointed once (and on a different site.)

Honestly, short of a plushie that you could own in real life, not really. >.>

As for Gaia, there are guilds specifically dedicated to a certain type RPing where I know people are dedicated, well-versed, and interested in similar topics. It becomes sort of like a small community, since there are fewer people and they all tend to run into one another eventually. Gaia sells a lot of items found on the site, so they make money in many different ways other than adds, although there are plenty of those as well.
Roliana is a smaller community, but full of good RPers. For some reason, it seems to be easier to earn gold there. I'm not sure why. There is a limit on the amount of BB code you can use and a limit to the gold that can be earned on a single post, which I feel encourages people to make shorter posts than they might have otherwise. However, it does keep the ornamental clutter out of posts.

Last edited by Imoto-chan_Always; 07-18-2010 at 10:00 PM..

FeyonaSaibre
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to FeyonaSaibre Send a message via MSN to FeyonaSaibre Send a message via Yahoo to FeyonaSaibre

Old 07-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Why do you roleplay?
Because it's a great de-stresser and because it's fun to get to know other people's characters and RP styles. I also agree with Clair Voyant on her reader/writer prospective of it.

Quote:
Why do you choose Menewsha for this?
Because most of Mene is fairly literate. (I mean it's in the T's & C's ya?) And RPing is really hard if you can't tell what they're trying to say!! Also because people here are a lot more likely to post more than one sentence at a time.

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the current PG-13 restriction?
I can work around it!

Quote:
If there was an 18+ section that didn't earn gold so the mods didn't have to read it would you be interested in it?
YUSSSSS!! T_T Then my boyfriend and I could RP! *winks*

Quote:
Delete button for sure... and maybe character sheets?

Quote:
o.o;; Nothing off the top of my head... but I suppose that I COULD post again if I think of something.

Quote:
If you roleplay on other sites, what do they offer that you like?
This is the only site I RP in anymore strictly because I stopped liking the other sites.

Last edited by FeyonaSaibre; 07-18-2010 at 10:28 PM..

Seer Of the Future
Live Breathe Art

Old 07-18-2010, 10:07 PM

Well personally the idea of the 18+ places sounds great. As well as the idea of being able to delet posts. ^^ I agree with amber.

Fate's Pearl
(^._.^)ノ

Old 07-18-2010, 10:11 PM

I use roleplaying as a creative outlet. Among other things, its good writing practice, and I enjoy being able to watch a story grow. Its amazing for getting ideas down that normally would be able to be put down any other way or by myself. I chose Menewsha because I was getting sick of the constant changes that gaia was putting on their sight and how expensive everything was because gold was easy to get. I find that the Mene community is more literate, and has more to offer to the role players because its more friendly. I also like how the sight is set up much better than gaia its strait forward and easy to find things. I also find the avatar system more to my liking as well. The "Quick Post" makes it easier for role players to respond and I use it a lot.

The 18+ area sounds interesting although I personally wouldn't use it I'm sure there would be a lot who do. The lack of gold earning is fine also because it would be a compromise.

Changes I guess I'd like to see would to put font size control in the quick post it'd be really cool. And I agree with the others a delete function would be awesome. So we didn't have to ask people to delete it for us. I know that this was brought up before and there was a delete function but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it since. (hehe)

As for things that people would pay mennies for...I can't think of anything perhaps a temporary gold bonus. Like if you pay 10 menies then you can get an hour of double the gold type thing. I think people would like that. But I couldn't say for sure. (this was an example also)

Forever_Trapped
Fallen Angel, destined to fly; B...

Old 07-18-2010, 10:15 PM

I come here because it has a more... wide area for pictures (the posts dont have an limited picture space, like you can have six, where some sites you can only have two). Everyone's so cool and sweet and awesomely flexable on RPs. Gaia was okay, people arent as literate there, and my other site -DollWizard- is failing because the main Mod left and she wont come back to fix the site which makes me mad.

