Menewsha Avatar Community

Menewsha Avatar Community (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/index.php)
-   Extended Discussion (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   What is Death? (https://www.menewsha.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119362)

beagirl1227 07-26-2009 01:28 AM

What is Death?

I glanced around the front page of the debate forum before posting this, so I hope it hasnt been overdone elsewhere.... :sweat:

Anyway. down to the basic question. As it states in the title, I want to know your answer to:

What is Death?

Here are some prompts:

~ Are people seperated based on their worldly actions (ie Heaven or Hell)
---- If so, then what would be considered good or bad enough to land you in either place? Is there a limbo?
~ Are people reincarnated? Is this life just one stage in a series of lives that will eventually lead you to some sort of Nirvana?
---- If so, what determines what you are reincarnated as? Is it merely chance? Does it eventually end, or do you exist in an eternity of lives?
~ Are souls merely fictional, or do they play some element in your existence?
---- If they do exist, then what is the soul? If they do not, then what drives the human body to act or feel?

**Please try to argue any of these or other points; I personally have no opinion (at least not one that I will share with you ;) ) and will try to act as a devil's advocate for the purpose of furthering the discussion in this thread. =3**

Have fun, but no animosity please; this is just here for the purpose of insightful discussion. ^^

The Wandering Poet 07-26-2009 01:35 AM

I personally have no idea... as I'm very neutrally stuck between Atheist and Religious, but I have a gf who says that we'll "spend our lives together for eternity in paradise", but, as far as I know everyone could go to hell, everyone could go to heaven, could be born as another animal, or everyone could get split up in whatever which way and be sent different directions.

Hmm... as for the soul... I believe it exists, though I think that it's somewhat more of the 'aura' that you put out, which animals can sense.

beagirl1227 07-26-2009 01:45 AM

Ah I see I see. ^^
Do you think that there are certain actions that could send you in either direction?

The Wandering Poet 07-26-2009 01:54 AM

Hmm... Problem with them both is that they both defy my sense of logic. Atheism is much too scientific for me, as well as religion is too much the complete opposite. It's like choosing "guessing" over "faith"

The other thing about religion, which is what I'd be leaning towards otherwise, is that it seems like there are thousands of religions out there, and you have to "guess" which one is right...
Plus if you "pick the wrong one" and someone else was right, you get to "burn in hell" or something just for guessing wrong...

Personally wish that you could relive your entire life over again (same life/point in time) with the knowledge that you have at the time of death...

Nezzie 07-26-2009 02:11 AM

Personally, I don't believe we die. Thats just a scary thought to me; ceasing to exist.
I think every living creature has a soul (soul defined to be the spark that makes us live), and that when one body died, our soul immediately becomes something else.
Not one second of darkness.
Now, whether we become a little spore or some fabulous pig sperm on our way to fertilize a pig egg, it matters not to me.

Nirvana, Enlightenment, and after lives just seems so boring to me. Especially negative ones. Nobody wants to think that we'll live live here for 80 years then go to an overcrowded hell for the rest of... forever, tortured by the very person who tempted us to do evil.

beagirl1227 07-26-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaze-bear (Post 1764675124)
it seems like there are thousands of religions out there, and you have to "guess" which one is right...
Plus if you "pick the wrong one" and someone else was right, you get to "burn in hell" or something just for guessing wrong...

Well who says that you go to either Heaven, Hell, or who knows what by choosing the correct religion? ;) what if the choice was based entirely on morality? How do you think that we'd be divided between the "good" or the "bad"?

What is good/bad? ^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nezzie (Post 1764675181)

Nirvana, Enlightenment, and after lives just seems so boring to me. Especially negative ones. Nobody wants to think that we'll live live here for 80 years then go to an overcrowded hell for the rest of... forever, tortured by the very person who tempted us to do evil.

So, you dont think that perhaps there would be a way out of heaven, hell, or otherwise? What about in the scenario where you go to some sort of Hell, but there is a way to return to some kind of life? Do you think we would ever be able to return to the same life? If we do continue to be reborn, do you think we would remember?

Like, if we are reborn, what if we were sent to another universe where it were possible to remember your past life. What if this were the first in a series of lives in which you remember all of your soul's multiple histories? Same question posed to Kaze-bear~~ ^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nezzie (Post 1764675181)

Personally, I don't believe we die. Thats just a scary thought to me; ceasing to exist.
I think every living creature has a soul (soul defined to be the spark that makes us live), and that when one body died, our soul immediately becomes something else.
Not one second of darkness.
Now, whether we become a little spore or some fabulous pig sperm on our way to fertilize a pig egg, it matters not to me.

