View Single Post
Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-12-2014, 03:19 AM

Day One StoryX

Summer is gone. The leaves turn and the weather cools. As October nears its end, it’s capped off by a very special night. The grinning visages of jack o’lanterns peer out from every doorstep, as witches and werewolves, pirates and princesses, take to the streets. Tonight is Halloween.

Yours is the ideal world of a happy, high school senior, living in the autumn of 1984. On this, the spookiest of nights, you’ve been invited to the house of your friend Lawrence for a Halloween party. Also in attendance are your friends Andy and his girlfriend Paula, Lyndon and his girlfriend Bonnie, as well as many of your other school chums.

Lawrence, the great host that he is, has put out quite the spread, and you all laugh and eat, while listening to some tunes on the record player. It’s been the perfect evening. So far.

Bonnie: [Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood plays on the stereo] Oh my god, I love this song! It’s just so sexy.
Lyndon: Yeah, the lead singer must get tons of chicks!
Lawrence: [entering the room] Alright, I got some more chips, guys. Lyndon, try not to get any crumbs on my dad’s chair. He’ll flip.
Lyndon: Don’t worry, I got a napkin. [pulling Bonnie down from the armrest and lying her across his lap]
Bonnie: [playfully] Hey, you better not get any crumbs on me, creep. – When’re your parents coming back, Lawrence?
Lawrence: On Sunday, so I’m determined to keep the house clean, you guys.
Paula: They know you having a party?
Lawrence: Yeah, they said it was fine. My parents trust me.
Paula: My brother John ruined all that for me. Last year he had a party when my folks were out and someone tossed the barbecue through the kitchen window. Now they don’t let us do anything.
Andy: [scoffs] You think you got it rough? Whenever I’m home, my old lady watches me like a hawk.
Paula: [smiling] And that’s without knowing half the stuff you’re up to.
Andy: Shhh. [he leans over on the couch to give her a quick kiss]
Lawrence: [seeing both couples] Man, look at me, dateless at my own party. The world is so depressing.
Andy: I thought you were going to ask out Beth Taylor.
Lawrence: Yeah right. Beth Taylor doesn’t even know I’m alive.
Lyndon: C’mon Lawrence, you won’t know if you don’t try. Seize the horns, brother! You’re young. Get some while the gettin’s good.
Lawrence: Keep it in your pants, Lyndon.
Andy: You want me to talk to Beth for you?
Lawrence: [dejected] Nah, don’t waste your breath.
Andy: [coy] Well, maybe I already did. [seeing Lawrence’s shocked reaction] I told ‘er you liked her and said you’d give her a call tomorrow.
Lawrence: I… You… I can’t believe you did that, Andy! She must think I’m the biggest freak in the world!
Andy: [rolling his eyes] No she doesn’t.
Paula: Lawrence, chill out. Any girl would be lucky to go out with you.
Lawrence: Then how come you turned me down when I asked you out in middle school?
Paula: [shrugs] I’ve never really believed in luck.

Just then, the party is brought to a screeching halt as the lights suddenly go out. A wave of confusion sweeps the room. Lawrence, trying to calm everyone down, makes his way over to the window.

Lawrence: I wonder if it’s a blackout. [looking through the blinds] No, the lights are still on at the Doyer’s house. Crap, we must have blown a fuse.
Bonnie: Great, now we’re stuck in the dark. What’re we gonna do?
Lyndon: [devilishly] I think I know what we can do.
Bonnie: [giddy] Oh, I think I like that idea.
Paula: You guys are so gross.
Lyndon: Andy, isn’t it past your girlfriend’s bedtime?
Paula: Hey, I’m not that much younger than any of you!
Andy: C’mon guys, be cool. What do we do, Lawrence?
Lawrence: I’m trying to remember where my dad put the extra fuses. [he moves over to a cabinet, where he produces some candles and begins to light them] Listen, everyone take a candle, split up and search the house. Those fuses gotta be somewhere.
Lyndon: Awesome, maybe me and Bonnie should check one of the bedrooms.
Lawrence: [in monotone] You two stay down here.
Andy: A scavenger hunt in the dark. Sounds spoooooky.
Lawrence: [chuckling] Yeah. Happy Halloween everyone.

