View Single Post
Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-30-2014, 07:33 AM

30 January 2014

These past few days...starting from last Saturday (25 January 2014) have been very interesting.

High School Reunion

I ended up going to the High School Reunion on the Saturday, partially because it was in a very public and casual setting where there would've been hustle bustle of people regardless and partially because I would've gone there, the central business district of the city, later on anyway...for a group dinner with friends.

So, the reunion, was interesting, despite few people actually gathering for it. Initially because of the crowd I couldn't see any familiar faces...I think I did see a couple of classmates but couldn't confirm it was them before they left the place...so if it was them they probably were there for the festivities rather than the reunion...

I bought a drink and stood in the shade of a tree, listening to the live music and looking around the crowd, who were, for the most part, relaxed and chilled in their comfortable spots...sitting or standing. I took my time drinking the drink, being a can of carbonated drink...I would've taken my time drinking it anyway. Interestingly enough, I chose this moment to confirm my attendance to the reunion on facebook despite not seeing anyone...and after waiting a while longer, I had decided that maybe it wasn't happening or people just weren't going to rock up, so I was just about to leave when I suddenly heard my name being called from behind...turned around, and the one who called my name was a fair few metres away, so I wasn't sure until I took note of the group of others she was with and also the flailing wave of her arm made it evident that she was calling me and that that small group were the former classmates who were there for the reunion.

Among the group, I could recognise and name most by first look at face alone...one by face but only remembered the first letter of the name, the two who I didn't recognise initially and even after hearing their names didn't recall were two of the students I hardly had anything to do with in school days and their appearance changed dramatically (particulary hair style and colour)... We chatted, mainly about what people are doing these days, study, career/work, relationships and parenthood...that type of thing...there was a bit of talk and asking around about the other classmates who weren't there...and sort of 'who knows what happened to _____and who's kept in contact with ______, did you know that this happened to _____'

Thing is that none of the friends from high school that I've maintained contact with were present, so they did direct the questions about my friends to me...I did not elaborate on any details, didn't feel it was my place to do so. And just when I thought it wasn't going to be brought up, the topic of a classmate who had died in an accident just two years after we graduated was mentioned too.

I knew about the incident that year only because the circumstances were so tragic that it made news in the local paper, with a photo of her next to the article...apparently for those who were close to her in high school, the funeral was a sad reunion of sorts too...

I ended up adding one of them as a facebook friend, because I remember talking to her in high school in classes and extra curricular activities we had in common but never saw her again until the Saturday...and despite the many years past her, and a successful career, her mannerisms were amusingly very much the same in a social setting as they were when she was in school.

Friend's Birthday Dinner
Same Saturday as the High School Reunion, and physical location only a 10 minute walk distance away from the reunion site...I caught up with a few good friends to celebrate the birthday of one of them. Surprisingly there were interesting discussions had about society and bigger picture social issues, among the typical catch up talk.

Australia Day, Public Holiday
This year's Australia Day was on the Sunday, and because Australia Day is a National Public Holiday the actual public holiday was actually on the following Monday. Temperature wise, it was a very hot and sunny day. I ended up going to a friends' place, just to hang out and to teach one of them how to make a decorative craft piece that she had said she wanted to learn after seeing one I had made earlier. Somehow we ended up sharing things about our childhood and adolescence that we didn't know about each other before, and surprisingly we had things in common even though we didn't know each other as children or teenagers.

~~~

Somehow, those three events I've mentioned and the conversations that were had have made me reflect on events past...kind of like the 'whole life flash before the eyes' type thing...only instead of feelings of regret or disappointment I feel a sense of acceptance and appreciation that in a way being able to cope with and get over terrible things that had occurred in the past, have shaped who I am and have been valuable life lessons if not anything else.