View Single Post
Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-27-2013, 08:06 PM

As an artist, I've always admired those who can work their magic on the computer with CG artwork. I've always been very traditional myself, preferring charcoals to any other medium. However, for Christmas my Mother bought me SmithMicro's Manga Studio EX4 and ImagineFX Manga tutorial book, which teaches digital painting techniques. While I've been itching to try them out, she also got me my Nikon Coolpix L810 and I've been experimenting with photography instead, feeling very nervous about trying my hand at CG work. I've dabbled in the past, but never really felt that I was equipped to work with it properly, so switched back to my traditional mediums that I'm very comfortable with.

Since starting my deviantART account, you can find me at ~FruitdropPhotography, I've felt inspired to take a try at my new program and try some tips from the book. However, I cannot for the life of me draw with a mouse, I need a pen in hand. So this is my dilemma: What sort of tablet do I look into purchasing? I know there are many brands, many styles, many sizes, but I'm truly at a loss as to where to begin my search or what would be most beneficial! I know I would prefer a larger area to work with, preferably at least the size of a sheet of paper because I like the ability to work in either small areas, or large areas. I don't like being limited to small areas alone. I would prefer something on the lower end of the price range, because this is new and I don't want to invest a great deal until I know for certain I will be able to keep with it and get the hang of it. Yet at the same time, I want a quality tablet and not something that is going to make me hate CG work and frustrate me to the point where I say forget it.

I look forward to hearing everyone's input, and I hope I will be able to find a tablet soon! I am very eager to try my hand at it and hopefully developing the skills to fully utilize it!