View Single Post
Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 12:48 AM

They walk up to the white washed porch. Em is about to knock when Fish makes out the outline of a large tree. She grabs his wrist. The wind rustles the branches and three sunset colored leaves land on the veranda. Fish looks down sheepishly and Em rings the doorbell.
A minute passes. Fish peers in a window. Em sits with his legs splayed out and puts his head in his hands.
Another minute. Fish leans out over the railing and looks around one side of the house.
Another. Em glances nervously at the tree. The leaves rustle reassuringly. Fish looks around the other side and knocks on the door. A few moments later, they hear a few plucks of a violin and the porch light flicks on. Em jumps to his feet. Fish leaps to the door. She straitens her white, dented top hat. He swipes his hand over his greasy black hair.
There is another short riff on the violin and the door opens. Em greets the smiling woman.
“Good evening, fräulein. I call myself Em.” He takes her hand and kisses it.
“Good evening. My name is Wisteria.” She says. Her voice is warm and velvety. It sounds like a smile. She wears a floral sundress and heels. Her hair is soft reddish brown and set in perfect curls. Fish tries to brush off her own tweed jumper and pulls her hat a little further down over her uncombed straight blond hair. Wisteria looks at her and Fish stands up a little taller. Wisteria releases Em’s hand and reaches for Fish’s, smiling. Fish sighs and shakes her hand thankfully.
“And your name?”
“Em calls me Fish.” Says Fish.
“Pleased to meet you two. Why don’t you step inside?” The woman takes a step back, then notices the bloody footprints across her whitewashed porch. She purses her lips then smiles. “I’ll get some slippers.”
The violin plays a few short strokes and all the lights go out.
The lights come back up and all three are in the house sitting on a matching loveseat and chair set. The room is white like porcelain. Everything is arranged just so. The curtains are neatly pressed and the white carpet shows an impression where each step was taken for the three to get to their seats. Em and Wisteria share the love seat. His feet have large band-aids taped to the soles and a pair of fluffy pink slippers are on the floor nearby. Fish is in a chair gripping the armrests with white knuckles.
Em gives Fish a half smile and Wisteria laughs “, not used to blackouts, are you?” She says “, Where are you from?”
“I came from the brink-abyss of absurdity. That not-sense non-sense of happenings and re-happenings.”
“Oh my. I’m sorry to hear that. And what made you think to come this direction?” Fish shakes her head.
“It follows,” She grimaces and pulls the brim of her hat over her eyes. Wisteria smiles.
“Don’t worry about a thing.” She gets up and gives her a pat on the shoulder “, you’re safe here. I’m going to get you two some tea and while you two warm up I’ll set up the guest bedroom.” She leaves the room.