And I would kind of like the idea of having the ability to delet posts, and maybe more gold earn-age per post, since that's how most of us make our 'living' here. XD As for the 18+ section - it sounds really wicked, but I cant use it for another six-seven months XD
Maybe more fonts to use, more colors, 'decoration's for the post *ie, a 'frame' for a post, I dont know if I'm making sense*, a way for us to be much more creative with our charactors and things like that.
And I totally agree with Fate's Pearl on what she says, in fact, I agree with a lot of what people say here.

Aoi Kazuya
"I'm nobody, who are you?"

Old 07-18-2010, 10:17 PM

I roleplay because it's a great way for me to release pent up emotions and to prevent the emotional breakdowns/meltdowns I'm prone to having. It's also a fun way for me to pass my time. I chose Menewsha specifically because this is where I first started roleplaying, it's become a habit, and the people here are really very nice.

A specific area for 18+ sounds interesting as well, though I doubt I'll be using it much. It'll definitely help not to have to switch around to other sites for some people.

Oh and like Forever said, maybe more fonts would be nice, to make our posts prettier. As for mennies...I'm not sure. What could we use mennies for that is related to roleplaying?

Harraku
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to Harraku

Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Why do you roleplay? Why do you choose Menewsha for this?:
I roleplay because I love to read and write and I can do both here. Its also another way of escaping your life for a bit and to be someone else who is capable of things that you might not be. Like flying an airship or being able to cast spells.^^

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the current PG-13 restriction? If there was an 18+ section that didn't earn gold so the mods didn't have to read it would you be interested in it?:
I think the pg-13 is fine. The idea of an 18+ section sounds great.
Quote:
For one things I like how much more simplistic it is to roleplay here then say like Gaia. There, everyone is worrying about decorating their posts, and I think it sort of takes away the essence of their writing. I know I get lazy because I dont like having to have change the font color every time my character speaks. So for now I have no complaints.
Quote:
Um, honestly? No. Maybe some shirts or something. Or if you were doing a really cool feature at a con, then maybe then.

kurobizzle
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to kurobizzle

Old 07-18-2010, 10:23 PM

I usually never roleplayed until I joined Menewsha. It's my creative outlet. It's such a nice website with friendly and different people. I don't do many group role plays anymore, but before when I did, I could find anything that fit my mood. There's so many rps to choose from and many rp-ers who are willing to do any kind of role play with you.

I don't really mind an 18+ roleplaying section, but not very excited. I'm not into that kind of roleplaying. I'll come check by once in a while, but I doubt I'd use it often.

Nothing comes to mind to make role playing here easier. Nor do I really use mennies yet. And I don't roleplay in any other sites. I'm very loyal to Menewsha.

kandii_k
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via MSN to kandii_k

Old 07-18-2010, 10:26 PM

I think it's fun to be someone else for a while. Menewsha is the first sight I ever Rped on. One of the menewshans who welcomed me in the Fresh Meat thread reccomended it. So I joined one and I have been entering others ever since. I just wished they wouldn't all die so quickly. The PG-3 restriction is great. It keeps everyone safe but I guess an 18+ one would be pretty cool, I swear like a pirate.For the 18+ threads maybe you can charge menewshans to start one? Then the RPers could be charged for the first thread? Idk, just throwing out some random ideas. Other RP sights normally have ads for other RPGs. Thats how I stumbled upon other sights besides Menewsha and Gaia.

TobiasRosetta
Live, Breath, Sleep RP.
Send a message via AIM to TobiasRosetta

Old 07-18-2010, 10:28 PM

I roleplay because It's a way of sharing the worlds inside of yourself with your friends, and having someone to help build them into something bigger and better. Its an escape, yes, but I find that it helps me in my own personal life, because playing through my characters makes me look at myself, and what I would personally do in the situations my characters are put in.

I play on Menewsha because, it's still pure. It's easy to find really good RPers on here, and the site isn't as commercial and hard to navigate as the other site's that I'm part of. I came to Menewsha from Gaia, where I started RPing seriously. But since I've been on Mene, I don't hardly go on Gaia at all anymore. I really like how this feels like a close society of people who truly enjoy RP.

I would REALLY love to see an 18+ section, because it's difficult for those of us who are adults to compromise on finding a suitable medium in which we can take those scenes that aren't appropriate in a PG-13 setting.