At what point do you think that we become something else? Would it be after fertilization, or at the creation of a sperm or egg cell? If the latter, what would happen if the egg or sperm were never fertilized?

Nezzie 07-26-2009 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beagirl1227 (Post 1764675228)

So, you dont think that perhaps there would be a way out of heaven, hell, or otherwise? What about in the scenario where you go to some sort of Hell, but there is a way to return to some kind of life? Do you think we would ever be able to return to the same life? If we do continue to be reborn, do you think we would remember?

Like, if we are reborn, what if we were sent to another universe where it were possible to remember your past life. What if this were the first in a series of lives in which you remember all of your soul's multiple histories? Same question posed to Kaze-bear~~ ^^

At what point do you think that we become something else? Would it be after fertilization, or at the creation of a sperm or egg cell? If the latter, what would happen if the egg or sperm were never fertilized?

Souls should remember past lives, but the creature it inhabits wouldn't be able too. I dunno.

Oh, my, it seems that I skipped over how my reincarnations work. Right now, you have billions, maybe trillions of souls to form YOU. Cells have souls. Plant cells, bacteria, viruses, they have souls
YOU, personally, YOU, what the cells make UP (THATS YOU ;DDD) has no soul. Its just a whole mash up of cells. Trillions of little living things that make up you.
Its a little complicated and kinda hazy, and I don't like to go into it because people give me weird looks.

And, according to the bible, if you have a way to get out of hell, you aren't going to it. You might just chill in purgatory for a few millennium instead. I don't like the idea of over crowded hell holes, so I can't really discuss it. ; -;

Tijdon 07-26-2009 02:55 AM

It is the separation of life from the body. The inability of the body to function any longer. Dead. Gone. A corpse.

Edit:: To further expand on your poll options.

How can you determine death as the different levels of hell? Are you saying everyone is going to hell? As in there is no reason to believe in a religion any longer due to the fact that there is no god? Or would there have to be a god to have there be a hell? Which wouldn't that make there be a heaven which would make your poll an inaccurate way to portray this debate?

Funny questions you have there. Since Morals vary from place to place. So with one culture finding something acceptable and another culture finding something to be an abomination. I would need a better idea of what standard we are up holding for this debate to take any real grounds other than a religious belief battle. Versus something that is completely out there to begin with since this is more of a religious based debatable topic.

beagirl1227 07-26-2009 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nezzie (Post 1764675310)

Oh, my, it seems that I skipped over how my reincarnations work. Right now, you have billions, maybe trillions of souls to form YOU. Cells have souls. Plant cells, bacteria, viruses, they have souls
YOU, personally, YOU, what the cells make UP (THATS YOU ;DDD) has no soul. Its just a whole mash up of cells. Trillions of little living things that make up you.

Haha its kay, I'm just poking at devil's advocate is all. ^^
Do you think that a bacteria soul can become a human soul? or would it only ever be able to be put into a bacterium form? (etc etc for all souls) Would an inanimate thing that doesnt really "think" (like a tree) be able to have its soul become human? Or would it be like the Hindus believe; that a soul has no "type" and that it can be shoved into anything from a blade of grass to a dinosaur?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nezzie (Post 1764675310)

And, according to the bible, if you have a way to get out of hell, you aren't going to it. You might just chill in purgatory for a few millennium instead. I don't like the idea of over crowded hell holes, so I can't really discuss it. ; -;

So you dont think that you can get out of hell? you'll just stick there forever if you go in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Bauer (Post 1764675338)
It is the separation of life from the body. The inability of the body to function any longer. Dead. Gone. A corpse.

So is there no soul at all?
By the way, your signature reminds me of "Steve, Don't Eat That!" Have you ever read it? XD

Nezzie 07-26-2009 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beagirl1227 (Post 1764675347)
Haha its kay, I'm just poking at devil's advocate is all. ^^
Do you think that a bacteria soul can become a human soul? or would it only ever be able to be put into a bacterium form? (etc etc for all souls) Would an inanimate thing that doesnt really "think" (like a tree) be able to have its soul become human? Or would it be like the Hindus believe; that a soul has no "type" and that it can be shoved into anything from a blade of grass to a dinosaur?

So you dont think that you can get out of hell? you'll just stick there forever if you go in?

Hindu, man. A soul is just like. Life does not discriminate. :3
Basic biology tells us that each cell develops a purpose, but does not tell us how the cell came to become alive enough to do that purple. I think that the soul is the difference between a rock and a human.
Also, yes, thats the idea of hell. Eternal Torment. >>;;
Purgatory is a temporary hell where you just kinda do nothing. For a very long time.

