Menewsha Avatar Community

Menewsha Avatar Community (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Curry curry curry~! (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185436)

Elluh 06-30-2011 08:16 PM

Curry curry curry~!

:B!
Curry, I'll be attempting to make my first ever batch
of Japanese curry tomorrow. I know it's Indian as well,
but famous in japan too. I've never tried making
it and I've been wanting to try it for a really
long time. I've never eaten curry before.
I know it goes well with steamed rice.

So I was wondering what's your favorite
type of curry?
Do you like it mild,hot, or very hot? I think there's a
very hot..I'm pretty sure.
Do you have any tips for me?
I'm a pretty good cook, so I think I'll get it down.

Anaxilea 06-30-2011 08:28 PM

Ugh! I'm so sick of curry that I'll be happy if I never eat it again.

Don't get me wrong, I love the (mild) Indian curries, and we make them often at home, as well as going out for Indian food a LOT. I've made my own naan bread from scratch, too. In fact... we make it so often, that I'm tired of the stuff. REALLY tired of it.

The best advice I can give you is to put spicy ingredients in a little at a time. Most Indian recipes (I don't know about the Japanese ones, but I assume the same) assume you're going for a spicy dish - that's what curry is famous for, after all. So instead of looking at a certain spice as the "bare minimum" you might put in a dish, instead remember that it's probably a healthy dose of fire. You can always add more heat - you can't take it away.

Cooking rice is tricky as well. If you don't have a rice cooker, you'll have to do it the old fashioned way. It's important to continuously check the rice. Undercooked, crunchy rice is dry and disgusting. Overcooked rice turns to an unappetizing mush, and then burns. Make sure you're stirring it often. Rice will stick to the bottom of the pot and scorch.

Elluh 06-30-2011 09:14 PM

Awe. I'm sure everyone gets tired of eating the same food over and over.

I'm good with spices, I always test out my limit when I make my own sauces. But I use peppers
instead of grounded spices, mm sort of like adobados peppers. Or I just cook them on top
of the fire? Like grilled in a way, I'm hoping to use more thai peppers in this curry though.

Oh pfft, yeah. I'm lazy so I do have a rice cooker. xD I have 3 of them for different amounts
of steamed rice.

But thanks for the advice :B

Hellraiser 06-30-2011 09:29 PM

I have never eaten curry before.
I've heard it could be spicy though.
I would just have to try it for myself.

Elluh 06-30-2011 09:31 PM

Neither have I!
That's probably why I'm excited.
n . n;
Do you like spice?

Cherry Who? 06-30-2011 10:10 PM

I've seen a lot of tasty looking curry recipes lately, so I picked up a little container of curry powder the last time I was at the grocery store. I haven't used it yet, and I've never even had curry before. I'm a risk-taker? :lol: But I have a really low tolerance for spicy things. So if you find a really good mild recipe without meat, let me know! :)

voenne 07-01-2011 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherry Flavored Antacid (Post 1769570493)
I've seen a lot of tasty looking curry recipes lately, so I picked up a little container of curry powder the last time I was at the grocery store. I haven't used it yet, and I've never even had curry before. I'm a risk-taker? :lol: But I have a really low tolerance for spicy things. So if you find a really good mild recipe without meat, let me know! :)

You should try Thai cuisine. They make their curries with coconut milk, so it tones down the spiciness by making it creamy and dreamy. I'm a huge fan of it. I enjoy the green curry and massaman (peanut) variations.

I'm not a fan of Japanese curry though, but I do love Indian cuisine and curry when it's mild enough to actually taste without my mouth being on fire.

Cherry Who? 07-01-2011 06:01 AM

Ooh, that sounds good! Does the coconut milk lend a particularly coconut-y flavor, though? I'm not much a fan of coconut. Although I wonder if the effect could be mimicked with cow milk...

voenne 07-01-2011 04:31 PM

No, unfortunately it can't be achieved with any other sort of milk- it would be too watery. Coconut milk is made from blending up the coconut water with the meat of the coconut, so it's thicker and creamier in texture. It's not what you would think in terms of how "coconut-y" it actually tastes (everyone expects it to be super sweet and fruity, but it's not). It's just very rich, and with the curry you shouldn't have to worry much about not liking the coconut. :)

Cherry Who? 07-01-2011 06:01 PM

I'll have to try that, then! :)

sarofset 07-01-2011 08:36 PM

I enjoy meat curries. I like them on almost anything... except fruit. lol.

It goes well on chicken, beef, pork, even bacon. I like to put it on pizza. :)

Mystic 07-01-2011 10:20 PM

I love coconut milk with a bit of rice, curry powder, and some red beans. It's awesome. I also make just the red bean curry on its own a lot. It's Kidney beans, curry powder, garam masala, carrots, onions, and red peppers. I've served it over soba noodles too and it's awesome that way as well. I also love chickpea curry. For the chick peas, I'll use onions, garlic, curry powder/paste, carrots, and sometimes cumin.