I do think it would be incredibly beneficial to have a feature where we can delete posts, instead of editing them blank, and wasting space.

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I roleplay because I like to write; it helps me practice things out and try out new characters and senarios. I use Menewsha because on here people aren't worried about their Avii's like they are on other sites. It has become an environment that I could relax in.

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the current PG-13 restriction? If there was an 18+ section that didn't earn gold so the mods didn't have to read it would you be interested in it?
The rating system really has been an issue among many people and on different sites. I have noted a number of people becoming upset because of the existance of such a system. I could see both good and bad things coming from an 18+ section. It would be good because those who really want to roleplay in such a manner could, but bad in the sense that the younger populations may stummble upon it; whether it be on purpose or not.

Quote:
The only real thing I can think of would be given the option to actually be able to delete posts. It may be an option that is not used all the time, but when needed it comes in handy.

Quote:
Something to pay with mennies... Roleplaying is just something that uses one's imagination. The characters and scenarios come with a collaboration of minds so I can't really think of how mennies would come into play, sorry. Oh, but one thing that you could do that is unrelated to roleplaying, is you could use mennies to possibly get more 'money' to purchase things from the shops, just an idea ^^

Quote:
If you roleplay on other sites, what do they offer that you like? If you answer this, please elaborate your answer for me. Are those sites monetized by anything other than ads?
I used to roleplay on Gaia all the time. There was one thing that I liked there and that was the fact that they had 'guilds'. They were just groups that people started over similar interests; some of which were roleplay guilds. Of course the actual roleplay forum that Gaia had was much too quick for anyone to be able to keep up with so I was never on there. Hopefully with growing numbers such a thing could be considered. As for how they were made; you paid 20,000 gold to start the guild and then paid a few thousand for your 'sub topics'.

MoodyBats
Scarce Menewshan

Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 PM

I roleplay because its fun and brings the inner inspiration out in me and i like to have fun.It also brings out my inner character :)

I choose menewsha for roleplaying because in my opinion menewsha is one heck of a great place to roleplay.Menewsha has so many great roleplayers on here and not to mention their are so many nice people here.

I am good with the PG-13 restriction :) If there was an 18+ section i would be absolutely fine with it to be honest :heart: i would be interested in it :)

kionaredhawk
Purple magic swirls and undulate...

Old 07-18-2010, 10:33 PM

This is the best site I have used thus far for roleplaying because everybody is really nice and the atmosphere is grand :)

As far as the pg-13 restriction, I think you should keep it at that. Pm's are for the sex bits of rping. There is not way to keep those under 18 from that part. We don't know who's really of age and who isn't. Plus, I feel keeping it pg-13 makes older rpers stretch and show their abilities :) I understand why others want one and I know it's a little hard for me to keep it clean but pg-13 means you can still kiss, still suggest at things, as long as there are no real details. Several rp's have it to where they say it's a mature rp so it still works within the pg-13 critieria but wrongs those younger that they may not want to join that rp.

Mene rocks ^^

Kayannara
Mutt

Old 07-18-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I love to roleplay because generally it's a way to escape real life! Oh, and because I've yet to find things like Lykae, Vampires and all those other awesome creatures in real life. As for Menewsha....I tried Gaia. It didn't work out.

Quote:
I like the PG-13 restriction, mostly because...well, it'd be way to easy for younger kids to get into an 18+ section, which would probably melt their little brains! I wouldn't be really interested in an 18+ Section in other words. If nastiness is going on, keep it private....

Quote:
Well, I've noticed that there's alot of buttons in the reply area; not just the obvious ones for Bold, Italics, Center spacing, etc, maybe a little drop-tab or something to explain better what the 'Special' tag, amongst others, does....more than just the blurb that says; Wrap [SPECIAL] tags around selected text.

Quote:
Umm...maybe alot more backgrounds for avatars??

Quote:
Well.....Gaia has things you can buy in real life; Plushies and t-shirts and stuff, I know wholesalers can sell shirts of all sizes fairly cheap and it doesn't cost much to get a logo or image printed onto the fabric....? As for being monetized.....I think everyone knows the answer to that. :yumeh2:

Flish
Dead Account Holder

Old 07-18-2010, 10:37 PM

Kinny roleplays because he's passionate about creativity.

