View Single Post
Sho-Shonojo
(っ◕‿◕)っ ♥

Old 10-06-2008, 02:20 AM

20. Fortitude

"Where is she?" Astin asked with a growl as he stormed across the distance between him and Rowan.

"She's been moved to a lower room until I have her disposed of," Rowan said without so-much as a glance in Astin's direction. When Astin didn't leave, Rowan looked at him and asked, "Just what were you thinking, bringing a human here?"

"I was thinking of our welfare! That woman is the daughter of the king, the Star of Lupnia's Eye. Am I the only one who sees what she could do for us?" Astin asked, disbelief and frustration were writ in the strain in his voice.

"Oh, and did she tell you that?" Rowan replied mockingly, "I hate to have to remind you pup, but the humans are not so honest as you want them to be. At the simplest she is some lost girl who needed a place to stay in the night, but at the worst she is a spy. How can you be so naive after what the humans did to our leader, your father?" Even though Rowan stood in his human shape, Astin could picture the hackles of his red coat rising. Ridges formed on his nose in a snarl as he shifted between shapes.

Astin growled back, low and menacing in his throat. He felt the hood of his fur cloak cling to his skin, threatening his on change in shape, "How dare you speak to me that way! My mother leads you and one day it will be I who takes her place!"

Rowan did change then. Gleaming white jaws appeared as a fully formed red coated wolf sprung from his spot and charged for Astin. Astin lunged back as his form changed like liquid into that of a white wolf. The pair scuffled, with teeth tearing at throats and feet kicking at unprotected bellies until both stood apart, panting hard as they stared each other down.

"Remember one thing Astinvere," Rowan said, his words indiscernible from the feral snarls, "You might vary well be a tribe leader one day, but if this decision is a hint at whats to come in the future, then it'll never last. I will see to it."