View Single Post
Bartuc
Sky Pirate

Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 AM

How to make an Image Map (iMap)

Updated: Friday, 8 May 2009.

Welcome! This is your basic run down with colors and pictures on how to make an image map! I am going to keep this first post fairly brief.

If you have any questions or concerns after following the guide. You are all more than welcome to PM me about it and I will assist you the best I can.

What is an Image Map?

Also called a Sigmap, this is an image that allows a user to link to multiple locations depending upon what part of the image is clicked. Image maps save space and makes linking people to various areas of a thread, forum, site, or around the internet seem much more intuitive and appealing to the eye.

Necessary Parts of an Image Map

Aside from the image itself (virtually any type will do) you also need an imap.map file. This file must be hosted elsewhere, so I'd recommend using a free online web-host. The imap.map file serves as a directory for your image, as it contains the coordinates that determine the shape of your links and the URLs to whatever location you plan to link to.

Just follow along!

Through this brief tutorial you will be able to follow along as I create the code for the sample picture provided. After seeing how it's done, you can follow these instructions and learn how to build your own iMap to use in your threads, signature, and just about anywhere your heart desires!

Last edited by zigbigadorlube; 11-26-2014 at 03:20 AM..