View Single Post
Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-25-2016, 04:28 AM

Day Three StoryX

Divacita: [sarcastically] Surprise surprise, the mysterious Mr. Wolds isn't here.
Nephila: I don't think he's here, period. That Sadler lady is shady as heck.
wish: [sighs] Great. So just another place to waste our time in.
Roxxxy: Looks like it. Wish i'd been smart like star2000shadow and the others, and gotten off this stupid mountain.
Divacita: You didn't actually buy that line, did you? I'm telling you, something happened to them.
Vox: Please, you sound like Belly. You think the old lady chopped them up and put 'em in her chestnut soup?
Nephila: Don't joke, it happens. My great aunt ran a boarding house, and she was convicted for grinding up some of her tenants and serving them to her other tenants.
Vox: Oh c'mon, that can't be true.
Nephila: It is! My grandpa told me! He said she was a grade-A wacko... but made a pretty good meatloaf.
wish: What a tender family moment.
Roxxxy: Well, we're not making any progress here. Let's split. [throwing open the classroom door, her jaw drops] Guys... we have a problem.

Belly: I love the guy, I really do. But I said to Benjamin, you can’t just expect me to drop everything at a moment’s notice. I have a life outside of this relationship. You’re a grown man, stop acting like a child.
Arthur: Yeah. Y’know, Sandy’s usually good about giving me my space. But sometimes she expects me to be a lot deeper than I really am. When I come home from work I ain’t got anything philosophical on my mind. I’m just tired.
Howdy: Ugh, I know what you guys mean. It’s like I tell my cat, “No Franklin, you can’t have the shrimp and salmon deluxe everyday. That stuff is $2.99 a can! I’m not made of money. The tuna delight is just as good.”

Exiting Anthony Levine Elementary, the delivery team finds Ms. Sadler standing at the bottom of the steps, the same suspicious smile plastered on her face.

Arthur: Well Ms. Sadler, we checked the entire school but didn’t find Mr. Wolds.
Ms. Sadler: [giggles] Well of course you didn’t. He left.
Arthur & Belly: What?!
Ms. Sadler: Yes, just a few minutes ago.
Belly: He left?! [holding her temper] Did you try to stop him? Did you say we had a package for him?
Ms. Sadler: [oddly chipper] Oh yes, I certainly did. But he was in a terrible hurry, I’m afraid. Quite urgent. Said he needed to get home as quickly as possible.
Arthur: [rubbing his forehead] This night… [to Ms. Sadler] Could you tell us where Mr. Wolds lives?
Ms. Sadler: Are you sure it wouldn’t be easier to leave the parcel with me? I could give it to him in the morning.
Arthur: As I said, it’s against company policy. But if you could point us in the direction of his residence…
Ms. Sadler: About that… You see, Mr. Wolds is currently renovating his home. So while the construction is being done, he’s been staying at the Devil’s Horn Inn. If you continue following the road up the mountain, you can’t miss it.
Arthur: [with a degree of exhaustion] And you’re sure that’s where we’ll find him?
Ms. Sadler: As sure as rain.

As the others were talking, Howdy stood at the back counting to himself, but now he stops and says…

Howdy: Um guys… I think we’re missing s’more people.
Belly: What?!
Howdy: I don’t see Nephila or wish or Vox. Divacita and Roxxy too!
Arthur: [with some alarm] Are they still inside?
Ms. Sadler: [at ease] No need to fret. They’re safe and sound.
Arthur: What do you mean?
Ms. Sadler: Mr. Gutierrez and I ran into them outside my classroom. They said something about wanting to check up on your friends back in the city. Kevin was driving the bus out there tonight, so he offered them a lift. I assumed they had told you they were leaving.
Arthur: No, they didn’t!
Ms. Sadler: [almost condescending] Well, that was very naughty of them. But, it is a night for tricks or treats. --- Now if you’ll excuse me, I must lock up the school and be on my way. Those pumpkins won’t grade themselves.
Howdy: It would be scary if they did.
Ms. Sadler: Oh you!