He chose Mene cuz he hasn't tried a roleplay here yet. So far, it's more advanced than other roleplaying sites.

As for improvements... Perhaps an 18+ forum with its own secret mods? Cuz if there's no gold on a forum, he'll just do IM roleplays if it's 18+ *nod* That could just be him though. Perhaps a way to automatically find roleplays by a certain person? Some people like stalking. XD

OH! And before Kinny forgets... an easier way to get to bookmarks? D8> At this point, it's easier to just leave every thread Kinny is active in open. XD;

Oh, and as for what makes Kinny want to RP in other sites? Each forum Kinny has been to has a different community. So far, Mene and a few others are at the same level of "tech" for RPs, though.

OH! Another improvement... More BBCode available to use! 8D A title bbcode, pretty things! XD Pretty things are amazing ways to draw people into a roleplay-seeking thread.

Last edited by Flish; 07-18-2010 at 10:40 PM..

Mageling
Mostly void, partially stars

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Mageling

Old 07-18-2010, 10:37 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with the poeple who proposed the delete button. I like the idea of the 18+ section as well, or to have an option on normal reply forms to set that particular post to 18+ so people can view it if they want to. It would still not earn gold for that post, but it might be easier than moving to an entirely different section. *shrugs* Just a suggestion, take it as you will. I still like the idea of an 18+ section.

Amber Absolution
Haunted by Kingdom hospital
Send a message via MSN to Amber Absolution

Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 PM

I think little, but rather nice things, are the way to go with mennies. For example I go on neopets from time to time (even if I am a little old for it :3) but they have made it so a substantial and nice chunk of the site is not useable if you don't pay for it. For example, paying a small amount to change things about your characters name like it's font would be a nice little idea. Things that people will pay for, but if they don't they're not missing out on the good parts of the site.

Venin666
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Venin666

Old 07-18-2010, 10:52 PM

an 18+ site would be great even with the no gold option it is someplace for those censored scenes in the PG-13 area can go if needed..

Delete button would be great too even pre-writing i can still mess up massively enought to just delete and start over.

As for the mennies option...i don't know i'd say something along costumes but you seem to have that pretty covered in the shops.

The Bebe Girl
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 07-18-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I roleplay as a sort of escape, and to let me try out what its like to me things real life doesn't allow for. I like Mene for RPs because it moves farily quickly.
Quote:
To be honest i time skip anyway so it doesnt mean that much to me at all.

Quote:
A delet post function? An maybe if we could have the live posting taken off with some sort of thing that stops you from posting and shows you if somebody posted while you were typiing....thats always an issue with me when i RP.

Quote:
To be blunt, no.

Quote:
I roleplay on SoliaOnline too, and i really havent seen it metichoned anywhere but through a friend recomending it for me. I don't think they have anything we dont...accualy you said something about dice so i think we have more....but their RPs tend to last longer and have less people per group. Maybe if we had a long term RP subforum. I would be more tempted to do my longterm RPs here then...

TearRose
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 AM

I roleplay to get ideas for stories and because i love writting stories with others and expand my knowledge of writting. And i choose Menewsha because the people here don't ignore your character if you are trying to make contact with their's.

I would be a little bit interested in an 18 and up section mainly because I write yaois and yuris and it's a bit hard to get into those stories without some type of intercorse. not only that, but as i said earlier, i like to learn how other's write.

I would like to be able to make my posts pretty: pictures, sentences that elaborate my character, and so on. I can't do this now because it's one of the rules. but i think it'd be better if we were able to do that because then people won't have to go back to the first page to look at how a character looks if they are trying to discribe someone else, and then loose all that they've written because they had to go back. (i've done this many times)

paying mennies in the roleplaying section? I think if someone were to disobey the rules that the creator of the roleplay made, they should pay mennies to them and if it involves someone else (like godmodding another character) they should pay that person as well.

i roleplay on a few other sites. but 2 of them are a chat roleplay which isn't all that fun because you can't go back to it the next day. and the other one is the same as this. but they allow the users to decorate their postings as i have mentioned earlier.