View Single Post
zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 01-22-2023, 04:35 PM

Alex sighed and wiped her forearm across her brown, smudging bits of hay and dust through the sweat that gathered there. Mucking out the stables was one hundred percent her least favorite chore on the ranch and usually it was Eric’s job but she had lost a bet at the pub last night and well, here she was, pitchfork in hand, scooping shitty hay out of their old horse Nelson’s stall. Nelson gave her a look that said “get on with it already” and Alex rolled her eyes. ”Fine, you impatient beast…” Wielding the pitchfork, she had another mound of ick lifted halfway to the wheelbarrow when her phone dinged loudly, echoing off the rafters. ”Oh for the love of…” she grumbled, hastily depositing her load and setting down her instrument.

Rubbing her dirty hands down the sides of her jeans, Alex fished her phone out of her back pocket and swiped up on the cracked screen. Her heart gave an involuntary jolt when she saw “Cor” pop up on her screen. Just a few simple words said it all. Despite the years between them, Alex knew her friend. This simple plea for help was not to be taken lightly. Despite the message sinking to her gut, she tapped out a lighthearted reply.

Alex:
What's up?

Alex watched the three little dots blipping up and down for what felt like forever and then swore when she read the reply. "I'm going to kill that f-ing bastard..." She said hotly. Nelson swished his tail at her tone but she ignored him and stepped out of the stall. Tossing the pitchfork on top of the poo-filled wheelbarrow, she shouted to Eric, "You're going to have to finish up here, I've got somewhere I've got to be."

Before Eric even had time to reply, Alex was out of the barn and stomping up the steps of the porch. Kicking off her dirty boots, she took the stairs two at a time up to her bedroom. Fishing in the closet she pulled out a duffle bag and started tossing random items of clothing into the bag before heading to the bathroom where she swiped the contents on the counter into the opening. She was in the kitchen downstairs shoving bottles of water and various snack items into a plastic bag when Eric walked in.

"What the hell Alex?" he asked, taking in the scene before him.

"Sorry, I'll clear out the stalls next week."

Eric shrugged his shoulders. "Yeah, okay, whatever." he said, eyeing the duffle, "But where are you going? When can I expect you back?" he asked, big brother instincts kicking in.

Alex sighed, "I just got a message from Cor. There's a situation and I told her I'd meet her. I'm not sure when I'll be back. Could be a couple days." She could tell from her brother's expression that he was just as surprised as her and wanted to know more but had the sense not to pry. "I'll text you when I know more," she added, hoisting the duffle onto her shoulder. She grabbed her purse from the kitchen table and shoved her feet into a pair of Doc Martens before heading for the door.

Tossing her duffle into the back seat of her old Jeep and the bag of snacks into the passenger seat, Alex jumped into the driver's side. As she was turning they key in the ignition, Eric appeared at her window.

"Here, you forgot your jacket," he said, handing a beat-up jean jacket through the window. "Don't drive like a maniac and let me know when you're there, okay?" he asked, brows furrowed.

Alex nodded, "Thanks Eric," she said before stepping on the gas.

• • •

Two hours later, Alex was munching on some salted peanuts and guzzling a Gatorade when her phone dinged again. Eyeing the screen she saw it was from Cor and pulled off at the next rest stop. Checking the GPS estimate and new address, Alex typed out a quick reply.

Alex: Be there in 30.

She made a quick dash to the restroom and when she closed the door of the jeep behind her, she sniffed a few times and wrinkled her nose. Maybe she should have at least changed her clothes before hopping running out the door. Oh well...

Thirty seven minutes later, she pulled into a parking spot behind the pub and sighed. She sent Eric a message that simply said "here" before grabbing her fringed leather purse and slamming the door of her jeep behind her. Inside Stark's Pub it was dark and there was a game playing loudly on the TV behind the bar. This definitely wasn't Cor's usual venue but Alex felt at home. It only took her a second to locate her friend. Her white dress and bright hair stuck out like a thumb in this crowd.

Something in Alex's chest tightened. It had been far too long, she could realize that now looking at her friend. Making her way straight to where Cor was seated, Alex beamed, "Hey girl!" she said brightly, despite the circumstances, and jumped into the seat across from her. Normally she would have wrapped her arms around the other woman but after realizing the state of her own clothes in the car earlier and eyeing the pure white dress Cora was wearing, she decided against it.