Menewsha Avatar Community

Menewsha Avatar Community (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/index.php)
-   Roleplay Requests (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Group D&D... kind of! (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206774)

Wyrmskyld 12-02-2013 02:28 AM

D&D... kind of!

Okay, so I'm getting super frustrated with my local gaming group. It's not fun at all to make a huge fairly open world with puzzles and adventures and then have to lead the players around by the hand. Therefore, I want to resurrect my idea of running a game for my Menewshan friends!

The trick is, the idea died because of the massive complications involved in transcribing a game system from books to an easily understandable website. To that end, I've cobbled together a set of streamlined rules based on a few different systems. I think it will be a fairly workable and simple system.

You can check out my mostly complete but very rough rough draft below, if you're curious.

Edit: Hey, it's slightly less rough now! Still not complete, but much easier to read, and I'm almost finished, honest! >.> Please don't be intimidated by the number of spoiler tags.

EditEdit in Big Shiny Letters: The OOC thread can be found here, with completed and polished rules!

AlignmentX

I'm not going to make a big deal out of alignment for this game, except that it's going to be a Good campaign. It's okay if you make a neutral character who's in it for booze or booty, but just follow Google's rule and Don't Be Evil.

AttributesX

Strength (STR) is how hard you hit and how much weight you can move/carry.
Agility (AGI) is how likely you are to hit, and how fast you can run.
Intellect (INT) is book-learning, and covers magic, medicine, and math, among other things.
Wisdom (WIS) is common sense and street smarts. Great for doing business and not winding up with a Darwin award.
Charisma (CHA) is how good you are with people. Useful in politics, entertainment, and any social setting.
Constitution (CON) is your health. It covers everything from how fast you die to how well you hold your liquor.

The classic way of generating attributes is with random rolls, but that's not much fun if you have luck like mine. If you want to do it that way, let me know and I'll witness your rolls, but otherwise, here's a handy table of good but not outrageous number spreads! Choose one row and assign your attributes as you please.

14 13 13 13 13 13
14 14 13 13 13 11
14 14 14 12 12 11
14 14 14 14 12 8
15 14 13 12 12 11
15 15 13 12 11 10
16 15 12 11 11 10
16 14 14 12 11 8
16 16 12 10 10 10
16 16 12 11 11 8
17 15 12 11 10 8
17 14 12 11 10 10
18 13 13 10 10 8
18 14 11 10 10 8
18 12 12 10 10 10

ClassesX

Those who've played D&D before will know that technically some races aren't supposed to be certain classes, and there are attribute requirements for most classes. I say that's unnecessary nitpicking! Be a dumb orcish wizard or a weak gnomish paladin if you want! You might not be very useful, but the point is to have fun. I'm also not instituting weapon prohibitions on any class or race. As for multi-classing... we'll talk about that when people get to level 5.
  • Bard: Ahh, the much-maligned bard. Well, no more! I'm making minstrels cool again! All bards get the spell Battle Song, and then they can either cast mage spells one level below theirs, or they can use whatever mundane weapons they have. The catch is that to cast spells the bard must first post some lyrics and then make a successful roll vs. their musical skill, and any spell takes at least 2 turns to cast. I will totally give you bonus points for creative lyrics, whether you make them up yourself or just hunt out really appropriate ones. Bards may prepare (CHA + Level)/4 spells per day.
  • Cleric: The all-important healer, possibly the most important member of the party. All clerics attempt to honor the god they follow, while caring for their fellow man. There are general clerical spells that all clerics may learn and use, and specific ones for each god. It's not impossible to be a cleric of multiple gods, but characters must first reach 5th level. Clerics may prepare (WIS + Level)/2 spells per day.
  • Mage: The classic spellcaster, whether you call them wizards, warlocks, or sorcerers. A mage may prepare (INT + Level)/2 spells per day.
  • Paladin: Somewhere between a cleric and a warrior, paladins fight on behalf of their god. They don't necessarily have to be lawful good, but they must always be good. A paladin can also cast clerical spells and may prepare (WIS + Level)/4 spells per day.
  • Ranger: Archer extraordinaire and lover of wild places, rangers have a special connection to nature. A ranger gains the bonus ability of Beast Speech, and the bonus skills of archery and survival in at least one biome. The most useful attribute for a ranger is AGI
  • Rogue: Master of infiltration and investigation, rogues are far more versatile than just 'thief'. They're also superb fighters, both melee and at range, and often have a sideline in archaeology or something similar. Rogues may choose any bonus ability. The most useful attribute for a rogue is AGI
  • Warrior: Suitable for any type of heavy melee, especially the all-important tank position. Warriors get two bonus skills that must be used for weapon skills. The most useful attribute for a warrior is STR for a standard warrior, or CON for a tank.

