Thread: Amuse Me...
View Single Post
Naisou
Can't rain all the time

Old 07-25-2010, 06:47 AM

I have written you a story!
Username: Naisou
Submission: Didn't your mother tell you...

SPOILERX

“ARGG!!!!” cried a voice, “Hand over yer treasures or feel the sting of me blade!” Raising a sword, the figure stalked closer to her cowering prey. “I am the feared pirate Sitha! Surrender or DIE!!!”

Swinging her blade, she hit the man, once, twice, and yet again, before running past in search of another unwary soul. “I’ll gut all ye scallywags unless I get …oomph!” she exclaimed, landing on her rump as her billowy skirts poofed up around her. Pushing them down far enough to see a man calmly placing his booted foot back down on the deck, the now pouting young girl called out, “Hey! You tripped me!”

“Aye,” The sailor said, raising an eyebrow at the girl sprawled on the ship deck, “and you beat up me mast.” Taking the mop handle, he continued, “We need that intact to keep moving, and I don’ want to be shipwrecked in these waters.” He glanced at the many broken, sinking carcasses of ships long forgotten, “ ‘Specially not with you going round spouting off about one of the feared pirates in these here waters.” Poking her lightly with the toe of his boot, “ Asn’t your mutter told ye it’s mighty bad luck to speak a pirates name while out on open water?”

“Necia!!” A woman scolded, stopping in front of the girl, “What have you gotten into now? Look at your dress, covered in dirt, yet again!” Looking toward the sailor she asked, “Was she playing pirate again?”

“Aye Miss. Adilena, another mop down.”

“Necia, you know such things are childish and not befitting of a young woman.” Adilena said sternly, “Come along then, let us get you ready for bed.”

“But mama,” Necia protested, whilst following her mother, “Gama always tells tales about the pirate Sitha to me, and even lets me act them out. And, I’m only nine…”

“I know your grandmother is always telling you stories about Sitha, and I should have ended it long ago.” Sighing, she said wistfully, “I just did not have the heart to tell her to stop, she loves her stories so. I felt it would break her heart, and the good lord knows if it happened again…well… Get ready for bed, and I shall bring you dinner, Miss. ‘I’m only nine.’ ” She teased.

Necia crept back onto the deck in only her night dress, stealthily making her way to the side of the ship. It was long after the men aboard had gone to bed, and the boat was eerily quiet. Looking out over the dark water, fog creeping and curling around forlorn pieces of ships, Necia sighed, “If only I was a pirate. Then life would be interesting.”

“Aye, interesting.” A voice wafted from behind Necia.

Gasping, Necia spun, and she couldn’t believe her eyes. Before her stood a woman with wild auburn hair braided with shining jewels and beads.

“I…um…”

Chuckling the woman asked, “Were you not the one who spoke my name upon these waters?”

Necia’s eyes widened, “Sitha?” she breathed out shakily.

“Aye,” Necia quaked, “Be not afraid. I won’t hurt ye. Take this.” Sitha said, holding out her hand.

Shakily, Necia took the offering, “Licorice?” she questioned.

“Ta calm the nerves.” Necia nodded, nibbling slightly, “Hmm, Didn’t yer mother ever tell you ‘Don’t take candy from strangers?’” Necia’s eyes widened as she attempted to thrust the candy back to Sitha. “ ‘st okay little one, I’m not really a stranger.” Backing away, she whispered, “Being a pirate is to lead an empty life.”

Bouncing out of bed the next morning, Necia ran to her mother yelling, “Mum, you’ll never guess what happened last night! I saw Sitha! The most feared pirate alive!! She gave me candy, and this ring was on it!! Although it’s too big…”

Adilena’s face paled with each word her daughter spoke.

“She had auburn hair, like mine, and weird violet eyes!!”

All the crew had grown fearful at Necia’s words and were scouting the waters, looking for the tell-tale signs of a pirate raid.

Adilena shook, and then, in a burst of energy rushed to the railing, screaming out, “How DARE you! How DARE you give that ring to her!! Come near her!” Slumping down she cried out softly, “What made you come back…now?”

“It’s alright mama,” Necia said in a small voice, “She didn’t hurt me.”

“No, she wouldn’t do that.” She said wistfully.

“Take her Adilena. My ship is no place to raise a child,” looking over her shoulder towards the burning hull of a ship she sighed, laughing bitterly, “ ‘Tis no place for anyone now.”

“Then stay! It was hard enough saying goodbye the first time. Please…Sitha” Adilena begged, eyes watering, “You cannot make me do this again…”

“No,” shaking her wild tresses, “I have no home here any longer. I know you’ll take good care of her. You always were the better woman.” Kissing the baby’s shock of hair one last time, she handed the bundle over to the younger, shell shocked woman, who numbly took it.

“I cannot, …” she started, “I have no husband, …I”

“Neither do I, but we both know who the better mother will be, Adilena.” Tears welled in fierce purple eyes, “Please Addie, for me? I won’t ask anything else of you.” She began backing away, “Mother always did love you most. You were the daughter she always wanted.” Tears welled anew, “Take care of yourselves.”

As she turned away, Adilena whispered, “Mother always was proudest of you. You were everything she wasn’t supposed to want in a daughter, but did. I’ll look after your daughter, my sister.”

Slipping out of her memory, Adilena looked out and saw a ship with a wild auburn haired woman at the helm. Sitha raised her hand to her heart, and inclined her head. Adilena smiled slightly, “Come Necia, shall we find you a chain for your ring?”

Final notes: Word says the count is fine, and everywhere else says it isn't. :( If you want I can try and chop out more words...

Last edited by Naisou; 07-25-2010 at 05:30 PM..