View Single Post
fishyfey
*^_^*

Old 04-27-2011, 11:37 PM

9. Secret

The raven man was crossing the dance floor and heading directly for them. He was coming from the direction behind Joe, so the blond man didn’t see him.

Please let him come this way. Please. Eve thought. She tried to put those words into her eyes. He seemed to get it.

A moment later the raven man tapped on Joe’s shoulder, just as they were reaching the back door. Joe stiffened and turned.

“Pardon me.” The raven man said in a calm musical voice. “Would you mind if I stole this lovely lady away from you for a dance?”

I never felt so relieved in my life, and dashed out of Joe’s arms. He let me go, but gave an evil look.

The raven man caught me easily, looking a little surprised by how forcefully I landed against him. He absorbed the impact as if it was nothing and instinctively put his hands on my upper arms. I felt safe.

“Remember what we talked about little Miss Eve Ingram. Our little secret.” His eyes flicked to the raven man for the briefest moment, before he turned and headed brusquely towards the door.

I turned toward the crowded party. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion. People were smiling, laughing, and dancing. My parents were talking with a small crowd of important A-listers. The parents who had cared for me and given me everything I ever wanted. Perhaps not been there enough, but still loved me. I had friends in this crowd. Eric had been my friend ever since middle school when no one wanted to talk to me unless it was to get closer to my money. He was dancing with a short, round woman who smiled and giggled. They looked so happy.

What if Joe exploded the bombs as soon as he walked out that door? We would all be killed, and Joe would be happily safe on his way. My parents and friends would be dead. I would be responsible for killing so many people who knew nothing of the danger we were all in. I couldn’t let that happen.

“Wait Joe!” I pulled away from the raven man with reluctance. It was one of the hardest things I had ever done. His arms stayed outstretched as if waiting for me to return. Joe was already pulling open the back door. I dashed after him and he smiled. He knew he had won.

“I’m sorry.” I said to the raven man in a choked sob over my shoulder. The tears were already spilling behind my mask, making it sticky and moist on my skin. I hoped the raven man would leave. He could be safe.