Kinnikuman Surfer
Kamen Rider 5-O
Send a message via AIM to Kinnikuman Surfer Send a message via MSN to Kinnikuman Surfer Send a message via Yahoo to Kinnikuman Surfer

Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 AM

Hey all, just thought I'd try my hand at creating a topic for the first time so bare with me ^_^; As you guess from the topic, this is about good franchises gone bad due to live action movies. For example Super Mario, DragonBall, and Mortal Kombat to name a few.
I'll be first to admit I may be harsh on certain movies that others fine very enjoyable and "cool" if you would. But this is just from my point of view as a fan of the original, and/or knowledge of said series.

My vote goes for Street Fighter, Dragon Ball, and Blood : The Last Vampire for the time being. There are more, but I wanna see what others feel didn't do justice to their famous names

Escapist
Paradise Seeker

Old 10-28-2009, 07:45 PM

I guess Twilight isn't exactly a classic, but I really enjoyed the books. The movie, however, made me want to kill myself. It was terrible and ruined it all for me. In a way I guess I'm glad I jumped off the Twilight bandwagon before it got so crowded with the little 12-year-old obsessors.

But I also agree with you on your choices of Super Mario and Dragon Ball. Haven't seen the Mortal Kombat movies. However, SM and DB I thought were absolutely hillarious. If I want a good laugh, I'll watch them. But there's no way I could take those movies seriously.

Aggy the Awesome
Poo-tang-a-dang

Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 PM

See, I actually enjoyed Dragonball Evolution. Sure, the script was bad and some of the acting made me giggle, but overall, I found it entertaining. As far as it following the anime show, it failed. However, for for a kid movie with pretty decent effects for its budget, I can watch it. I actually own it -guilty pleasure-

Best line:
Quote:
"DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAGON...THE TEST OF SEVEN HAS BEEN FULFILLED!"
That line inspired me.

Talentless_Muse
Ore hero da!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:07 AM

I saw the Dragonball movie with a couple of friends. We went specifically for the purpose of sitting there and snarking at it the whole time. That was pretty much the only thing that made it even remotely bearable to watch because it was almost nothing like the series.

Kinnikuman Surfer
Kamen Rider 5-O
Send a message via AIM to Kinnikuman Surfer Send a message via MSN to Kinnikuman Surfer Send a message via Yahoo to Kinnikuman Surfer

Old 10-30-2009, 05:59 AM

Wow, guess I'm not the only one with Dragonball on their list. Sure I'll admit, as a movie, it was watchable (for awhile then i got a headache and turned it off) I think it was just the thought of them trying to live up to the name and characters that got me and most other fans. I truely think that if they went with a different title and renamed the characters it would've been that much more popular and accepted by people. But in the long run, like many toy/cartoon/anime/game related movies... They usually come up short.

I still have hope though, there were afew anime/manga based ones that were really close to or true to thier origins so to speak. Dororo was very interesting and fun, as well as the Prince of Tennis and Initial D movies. Though I think that's alil off topic since this is the "worst" live action movie thread... Perhaps I'll, or someone already made, a "best" topic on the forums

Talentless_Muse
Ore hero da!

Old 10-30-2009, 06:32 PM

With the way the Dragonball movie turned out, I don't think it was particularly watchable for most people.

To people who were fans of the series, it was largely unbearable because they changed the familiar characterizations, took away the iconic looks, removed many known characters, and muddled the story that they were so familiar with. I mean, the only character I felt came out even close to right was Muten Roshi, and the massive change in the backstory was largely unnecessary and served almost no benefit to the narrative. They could have easily done away with the whole Oozaru thing, and I think the story would've come off better for it. They needed to expand on the story with Piccolo, who has very appearances, fewer lines, and turns into a total anticlimax baddie at the end of the movie. They built him up throughout the movie to be this monumental threat, but they never delivered on it.

For those who weren't fans who went to see it, I can't imagine they got much enjoyment out of it because of the almost zero amount of explanation a lot of things got. I mean, there were just enough shout outs to fans of the series to make it largely incomprehensible to those who were coming in with no background knowledge of the Dragonball story.

Also the CG oozaru transformation looked absolutely ridiculous.

Escapist
Paradise Seeker

Old 10-30-2009, 09:21 PM

@Muse: I agree with you. I never really watched the series save for a few episodes, so I didn't know how things were supposed to be etc... So it entertained me quite a bit! My boyfriend on the other hand, who was a huge DBZ fan, critiqued a lot of the movie afterwards. How things were changed, what the background story was (for my benefit), how the characters could have been better.

I found it a very hard movie to take seriously anyways, but I won't lie, I would watch it again!

Talentless_Muse
Ore hero da!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:22 AM

Heh... I'd watch it again too, but only with a group of friends to snark with and a few bottles of good alcohol.

Bunai
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 AM

-Cutie Honey
-Sailor Moon

Terrible effects, acting, costumes... etc

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 11-03-2009, 06:35 PM

I wouldn't count DBZ as a classic :/ It's too recent. When I think classics I think from the 70's or earlier.

Hyacinthine
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-04-2009, 06:06 AM

You mentioned Super Mario in the first post. To have such a beloved video game turn into such a horrible movie was just hilarious. I didn't know anyone could screw up Mario, but apparently, someone can.

LadyKnightSkye
Now the Mule of Kin-Akari

Old 11-07-2009, 02:11 AM

I remember the Super Mario movie. It wasn't until years later that I actually realized what it was.

But then again, in my honest opinion there are anime/cartoon series that should not have live action remakes. DragonBall Evolution was passible and I liked it, but I admit it was pretty much crap. However, DB is one of those series that shouldn't be made into live action unless you have a freakin' ginormous budget.

Erailea
Lost soul

Old 11-07-2009, 03:05 AM

I dunno, I actually like the Mario movie. You have to keep in mind it was made in a time when they couldn't get away with half the crap they can now-a-days. I thought it was pretty creative, cheesy as hell, but creative and fun.

I'd say DBZ is it for me. That movie was just jaw droppingly awful. I haven't seen G.I. Joe but I heard from big fans of it that the movie was terrible >__<

LadyKnightSkye
Now the Mule of Kin-Akari

Old 11-07-2009, 05:02 AM

My main point was that the movie was so different from what I knew that I didn't recognize it.

I enjoyed G.I.Joe, but I'm not a fan so I wouldn't know what they mutilated and what they didn't. I'm also one of the "idiots" (Ebert has yet to be forgiven for that) who loves Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen so there ya go.

Robard
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-07-2009, 05:12 AM

Ahahaha, I had completely forgotten about the Dragonball movie--I've never seen the whole thing, but I caught part of it on TV a while back and got a good laugh out of it once I realized what it was.

Hmm. I think that's the only live-action anime I've seen. While the recent Hitchhiker's Guide movie wasn't a complete disaster, I'll mention it just for Martin's design. So clunky and distracting.