Thread: Khan Academy
View Single Post
Whole Milk
journal addict

Old 12-31-2014, 12:39 AM

I suppose I'll start this off.

My goal is to have 90+% in my pre-calculus 12 course that I'm taking through the local night school. Khan Academy is helping me refresh a lot of my learning, practice skills, and feel more confident.

Night school learning is hard. My class is two nights a week, three hours each class. And you either pay attention to the teacher or write down the notes. I swear my teacher should be an auction house person. The units I've done the best on are ones I vaguely remember from pre-calculus 11 - something I took two years prior. I need a lot of refreshing.

In order to gain confidence I have literally started doing math from the beginning. I've gained the status of "mastered" in most of the elementary math and have started working on grade nine math content. I'm working my way up to geometry and logarithms during the break. I still have some middle school/late elementary math to do but I figure I'm a bit short on time so I jumped ahead a bit.

I'm 11% through algebra basics.

After I'm done my course (the final is at the end of January) I think I'll continue with Khan Academy, "mastering" all of the math content and exploring other areas. Especially the programming section they've been pushing lately. I've applied to a programming program at a local tech school so hopefully it'll be a somewhat useful introduction. It can't hurt at least.

One of my favorite things on Khan Academy is the badges. When you're flying through the elementary years it's so gratifying to go yes, I can count to ten, look I even have the badge for it, and have you seen how many skills I've mastered! It's so silly but still so motivational.

I just got the Sally Ride badge (achieve mastery in 150 unique skills). It's surprising how many skills go into doing what I always felt were math basics.

Last edited by Whole Milk; 12-31-2014 at 03:46 AM..