Thread: House Plants
View Single Post
Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 04-13-2014, 08:39 PM

I have four kinds of house plants right now: spider plants, wandering jews, "lucky bamboo," and a mystery variety of palm.

The spider plants are by far the easiest ones to take care of. I have two right now that have been growing steadily for 3 years now, despite neglect from me. My wandering jew plants are also pretty easy to take care of, but they haven't tolerated neglect as well as the spider plants. XD

I'm still trying to work out the best way to care for my lucky bamboos. I've read a lot of conflicting information about them—some people say they love to live in water, while other's say they don't need as much as people think. I have four stalks right now, one of which recently yellowed and died, and it didn't seem like there was anything I could do to help it.

The plant I'm really struggling with is my palm. Unfortunately, I threw away the label that said what type it was, so now I'm having a hard time identifying it so that I can get the right care instructions. (I'll post a picture of it later, so maybe someone who knows more about palms can help me figure it out.) Right now, it has several dead fronds, and many of the leaves have browning. My sister said that palms love to get plenty of water, so I've been trying to water it more. Today I read that they also don't like standing water, so I may need to repot it, since my pot doesn't drain. >_<

Anyway, I'm off to do some repotting, since my spider plants are fit to burst out of their pots.