RacesX

• Humans: The most basic race for any adventure campaign, because they're us. Playing a human gets you +1 to the attribute of your choice, and 2 bonus skills.
  • Elves: Slender and graceful, whether they're high elves, forest elves, or drow, elves get +1 AGI, +1 WIS and -1 CON. They also get an ability related to their origin-- drow would get night vision, for example.
  • Dwarves: Sturdy and stubborn, dwarves can be anything from grim and mysterious dwellers of the deep to jolly boisterous innkeepers. They have +1 STR, +1 CON, and -1 AGI. A dwarf can always find nearby caves, and their STR counts double when calculating how much weight they can carry.
  • Halflings: Merry but quiet, a halfling will seldom turn down the offer of a good meal. Their small size gives them -1 STR, but they make it up with +1 AGI and +1 CHA. Halflings get cooking and stealth as bonus skills.
  • Gnomes: Mischievous and curious, gnomes are often frustrating to outsiders. Their endless questions gain them +1 INT, though, and any who survive their curiosity to adulthood also have +1 CON. Unfortunately they also get some of the sense knocked out of them, so -1 WIS. Gnomes start off with lockpicking as a bonus skill, and even a non-mage gnome can create a fist-sized ball of light.
  • Demonkin: While they're descended from humans and demons, demonkin qualify as a separate race because they breed true-- a demonkin plus a human creates a half-demonkin, whereas a half-elf plus a human creates a human. Most demonkin have adopted a gypsy sort of lifestyle in the face of irrational fear and hatred because of their heritage, giving them -1 CHA. They have +1 to any other 2 attributes, however, and 2 bonus skills.
  • Furfolk: Or feather/scaled folk, too. This is kind of meant to cover satyrs, catgirls, lizardmen, etc, and I'm going to be pretty open about this one and let you build your own, although I'd appreciate it if you run it by me first. The standard race template is -1 attribute, +2 attributes, and either 2 skills or one ability of your choice.
  • Half-Humans: Same as humans, really, except that the raised attribute should be something related to the other half of their heritage.

AbilitiesX

Abilities are things that cannot be learned, you have to be born with them. Night Vision, being double jointed, ambidexterity, particularly acute hearing, vision, or smell, beast speech, etc. Each character may have 1 ability, in addition to racial and class bonus abilities. I'm giving you fairly free rein to come up with your ability, but I reserve the right to veto anything too ridiculous. We're not talking superpowers here, just things you're naturally good at.

