View Single Post
HC-Gal
Badass Freakin' Overlord!
Send a message via MSN to HC-Gal Send a message via Yahoo to HC-Gal

Old 03-18-2014, 10:31 PM

"The definitions for AI and Computer are not compatible with me. Describing myself is difficult in your language." As Demaar spoke in the Captain's language, a small holographic interface had started hovering in front of the one named Xeriahalt. Lines were forming in her own language, giving her translations of the conversation as it progressed, she read it quickly, picking up on the keywords when they were presented. She spoke, but as she did so, Demaar spoke over her, acting as her literal translation device,
"In my culture our vessels are given memories and personality of one of our ancestors, stored within.. Sek'lita'ar Crystals. They are not the same person, that person is long dead, but the experience of their life acts as a guide to us who live. Demaar was a man of learning." She finished her explanation before Demaar chimed in for himself
"It is an honor to hold these memories."

The doctor was fascinated by this already, quickly scribbling down what he was learning on a pad of paper, the very idea of storing the memories of the fallen into some crystalline device and calling on it again to make it the personality matrix for an artificial intelligence. Creating a living, thinking ship with those memories.. He would have thought such a process could be unstable and open to volatility but then again humanity only had violent failures of advanced artificial intelligences to compare it to.

More writing appeared in front of Xeriahalt pertaining to the Captain telling her where she was. She took on a surprised look for a moment but then smiled, almost nervously as she spoke again, with Demaar's assistance,
"Forgive me. I am glad I was able to think clearly sooner, I almost attacked you with my Ni'en."

There was a brief pause as Demaar listened to the Captain again before replying on his own,
"Xeriahalt is her full honorific name, she is under the impression that I am calling her a child when I use her informal name, which in our language sounds very similar to the word for child, or childish person. Zeh'ray-ah. She has refused to explain why she believes I am calling her a child."
The girl was actually blushing as the last word was used, looking almost furious about it being mentioned, to the point that she defensively folded her arms and pouted,
"As a note. Your name, Hadley, is similar in pronunciation to the word for a divine person. Ha'de-li'i." Hearing this, Xeria looked at the screen again, then looked at Hadley, a curious stare in her red eyes. There was a brief pause but then she crawled closer suddenly, practically almost face-to-face with Hadley, staring in particular at her eyes, as if trying to discern something about them,
"Ni o're ruuta." She stated softly before sitting back and pulling her headset back into her lap, "Ruuta es toh cah."
"Xeriahalt claims that she sees power in your eyes." Demaar chimed in, to make sure the Captain was not lost by the strange action.