I also throw random veggies in a wok with some curry power or paste and just make things that way as well.

I have no idea why I forgot to add tofu curry. I make it all of the time. It's filling and tastes great!

Cherry Who? 07-02-2011 07:09 AM

That sounds delicious, Mystic. :drool: Could you post the recipes (in quote tags) when you get the chance? I must try! I always need more recipes.

Mystic 07-02-2011 05:54 PM

This is one I use often for the red bean curry:
Quote:

1 can kidney beans
1 large red sweet pepper
1/2 medium carrot
1 medium onion
A small piece of fresh ginger, peeled
1 garlic clove
1 Tbs. curry powder
1/2 Tbs. garam masala
1 tsp. red chili powder
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
For coconut tofu curry this one is pretty good:
Quote:

2 bunches green onions
1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
1/4 cup soy sauce, divided
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons chile paste
1 pound firm tofu, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
4 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
4 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
4 cups chopped bok choy
salt to taste
I make up the rest of the recipes as I go. I tend to just throw stuff together and hope it tastes good. XD

voenne 07-02-2011 06:37 PM

Thanks for the recipes, Mystic. They sound delicious! Being vegan gets discouraging and boring for me, so I'm always looking for new recommendations and recipes.

Mystic 07-02-2011 08:08 PM

I know what you mean! I also will substitute the chicken in a lot of the recipes and use the meatless version of the meat that's used. If you're looking for vegan recipes, I would try goveg.com. They're pretty good for being vegan and having good recipes.

voenne 07-02-2011 08:34 PM

You definitely have to be creative and enjoy cooking in order to survive as a vegan. It's been 4 or so years for me, and I've gotten so lazy and frustrated with food under everyday stress. Thanks for the site suggestion- I haven't been to that site before. :)

Mystic 07-02-2011 09:16 PM

I've been a vegetarian for about 7 years now. Keep trying to go vegan but I can't give up cheese. That red bean curry is really quick to make and it's yummy. I'm lazy and don't like to cook so I try to make stuff that takes less than 10-15 minutes to make.

Elluh 07-02-2011 09:24 PM

I will definately try those recipes out :B

I was vegi for 5 years and then vegan for 2 but I started getting
really sick around when I was 16. :C

I found really lazy versions of curry in the asian section
of H-E-B..So, I might just make those instead. xD;

Cherry Who? 07-02-2011 09:57 PM

Thanks, Mystic! I should be able to tweak those to my tastes. :D

Oh, since one of those calls for bok choy, now's a good opportunity for me to ask... what does bok choy taste like? :lol: I've never had it and have been considering trying it.

I've been vegetarian since February. It can be hard to find new recipes since a lot of dedicated vegetarian/vegan sites have... crazy recipes. You know, with really expensive specialty ingredients, complicated directions, or just weird combinations like raisins + cauliflower. Personally, I've found that "regular" sites like bettycrocker.com usually have a vegetarian section (not to mention some meat recipes where the meat is easily substituted with something else) where everything is less... insane. More realistic. So I'd recommend that for the vegetarians and vegans looking for new recipes. Don't even bother googling "vegetarian recipes," since all you'll get is the insane stuff. I mean, unless you like insane food. :lol:

Mystic 07-02-2011 10:12 PM

You're welcome!

Bok choy kind of tastes like a lettuce only a bit bitter. It's not bitter like kale but kind of like a light cabbage, I guess you can say. I enjoy it cooked and in a stir fry or curry, in this case.

Seradinea 07-05-2011 08:27 AM

Come to think of it I have never had curry I don't think I have.

Hyrital 07-07-2011 12:38 AM

I adore curry. Indian food in general is a huge love of mine. I've never had Japanese curry before, did it turn out well?

I love hot food, so naturally I like my curries to have a lot of spice in them. However, I'm partial to ordering a Tika Masala from my local Indian take-away, and that is a very mild curry. The sauce is to die for though, so I can forgo burning my tastebuds away. I actually only started trying the milder curries when I was pregnant, overly spicy food really wouldn't have been a good move and wouldn't have agreed with me, so I decided that I'd play it cool and take the spice counter down a few notches. I'm glad I did do that to be honest, because I have managed to try some very lovely curries that are mild enough for even my mum to enjoy them. : )

I normally have my curry with plain boiled rice as it's about the only rice I can stand, and a naan bread. I love flavour, so I often get a garlic naan. My boyfriend suffers after I eat those though, garlic breath is a heinous crime in our household.

D A R L I N G 07-07-2011 02:04 AM

I love Jamaican chicken curry. It's so omnom delicious~
I prefer mine mild as I don't do well with super spicy foods. > w <

I think the Jamaican chicken curry tastes best with a type of bread called roti. 8D You can just roll the roti out, fill it with curry and enjoy a delicious curry burrito~ XD LOL.

voenne 07-07-2011 02:30 AM

Jamaican curry? That's new to me, Darling. What makes it different than other curries?

The mention of curry wrapped in roti makes me hungrryyy.