Day One ResultsX

Attic
Now how did you get stuck checking up here? The attic is creaky and spooky and generally just not very fun to search. There's no sign of fuses, but tucked away in the corner you find a big box of old Halloween costumes. Digging through it, you decide to take one and scare your friends. Though really, who would be scared of someone in a mask?
(Pumpkin Mask)

Basement
The basement, logically, would surely be a place you'd find fuses in, but your search comes up empty. Moving back behind the stairs, you spot a pair of jeans sitting atop the washing machine. On a whim you reach inside the front pockets and find some money! Say, maybe this is going to be a good night after all.
(+200g )

Dining Room
Scouring the china hutch and rummaging through the credenza, you're convinced the dining room is one hundred percent fuse free. You turn to leave when something catches your eye in the candlelight. It's a little bit of cash, right next to one of the potted plants. Now it's not right to steal, but you're reminded of the old legal defense of 'finders keepers, losers weepers.'
(+300g )

Garage
You don't know why everyone is searching the rest of the house. The fuses have to in the garage. And eureka, right there on the tool bench you find some. But on closer inspection you see they're all burned out. Darn. Then you hear a commotion from upstairs. Could be your friends just fooling around, but something about it doesn't sound right. You pick up a nearby hammer and go off to investigate.
(Team Gasket Hammer Set)

Kitchen
Searching sure does make you hungry. And conceivably, those fuses could be in the fridge. You're halfway through your ham sandwich when the phone rings. "Stroud Residence," you announce, picking up the receiver, but there's no one on the other end. "Whatever, jerk." You're about hang up, when a strange melody begins to play. It's a soothing tune, and somehow oddly familiar, like something you heard a long time ago. But then the line goes dead. What was that about?
(+1 point)

Office
The Stroud office is pretty extravagant, with its solid oak bookcases and leather-backed chairs. There's even one of those fancy Apple II computers, complete with two floppy disk drives and a monitor that displays a dazzling shade of green. On the desk you find a note and some money Lawrence's dad has left him for pizza. You'll have to remember to give it to him.
(+400g )

Master Bedroom
Though your current objective is to look all over for fuses, that doesn't make you feel any less pervy rifling through the personal effects of Lawrence's mom and dad, especially after what you saw in Mr. Stroud's sock drawer. Mrs. Stroud, you notice, has some lovely pieces in her jewelry case. Next to it is a small box marked 'Donations'. Is she giving these things away? In that case, she won't miss this perfectly good pair of earrings.
(Earrings from Heaven)

Rec Room
Rec room? More like 'wreck room'! Ha! Get it?! Cause you got wrecked. ... No seriously, you're dead.
(R.I.P.)

[Are you now one of the dearly departed? Check the Q&A, here, to see what this means.]

Where is everybody?X

Attic - Pumpkin Mask - ALL SENT
Arc Angel - x
Chexala - x
DivineHeart - x
Maria-Minamino - x
PapillonCameo - x
sushi_mew - x

Basement - 200g - ALL SENT
Angel Spirit Girl - x
blueblackrose - x
Cora - x
EirianHikari - x
HIM_ROCK - x
liquidrage - x
Mikio - x
Miscreant74 - x
Mnemosyne - x
sjacklene - x
star2000shadow - x
SuperZombiePotatoe - x

Dining Room - 300g - ALL SENT
Elirona - x
Kay - x
~LONGCAT~ - x

Garage - Hammer Set --- ALL SENT
Dystopia - x
Hadsvich - x
Jeannesha - x
Liztress - x
Maha-Aamir - x
Nephila - x
Nema - x
Nike13 - x
Roxxxy - x
Ruby Red - x
Velvet - x
Wrenji-chan - x

Kitchen
dragoness129 - x
GummybearKisses - x
GwenaHikari - x
HamletSpamlet - x
KatMagenta - x
Kent - x
Q U E E N - x
shinigamikarasu - x
The_Crow - x

Office - 400g - ALL SENT
CK - x
Emilio - x
Iroase Deslchatten - x
Midian - x
Roachi - x
Seito - x
Vox - x
wish - x
Xogizmoox - x

Master Bedroom - Earrings from Heaven -- ALL SENT
Antagonist - x
Cardinal Biggles - x
Damia Flagg - x
girlbot9 - x

Rec Room
DariaMorgendorfer - x
fireprincess - x
hummy - x
Kamikaze Kendra - x
musasgal - x
Shadami - x
zigbigdorlube - x

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 11-09-2014 at 02:42 AM..