Tijdon 07-26-2009 03:05 AM

The soul is a religious debate. Death however is something that can be viewed by non-religious and religious alike. Yet, all your points are religious points.

No. I have no read that.

Nezzie 07-26-2009 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Bauer (Post 1764675373)
The soul is a religious debate. Death however is something that can be viewed by non-religious and religious alike. Yet, all your points are religious points.

No. I have no read that.

Every view on death is a religious stand point, excluding the "we just die and that is all". Even then, that could been seen as an atheist view. Most all mysteries of the world have mainly religious stand-points. :3

beagirl1227 07-26-2009 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nezzie (Post 1764675364)
tell us how the cell came to become alive enough to do that purple.

Someone is tired. XD
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nezzie (Post 1764675364)

Purgatory is a temporary hell where you just kinda do nothing. For a very long time.

So would Purgatory be like a second version of the life we have on earth? A chance to redo whatever we did wrong that would keep us out of hell?
Quote:

Not only do I agree with Nezzie, but if you disagree with her, I'd like to point out that I was mainly discussing the philosophical opinions of death, not just the cold hard facts. To each person, although we know what death is, it could have a certain different meaning. ^^
Quote:

No. I have no read that.

GASP :O You're missing out~
http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives...ont_eat_it.php

kishura 07-26-2009 03:16 AM

death is hwen you die!! XD

Nezzie 07-26-2009 03:25 AM

Yes, I am gettin' sleepy. xDD
Also, giving you a fascinating religious lesson on what is in the bible is strying away from the topic at hand
In a nut shell, its nothing. Purgatory is where you sit and do nothing for a very long time until you have paid off your sins and what not. Hell is for when you are beyond salvation.

@Kishura: Yes, death is when you die. The discussion is about what death and dying means to YOU. :3

beagirl1227 07-26-2009 03:32 AM

Nezzie: Purgatory sounds like a lot of boring. ._. I don't like the bible.
Kishura: Oh hay! :D I posted on your newbie thread. ^^ Hi!

The Wandering Poet 07-26-2009 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beagirl1227
Well who says that you go to either Heaven, Hell, or who knows what by choosing the correct religion? what if the choice was based entirely on morality? How do you think that we'd be divided between the "good" or the "bad"?

What is good/bad? ^^

Hmm... I think good and bad are very impossible to identify, seeing as how our natural impulses are not governed by right and wrong, and only seeks to be satisfied, which the ego tries to satisfy without exceeding the boundaries of the super ego. (Sorry I took psychology ^^")

Given this... good and bad is different from to perspective of every single person in the world. It's impossible to have any idea what exactly good and bad are without connecting it to a more globally concrete set of "rules", which, even in most religions they are slightly different depending on the culture it is in.

Kah Hilzin-Ec 07-26-2009 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaze-bear (Post 1764675722)
[cut]our natural impulses are not governed by right and wrong, and only seeks to be satisfied, which the ego tries to satisfy without exceeding the boundaries of the super ego. (Sorry I took psychology ^^")[/cut]

I. Understood. That. *eyes pop out of face*

For me death is when the person can't revive anymore. Ya know, the mechanical way of death. I don't think anything else is out there, because then we would have people who have came back to life [to me this is after it is possible, like after 24 hours of when the heart stops beating] claiming they converted to christianism after talking with Jesus. And there are not even people who have come back to life.

Also, the idea of heaven and hell scares me. Both of them are pitholes of doom. The termination of good and bad through extreme environments. If everyone were just black humans on Earth, there wouldn't be races because it's the same everywhere. Tha's why they don't ask how many eyes you have, because everyone is born with a pair. Cyclops die within hours of being born, so they don't reach the time when they're able to answer... anyways, just good and just evil? Eww. And Purgatory, a time where you do nothing in a milennia? That's just ridiculous in my opinion. By that long time everyone would go insane and posibly even forget why they were in that position, making them all go to hell.

Fabby 07-26-2009 12:32 PM

Death is when your body breaks down and can no longer sustain life. I probably worded that badly, but I think you understand what I mean.

