Menewsha Avatar Community

Menewsha Avatar Community (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hobbies and Crafting (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=311)
-   -   Anybody Know About Sewing Machines? (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211308)

El5ee 08-11-2014 01:21 AM

Anybody Know About Sewing Machines?

Do any of the crafty menes know anything about sewing machines?
I want to get a sewing machine! I was just curious if anyone has thoughts on a particular sewing machine or could give me any tips on where to start on this journey that I'm beginning?
I would love to hear any thoughts! Maybe we can talk about some sewing crafts other people have done?
[poke]

BellyButton 08-11-2014 04:43 PM

I just recently bought this cute little sewing machine from IKEA: SY Sewing Machine

It's proven to be a great starter machine - very durable and has plenty of oomph. It's easy to switch between stitches and stuff. It's really compact in size so I didn't have to get a table for it. The cord to the pedal is nice and long. Best thing is that it was super inexpensive - just about 70 bucks. The other newbie machine I was looking at before someone told me about this one was closer to $120 - I kept putting off getting it because that's a hefty chunk of change & I wasn't sure if I was going to use it enough for it to be worth it. With this one being so affordable it's made me feel free to dabble - if I get really into sewing, I figure I can save up for a fancier machine. ;)

El5ee 08-11-2014 08:32 PM

That is pretty affordable! Have you made any projects with your sewing machine? Anything you like to make yet?

BellyButton 08-11-2014 10:41 PM

So far I've only done some mending that's been needing done forever, hemmed some curtains that I was holding with pins, etc. But it runs great! I'm not really sure what to make yet - I have a couple simple skirt patterns to try, so I'll probably go with those once I buy some fabric. :)

El5ee 08-11-2014 10:52 PM

Right on! That must be quite a little machine if it can handle curtains! I'm definitely gonna check that little guy out! [glomp]

Kay 08-13-2014 02:57 AM

I sew for a hobby, and a basic skirt, or even a pillow/pillow case are really good projects for beginners.

And if your interested in making quilts there are tons of great easy quilt patterns for beginners.

Sewing is a lovely, albeit slightly expensive, hobby. But very enjoyable all the same. I've made mostly quilts so far.

El5ee 08-13-2014 05:44 AM

Yea, lately I've been really interested in getting into sewing! It's like an itch to make something! [squee]
I guess that sounds pretty crazy [oops]

Kay 08-13-2014 06:06 AM

No, it doesn't sound crazy at all. I get what you mean. I want to do some sewing, but I don't have any of my sewing supplies at the moment. I'm just doing some crocheting at the moment. I'm about half way done with the first row of my project.

El5ee 08-13-2014 11:25 PM

What are you crocheting?

Karastorm 08-26-2014 06:17 PM

El5ee havea look at simplicity patterns. There's tons out there from fancy dress right down to every day wear and tear. I made my self a fancy dress pirate outfit using the Sy and it runs great.

El5ee 08-27-2014 06:50 AM

I really should look at some patterns! I actually work at Joann Fabric and Crafts, and there are a TON of patterns there! I would like to start off with something simple though, like a bag, or maybe a pillow haha [oops]