View Single Post
sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 01-16-2014, 08:57 PM

She saw how light in his eyes diminished at her first words - he wasn't expecting much. And she had to berate herself for that slight rush of power she felt, knowing that she could decide one's fate. Such power was also a responsibility and had to be used at utmost caution, not enjoyed. As Mae finished her 'verdict', she waited for his reaction which apparently was a good deal of disbelief and surprise. Then again, perhaps it really did not make much sense in a larger view, but the woman had not based the decision solely on kindness and sympathy (but they did play a role). She would observe Saith cautiously at least for the first day and see if he attempted to take up any contacts with thief - not that she really still believed he took part in organized robbery, but better safe than sorry.

Elf picked up the drawing, slightly furrowing brow in thought as she tried to recall person on the wall. He seemed to have put a lot of effort and thought in this, far more than she had expected. "Yes, this seems quite accurate. I can work with this. Thank you," she finally concluded and glanced at Saith. He was grinning now, already sapid taste of freedom loosening up the man, as expected. But she understood him very well on emotional level. The little 'nickname' annoyed her slightly, but she was too tired to dispute about it, especially since she wouldn't have to tolerate it for longer time. "I will take you to guard's room where you can reclaim your possessions. You are free to refuse the prize, it shan't be forced on you, however if you chose to accept, be assured it would not cut deeply into temple's funds."

His questions turned towards her journey and Lacrimae's expression fell slightly - there was very little about it that she looked forward to. "I am going after the thief, with my best guard. Rest of searching party will be gathered where we find tracks of her..." her voice trailed off in a soft chuckle, understanding that he was joking about cleaning out the temple, but then woman turned serious again at his statement. Was Saith serious or still joking? Looked serious. She said nothing about it and motioned him to follow her to guard room, mulling over his words. His tracking skills were superior to all that she knew, and even if he HAD worked with thief, that union must have been shattered to million pieces somehow. So, there was a chance she could trust him. But Mae didn't understand his motives - did he still dream of becoming a knight as a reward, if he'd help catch the criminal? And that is exactly what she bluntly asked him as they walked down shadowy corridors (by tradition, only lights kept in temple were in personal rooms, ceremonial pyre and torches at entrance. Rest of temple rested along with Sun and respected Moon's claim over the world): "What do you want in exchange for your services as tracker, if I did take you along? Just the pleasure of getting revenge and soothing ego? Respect? To prove others wrong? I cannot offer you Knighthood, unless you chose to become my personal guard and knight."

Last edited by sadrain; 01-16-2014 at 09:06 PM..