View Single Post
PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 01-24-2023, 10:27 PM

It wasn't the reassuring, gentle strokes upon her arms or the patient, peaceful silence of Alex that finally calmed the quivering Cora. No, it was how quickly Alex acted upon recognizing the name on the screen. Before she could realize it fully, like magic the song was silenced and the cell vanished. A plan was laid before them, Cora taking in the words slowly as if hearing them through water. Every syllable was spoken like fact, as if there was no question regarding the decision for the evening. Yet it wasn't demanded of her; despite the firm tone Cora sensed the suggestion behind it - confirmed when Alex left the final say to the one seated across, to the one who could reject the plan entirely. It was not often those words, 'up to you', were offered to Cora. "Wouldn't that be nice, honey? Don't you want to come with me? Why don't we go to that party tonight, you'll have fun! All the wives are coming to the firm for Easter, you can see your friends tomorrow, it'll be fine."

Most of her body tension eased away rather quickly; Cora's hands still shook slightly but she gave a soft, thankful squeeze of Alex's hands anyway before releasing herself from the hold. For the first time in weeks, Cora exhaled with a breathy light laugh. "Yes, you're right. You smell about as good as I look," she teased, before delicately using the back of her index knuckle to wipe away the tears that had escaped, but since stopped falling. A quick glance into the full beer bottle revealed she hadn't mussed her makeup too terribly; she could have as easily been tearing up because of laughter versus sadness. She knew Alex's Jeep was just outside anyway. She'd have liked to run into the restroom to tidy up perfectly before leaving, but there was no need for that. She wasn't a pretty little trophy wife right now. She wasn't Corinne Talbert; she was Cor, she was with Alex, and she was safe from prejudice and judgement. As she rose, Cora shook her head just slightly. "I gave them my card when I came in; we should be fine to go." Just to be certain, though, she looked over to the counter where the bartender was wiping a glass 'clean' with what looked like a dingy grey rag. He noticed the women standing - perking a brow at how very differently they were dressed, but said nothing. Instead, he gave a wave with one hand while returning the glass to its proper place with the other.

After slinging her purse over her shoulder, Cora followed Alex to the door with tongue against her teeth, thinking for a moment until they reached the outside. "He'll likely keep calling; I wouldn't answer either but..." she paused outside the passenger door of Alex's vehicle, giving her a nervous frown, "...if he calls my mother, well, you know..."

Cora didn't think Adrian would do that. By doing so, he'd have to admit they'd been fighting, what about, and what he did. While that'd be hard enough to do, it'd also mean her mother would be the one to retrieve Cora, and that Mother would insist Cora stay at her parents' home in the mean time so gossip couldn't spread too far. For some reason, this made Cora laugh once again, almost bitterly. "Let's hope for his sake he doesn't." she jested while opening the passenger door. Only because there was no doubt Alex would put a foot down to both Cora's husband, and her mother.

"Head to the Marriot in Plainview Terrace; it's just a few miles away, I'll show you." Cora buckled her seatbelt just in time to caste a mischievous grin toward Alex. "They've got a terrific minibar. Whiskey for you. A nice bed would be better than those stables you spend all your time in, huh?"

Damn, it felt good to have her best friend nearby again.