View Single Post
Fullmetal Phantom
Dead Account Holder
Send a message via MSN to Fullmetal Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to Fullmetal Phantom

Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 AM

Lets see...foreign language music can EASILY be like that. You can kinda like it...and you can sorta get it with a translation. But when you actually UNDERSTAND it, and aren't relying on someone else's translation to work it out...it often has a much deeper meaning that you can appreciate even more than ever.

Take my FAVORITE song, Rain...actually, it's been my favorite song since I first heard it. But with every step I take that lets me understand it better...I love it even more.

If you don't know a word of Japanese (which is where I was just BARELY past when I first heard it), the song somehow manages to just drag you in with this powerful, eerily relaxing melody. At that point...it's pretty good.

When you read a translation such as the one above..."whoa." That's pretty much what I said when I read that.

As I got better with understanding the language...lets just say it's been a LONG time since I looked at it the same way as I did when I first heard it. Before, I heard a sad, yet relaxing song...now, I hear this amazingly powerful, sad piece that is, at the same time, eerily relaxing and absolutely chilling. I can't listen to it - SERIOUSLY listen to it - without crying.

And the next time I see the lyrics as they were originally written, kanji and all? I get a feeling I'm somehow going to be able to appreciate it even more. Which, at this point, almost seems impossible.