SkillsX

Skills are things that can be learned. Each character begins with 10 skills, plus racial and class bonus skills. An additional 2 skills may be learned each level. Let me know if there are any skills you think I've overlooked.
  • Weapons Skills (AGI): It's important to note that while weapon skills are based on AGI, some have STR requirements that will be listed in the equipment section. Axe/Mace, Bow, Broadsword, Crossbow, Fencing, Knife, Staff, Sling, Spear, Thrown Weapon (Knife, Axe, etc), Two-Handed Axe/Mace, Two-Handed Sword, Unarmed Combat, Whip.
  • Social Skills (CHA): Musical Instrument, Singing, Diplomacy, Fast Talk, Gambling (Can also be based on INT or AGI, depending on the game), Politics, Sex Appeal.
  • Language Skills (INT): Each character begins with 2 free languages, their racial and usually Human Common
  • Outdoor Skills (WIS): Tracking, Wilderness Survival, Navigation, Orienteering, Fishing, Seamanship
  • Thief/Spy Skills (AGI): Climbing, Lockpicking, Pickpocket, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Poisons
  • Medical Skills (INT): First Aid, Diagnosis, Physician, Surgery
  • General Skills (WIS): Blacksmith, Cooking, Carpentry, Leatherworking
  • Scholarly Skills (INT): History, Archaeology, Theology, really just about anything ending in -ology, Tactics, Strategy, Naturalist, Alchemy

General Spell InformationX

Just a note to begin with, this is probably the section where I'm deviating the most from D&D. I wanted a simple way to do things that doesn't involve constantly referencing charts. If this system doesn't work out, I may change things in the future.

Any spellcaster may prepare a limited number of spells per in-game day. It's a good idea to post those in your first post of the day, so it's easy to keep track of what you've cast and what you have left. Level 0 spells do not need to be prepared, and may be cast freely at any time. Clerics and Magi may cast spells at or below their own level. Bards may cast mage spells at one level below their own, and Paladins may cast clerical spells.

Mages and Bards must purchase a spellbook in order to cast spells. Clerics and Paladins must have holy symbols.

Mage and Bard SpellsX

Level 0
  • Battle Song: For every 5 turns the song is maintained, allies within hearing range get bonuses to hit and to damage for 10 turns from the end of the song. Bonus is equal to the bard's level.
  • Create Fire: Creates a small, candle-flame sized flame. Good for lighting campfires or candles or anything flammable. Takes one turn to cast, caster must be able to see the thing being lit. Flame lasts 5 turns unless it lights something, in which case it lasts as long as there's fuel.

Level 1
  • Alarm: Sets off a very loud alarm if any creature larger than a rat enters the subject area. Area can be up to a 20 foot cube. Creatures within the area during casting will not set off the alarm. Takes 10 turns to cast, lasts 4 hours +1/2 hr per level.
  • Armor: Subject gains +1 AC per caster's level. Takes 10 turns to cast, lasts until subject has taken cumulative damage greater than 8 + caster's level.
  • Detect Magic: Caster detects magical radiations in a path 10 feet wide and 60 feet long. Caster can determine the strength of the magic, and has a 10% chance of determining the type of magic. Takes 1 turn to cast, lasts 20 turns per caster's level.
  • Feather Fall: Causes a falling subject to become light as a feather. Takes 1 turn to cast, lasts 10 x Caster Level turns, effective range is 10 x Caster's Level.
  • Grease: Covers a material surface with a slippery layer of grease. Any creature entering the area must make a saving roll or slip, skid, or fall down. Those who successfully save may leave the greased area by the next turn. Those who remain in the area will get a saving throw every turn. Takes 2 turns to cast, lasts 5 turns per level unless dispelled by caster, covers a 10x10 area.
  • Hold Portal: Magically bars a door, gate, etc. Takes 1 turn to cast, lasts 10 turns per caster's level.
  • Light: Creates a glow equal to torchlight within a fixed radius of the spell's center. Takes 1 turn to cast, lasts 1 hour per level.
  • Magic Missile: Creates up to 5 missiles of magical energy that dart forth from the wizard's fingertip to strike their target. The target creature must be seen or otherwise detected, and the caster must be able to identify the target. Inanimate objects cannot be damaged by the spell. Does 1d4+1 damage per missile. 1 missile/level, 1 second to cast, range 60 yards.
  • Mending: Repairs small breaks or tears in objects. Can only repair up to 1 cubic foot of material. 1 turn to cast.
  • Ventriloquism: Caster can make his voice-- or someone else's voice-- seem to come from some place else. Anyone rolling a saving throw with a -2 penalty will be able to detect the ruse. Range 10 yards/level.