I think reincarnation... the idea of heaven and hell... all that, are just people's way of trying to cope with their fear of death. The idea that we just die and go into a box in the ground is evidently terrifying, so we've convinced ourselves that we can live on some way.
The idea of heaven/hell is actually way more terrifying to me than simple death. I am highly uncomfortable with the notion that even though I'm a decent person, I'd be sent straight to hell because I chose to live my life the way I want and not based on blind, abstract rules. I'd like to think that if there IS a heaven and a hell, they are really based on what type of person you were and not what religion you chose to abide by. Religion is really Russian roulette for the soul... it's pretty depressing that good people are getting punished for picking the wrong religion, isn't it?

Hazuki 07-26-2009 02:09 PM

Death is when the wine's run out and so has good company. lol Especially the wine bit. I'd be so sad. T__T

lol in seriousness the laws of nature should govern the laws of our soles if we have them. And they are pretty much big into recycling. Though lack of wine would make life not as bearable as it is now. ;)

beagirl1227 07-26-2009 02:43 PM

OH BOY
So many replies while Ive been gone. ^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaze-bear (Post 1764675722)
Given this... good and bad is different from to perspective of every single person in the world. It's impossible to have any idea what exactly good and bad are without connecting it to a more globally concrete set of "rules", which, even in most religions they are slightly different depending on the culture it is in.

Given this, I have to ask a question. ^^ Do you think that a man who has sat alone in his room, all his life, doing absolutely nothing, is going to end up in a better place than a congressman who, lets say, donates money that he steals from innocent constrituents to the poor? Just trying to further discussion. ^^
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kah Hilzin-Ec (Post 1764676107)
For me death is when the person can't revive anymore. Ya know, the mechanical way of death. I don't think anything else is out there, because then we would have people who have came back to life.

So you dont think that there is a soul that drives the body to function? ^^
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabby (Post 1764676613)
Death is when your body breaks down and can no longer sustain life. I probably worded that badly, but I think you understand what I mean.

I think reincarnation... the idea of heaven and hell... all that, are just people's way of trying to cope with their fear of death. The idea that we just die and go into a box in the ground is evidently terrifying, so we've convinced ourselves that we can live on some way.
The idea of heaven/hell is actually way more terrifying to me than simple death. I am highly uncomfortable with the notion that even though I'm a decent person, I'd be sent straight to hell because I chose to live my life the way I want and not based on blind, abstract rules. I'd like to think that if there IS a heaven and a hell, they are really based on what type of person you were and not what religion you chose to abide by.

Okay. ^^ Same question as above is also posed to you: You dont think that there is a soul that drives the body to function?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazuki (Post 1764676703)
lol in seriousness the laws of nature should govern the laws of our soles if we have them. And they are pretty much big into recycling.

So you think that there is some kind of reincarnation element to the soul debate? ^^ would there be some sort of end to the cycle, or do you think we'd just keep going? ^^

By the way guys, thanks so much for replying to my thread! ^^

Kah Hilzin-Ec 07-26-2009 06:10 PM

Nope, I think it's all just nature's simple but constant mechanic to produce complex designs that helps me live n__n Just like making a card tower. Depending on how you place them you make different designs of card towers, but the first floor will always be really simple, until you reach nine or more floors and you notice you've reached a higher level of complexness. Of course, such complexness is doomed to fail once it's too heavy for the cards below, or some jerk decides it's funny to blow it down and transform such beauty into a mess >.>'' I hope ye get what I mean xD

Fabby 07-26-2009 08:47 PM

I agree with Kah, basically. We are just a result of a lot of complex chain reactions... no soul, no nothing. We just happen to be very developed.
Besides, why do we need a soul when we have biology? :D

beagirl1227 07-26-2009 09:51 PM

Ah, I think I understand. ^^ So, no "life after death", or nirvana or heaven and hell theories to throw out there? ^^

Shtona 07-26-2009 10:26 PM

You're title is misleading, it should be "What comes after death?" as that is what this thread discusses, but that's all beside the point.

What is death? What is death? Interesting question. I've thought about this a lot throughout my life, unnecessarily worrying over something that can not be circumvented or outwitted in any way. Everyone dies. Everything (except for energy) dies. There's no questioning that. But whether or not I find the debate worth the effort (because no matter what we discuss in here, nothing will change. People will go on living and dying every day, every hour, every minute...) I believe death to be just that. An ending to a (hopefully) long and at least somewhat prosperous life. I can only imagine blackness, darkness, emptiness. Nothing else.

Even if the soul was reincarnated could you really call that living again. You are what you know. You think therefore you are. If you don't have any memories from previous lives, how can you consider yourself to still be alive. If there is a soul it merely takes hold of a host, feeds off of it like a parasite, and dumps it when the energy is gone, then moves on to the next host. When the body, brain, and heart die...that's it.

At least that's my opinion...