View Single Post
Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)っ ♥

Penpal

Old 12-29-2012, 03:32 AM

The rain thinned as Raffi led Mikaila and Hroarr through the woods, and by the time they passed Telnarsoth it was a misty, drizzly fog that somehow seemed even wetter than the pouring rain had. Hroarr grunted softly to himself as the trails of smoke from Telnarsoth's chimneys passed out of sight. It was mildly annoying to pass the place they'd spent the night after having traveled in the opposite direction to pick up the trail. It couldn't be helped, though, and they were making excellent time. It seemed the princess had gotten lost in the woods and gone in circles a while, whereas they had skipped to a newer trail and cut down her lead massively.

They'd just passed an odd little snarl of footsteps that ended in the princess walking away with another person-- a woman, most likely-- when a snatch of wind-carried sound caught Hroarr's ear. He frowned and scanned the skies, the frown deepening quickly into a scowl at the sight of ravens circling in the distance. A quick step brought him to Mikaila's side and he put a large hand on her shoulder. "There's a battle ahead. In the direction this new person is leading the princess. We must be cautious."

Not much later, the caution proved as futile as further attempts at tracking. The camp was empty except for the support personnel-- healers, cooks, quartermaster, prostitutes-- who were left behind. The soldiers were gone. The princess's footprints led into the Imperial camp, but the trail had been completely obliterated by the marching footsteps of thousands of soldiers as they marched toward the battlefield. Hroarr swore sulfurously, and headed toward the healers' tents. "We can look to see if she's here, but I doubt it. We'd probably be better off going back to town and asking around."

It didn't take long to glance through the tents and discover no sign of Milwanee. Hroarr would have liked to search the tents more thoroughly, but even a quick glance in each one was drawing suspicion from the Imperials left behind. He nodded civilly as one of the camp followers approached. She obviously wasn't a soldier, not in those clothes anyway, but he had no doubt she knew how to use the sword she was carrying. "I'm looking for a runaway girl. Her family is worried. Elven, about so tall. With dark hair and eyes. She's quite young... and she had a large horse with her."

The bawd relaxed and sheathed her sword. He wasn't here to cause trouble, so she was willing to trust him at least far enough to answer his questions. "I don't know what she looked like, but someone said Healer Sylnae had a new apprentice who showed up with a big horse. I saw that horse and Sylnae's leaving after the soldiers did. Syl was supposed to be going to the front, but the horses were going toward town..."

"That must be her... take this as a token of my thanks." Hroarr clasped the woman's hand briefly, leaving behind a gold chain.

She inspected it and smiled, taking a step closer to the tall human. Somehow, during that one step her blouse slipped off her shoulder to reveal the shoulder and a considerable amount cleavage. "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Not today, lass." Hroarr winked and chuckled. Under other circumstances he might have lingered, but he didn't want to lose the trail. Besides which, Mikaila was waiting. He returned to the slim elven girl. "I suppose it's back to Telnarsoth with us."