View Single Post
Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 11-22-2013, 06:42 AM

That's very true. And It's not that I think the argument that comedians lose their edge as they get older is particularly true, but there was something about the kind of comedy* the did that drew itself from the vigor of youth. I'm wondering what they will work on translating...

*The kind of comedy they did was very specific I think. People say that they broke women down into two categories in their comedy: the sexpot and the pepperpot. And it's not that it's not true, they did. But the kind of comedy they were doing, especially as a male troop (Carol is a gem, and she doesn't get enough recognition, but that's an aside) just doesn't lend itself to having real women in it. They have to parody, because their comedy is of the absurd variety, and... they have no personal experience what it means to be a woman. If they were just to work a real, smart woman in to be a full fledged comedic character, they would fail. Going back to Carole, I remember reading something about how they had several women they took on for trial when the show was starting out, and it just kept falling apart. The women didn't understand what they were trying to do, and the fellows didn't... know how to do anything else. But Carol was a match, they all just clicked.
This isn't like a great argument in their favour. Their women aren't nuanced or real. And that's a shame. I'm just saying I think I get why they weren't able to do that.