Thread: Written Clips
View Single Post
maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple Plan's song "Astronaut"

Old 05-22-2013, 04:07 AM

((Inspired by an essay written by one of my students))

A girl sat curled up in the darkness. She was alone and felt nothing at all. This is how she went through life and she knew no better. It was just the way things were and she didn't care for them to change. Why would she when she had no feelings. Aware that others did, she kept her distance on purpose to avoid the drama that would follow when they felt despair, anger, or regret.

Then one day, the Light approached her and held out a hand. A voice pierced the darkness and asked, "Will you take my hand? I can take you out of here."

She looked up at this gentle person and asked, "I feel no feelings. Are you okay with having someone like me who feels nothing?"

He nodded and begged, "I don't care about that, just please, take my hand."

She sighed and took his hand. Suddenly she was in a bright and light-filled world. Sitting there under a tree, she blinked and looked around. Birds flew over head and flowers bloomed beside. It was a pretty place, but she felt nothing.

The days continued to pass by. She spent her days sewing. Every day the man would come by to see her and ask her to hang out with him. She just shook her head and stared blankly around her.

After a year or so, one day she looked up at the sky. There were birds flying overhead. She randomly wished that she took could fly like those birds. Then with a start of surprise, she realized that she had wanted something. That was a feeling.

Over the next several days, she noticed that she felt many things. A sense of pleasure when he came by and a sense of loneliness when no one else was around. It was strange and she was uncertain how to handle these emotions.

Still she made up her mind. She would be his friend. So the next time he came by and asked her to hang out, she somewhat hesitantly responded, "Sure." His look of pleasure at her acceptance of him made her feel good and pleased too.

They remained friends and eventually she confessed her love to him. Learned he had loved her from the moment he first saw her. Finally they married and lived happily ever after.