Cleric and Paladin SpellsX

Level 0
  • Stabilize: This spell stops bleeding and stabilizes the subject until they can either get proper healing, or until they take more damage. Doesn't actually heal, but it's a good bandaid. Takes one turn to cast, caster must touch subject.

Level 1
  • Bless: Raises the morale of friendly creatures within a sphere of up to 60 yards. They get +1 to saving rolls against fear and +1 to hit. Takes 10 seconds to cast, lasts 1 minute. Can also be cast as Curse.
  • Cure Light Wounds: Takes 1 turn to cast, heals 1d8 points of injury. Can be reversed to Cause Light Wounds.
  • Detect Evil: Caster detects evil (Or good, if reversed) radiations in a path 10 feet wide and 60 feet long. Caster can determine the strength of the evil. Takes 1 turn to cast, lasts 20 turns per caster's level.
  • Detect Poison: Caster can determine if an object has been poisoned or is poisonous. Takes 4 turns to cast, lasts 1 minute. Priest has a 5% chance per level of determining the exact type of poison.
  • Create [Element]: Caster can create a small amount of an element appropriate to the god they follow. Air, Fire, Earth, Water, Light, Darkness, and Random (roll a d6). Can create up to 100 cubic feet of air, light a candle, 100 lbs of clay/soil/stone, 10 gallons of water, light as per a mage's Light spell, or 3 square yards of darkness. Takes 1 turn to cast, Light and Fire last as per the mage spell, Darkness lasts 1 minute per caster's level. Created Air, Earth, and Water are permanent.

Weapons and ArmorX

I put weapons first because they're the most complicated items you're likely to buy, and I've divided them up by weapon skill for convenience's sake.
Axe/Mace
Bow
Broadsword
Crossbow
Fencing
Knife
Staff
Sling
Spear
Two-Handed Axe/Mace,
Two-Handed Sword,
Whip

Armor:

EquipmentX

Basic Equipment:
Animals:
Magic Items: You can't buy them, sometimes commission them, or more likely find them around the world!

Basic Game PlayX

Definitions
Turn: Equal to one second, only really active during combat situations.

Would anyone be interested in joining? I'd like to have at least 3 players before I start a proper thread.

Mythos 12-02-2013 02:34 AM

I'm subscribing to this before I even read all the way through that monster spoiler... xD

Wyrmskyld 12-02-2013 02:40 AM

Yeah, sorry, it's a beast. The proper one will be all pretty and much easier to read. Glad to have you, though!

Edit: And -loving- your new avatar~

Mythos 12-02-2013 05:14 AM

Why thank ya! :D

Ethos: Here is something for you to take part in in... two weeks? ;D

Ethos 12-02-2013 05:18 AM

Totally subscribed just then! What's this? *reads*

EDIT: Yep. I'm SO in on this. That's sort of what Menera was kinda supposed to be like, but you guys don't get to see that I'm actually rolling dice in the background (whahahah internet makes the BIGGEST DM screen evar).

Wyrmskyld 12-02-2013 05:23 AM

So that's 2! I want at least one or two more before starting the proper thread... which will probably take me a day or two of arranging before I'm happy enough to post it. :P

Cora 12-02-2013 12:02 PM

OK so I've never played an official game of D&D before.....but I am willing to learn?

Wyrmskyld 12-02-2013 02:02 PM

That's okay, Cora! This isn't really an official game. I've seriously shaved down the rules... my final 'rulebook' likely isn't going to be more than 10-15 pages long, versus D&D, which requires 2-3 full sized books, depending on which edition you're playing. And some of the rules I've changed or eliminated entirely. And this game wasn't actually written for the D&D system to begin with. It's based on GURPS instead. Fortunately most of the stats and monsters translate easily between systems!

