View Single Post
Li Mei
Accentuate
NPC

Old 01-25-2009, 09:48 AM

Whalecows? Lunar New Year? Red Packet?! What's that, you say? Just hold tight and all will be revealed. ;)

What exactly is the Lunar New Year?

It's the first day of the year if you're following the lunisolar calendar. You may be more familiar with the term "Chinese New Year" but other cultures use this type of calendar too. Some even have their own variation of the 12 zodiac signs! Did you know that the Lunar New Year is actually celebrated on many islands within "The Chain"? (That's the name of the huge island chain Menewsha's a part of, by the way.)

I was raised on the Mainland, but my parents taught me about the Chain Zodiac in addition to what we celebrated in my home town. There are plenty of traditions associated with this holiday, but one common thing I found for most Lunar New Year celebrations is handing out Red Packets.

What are Red Packets?

They are red envelopes with cool prizes inside. This year, mine look like this:

Red Packets usually contain money and are said to bring good luck and ward off evil spirits. I can't think of a better way to start a new year, can you? <3 That's why I decided to give out my own type of Red Packets this year.

I wanted to make this extra special, so each Red Packet will contain a different prize. Don't freak out! Everyone whose account was created before January 26, 2009 can get one, but what you get depends on chance. Scroll down to find out how to get your own.

Year of the Whalecow?

While other places are celebrating the Year of the Ox, the Chain Zodiac has its own creatures represent each year of the cycle. This time it happens to be the Year of the Whalecow. To see what your Chain Zodiac animal is, read below! You might even be a Basilisk like me. ;)

Last edited by Li Mei; 01-26-2009 at 06:48 AM..