I'll try to make time today to put the rules into a more manageable format, and whip up a character sheet. And finish off a few things I left unfinished last night, like the equipment section and the basic rules of gameplay.

Cora 12-02-2013 02:25 PM

I'll be home later on tonight ^.^

Ethos 12-02-2013 06:21 PM

Hurray! I sort of gave you the nudge because (from what I've seen) you're an excellent RPer, and you may enjoy getting your leet hax gaming on.

Cora 12-02-2013 06:24 PM

That's kind of you to say ^.^

Wyrmskyld 12-02-2013 10:38 PM

My day's been pretty crazy. x.x I might not get it sorted tonight, but I've got nothing planned for tomorrow.

Ethos 12-03-2013 06:34 AM

I only have discrete structures and physics tomorrow. The semester's almost over, but the instructors are clutching on to the bitter end.

Mythos 12-03-2013 06:56 AM

I bet Mister two-shoes is going to want to tackle something crazy for you tomorrow. I mean today.

*cue pushy older sibling face*

Ethos 12-03-2013 07:11 AM

Fine, fine, fine. I'm going to bed.
I do need to get up early tomorrow in order to "go over homework" with someone else in christopher walkinopolis' class. Some of the questions were in such a critically bad state that they needed grammatical intubation. So. Not. Joking.

Mythos 12-03-2013 07:53 AM

...No wonder he teaches this class. Half of it is in Greek!

I can't wait to see more on this game, Wyrm!

Libra 12-03-2013 04:28 PM

So I've never played D&D before, but I actually do have the complete set of books for the 3rd edition that I got from my brother? Anyway, I'm interested in joining in this venture!

(I haven't read the spoiler monster yet, but I am working towards it ^_^;)

Wyrmskyld 12-03-2013 04:37 PM

Awesome, Clarius! It's not exactly like D&D, because there are an awful lot of rules for that and I don't want people who don't have the exact same edition as me to get lost. And as that looks like the 'at least four' players I was hoping for, I'm going to finish the tag ends of rules I haven't filled out yet and then build the OOC thread! Oh, and a character sheet. I definitely need to make one of those. :P

Cora 12-03-2013 05:19 PM

Under fur folk you listed feathers as well.

Is a harpy with the ability of flight unrealistic?

Wyrmskyld 12-03-2013 05:30 PM

I will allow flight, but with limitations. You'll need at least 20 feet for a run-up, and you won't be able to carry much weight while flying. I imagine you'd also be pretty uncomfortable anywhere you couldn't fully spread your wings/see the sky.

Libra 12-03-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyrmskyld (Post 1772300055)
Awesome, Clarius! It's not exactly like D&D, because there are an awful lot of rules for that and I don't want people who don't have the exact same edition as me to get lost. And as that looks like the 'at least four' players I was hoping for, I'm going to finish the tag ends of rules I haven't filled out yet and then build the OOC thread! Oh, and a character sheet. I definitely need to make one of those. :P

I've skimmed through the beginning of the player's guide, but mostly I adored the Monstrous Manual ^_^

Wyrmskyld 12-03-2013 05:35 PM

The monster manual is definitely the most fun for the DM... or GM, or Storyteller, or whatever your system calls the person who plans the game. :P

Cora 12-03-2013 05:43 PM

Alright, that sounds fair.

Its not set in stone yet, was just throwing possibles through my head.

Libra 12-03-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyrmskyld (Post 1772300081)
The monster manual is definitely the most fun for the DM... or GM, or Storyteller, or whatever your system calls the person who plans the game. :P

I don't even know. I mostly liked it for all the monster pictures. I didn't read much else out of them xD

Don't worry, my mind is ready to mold for this style of gameplay!

Wayfarer 12-03-2013 10:06 PM

Still got room? I might be interested myself; seems a good way to get to know even more folks, and I never turn down a good D&D game.