Ms. Sadler locked the front entrance and hastily made her exit, almost as if wanting to be away from the group. Arthur and his team stood there for a moment or two in front of the school, dumbfounded. What should have been an uneventful delivery had turned into something much more.

Belly: [to Arthur] You still think we’re getting worked up over nothing?
Arthur: [initially at a loss for words, he says] I’m gonna call the office, see if Mrs. Honeysett has heard from any of them. [he pulls out his phone, but then curses] Damnit, I’m not getting a signal! Belly, how ‘bout you?
Belly: [taking out her phone. she frowns.] Me neither. Howdy?
Howdy: My phone’s not real. It’s full of gum.
Arthur: Crap, there’s no reception up here! [frustrated, Arthur begins to pace. He’s quiet for a moment, then says…] This is what we’re gonna do… We’ll get back in the van, find the inn, and see if Wolds is there. If not, we’ll drive back to the city. This is getting out of hand.
Belly: [almost chastising] What about what you said at the old lady's house?
Arthur: I know what I said! But remember our other motto: The Moonlight Delivery Service: We never give up, unless shit gets weird.
Howdy: [whispering to Belly] When did we get all these mottos?
Belly: [shrugs]

Piling back into the van, nothing is said as they soldier up the mountain. As he drives, Arthur ponders the events of the night so far. Maybe this is all a big misunderstanding. Maybe the missing team members really had gone back to the city. It’s true he doesn’t know any of the trainees too well, but it still didn’t seem normal. Then you have the people of Devil’s Peak. They had only met three, but there was definitely something off about each of them. It left Arthur with an unease that his mind didn’t wish to explore. All he wanted was for this Halloween night to be over.

Just as Ms. Sadler had said, following the road led them to the old Devil’s Horn Inn. Like their two previous destinations, the lodging is run down and unfriendly. Doesn’t anyone in this town take care of their buildings? Stopping the van, Arthur turned to his crew.

Arthur: Let’s all make a promise right now. No one leaves with out telling the others. Understood?

Everyone agrees. --- The inside of the Devil’s Horn Inn brings back echoes of Mrs. Etherington’s house. The lighting is considerably better, but the dingy red walls and threadbare carpet almost make the ability to see clearly a downside. Behind the check in desk stands a neatly groomed gentleman with a very prominent mustache.

Concierge: Welcome! Can I help you on this cool and relatively dry night?
Arthur: [wearily] I really hope so. [taking a breath] We’re from the Moonlight Delivery Service. We’re looking for Mr. Aegis Echo Wolds. We were told that he resides here.
Concierge: [happily] Well look no further, you’ve found him! [patting his chest]
Arthur: [surprised] You’re Aegis Echo Wolds?
Concierge: In the flesh!
Belly: [flatly] The kindergarten teacher?
Concierge: [thrown off, but quickly regains] Uh… y-y-yes, that’s me. The kindergarten teacher. Helping to guide the youth of America. Ha ha. … I um, help out here part time.
Arthur: [with a sigh of relief] Well it’s finally good to meet you, Mr. Wolds. We've been trying to get this package to you all night. Now if you could just show me a driver’s license or ID, I’ll have you sign on…
Concierge: [abruptly] ID?
Arthur: Or any other proof of identification.
Concierge: [stuttering] Well I… That is I… Uh… Could you show me again the name on that package? [Arthur does so] Oh. Oh! Aegis Echo Wolds?! Forgive me, I misunderstood. [chuckling] I thought you were saying my name. They’re both very similar.
Belly: What’s you name?
Concierge: Daniel Balliwick.
Howdy: Ohhh, it’s uncanny.
Arthur: [reaching his breaking point] Now, come on! You don’t expect us to believe that?! I don’t know what is up with you people, but everyone in this town has been giving us the runaround. We know something is up, and believe me, we want no part of it. So please, tell me straight out: Is Aegis Echo Wolds here or not?!
Mr. Balliwick: [taken aback by the outburst] Yes, I do believe I saw him come in about ten minutes ago.
Arthur: [regaining himself] Good. Can you please tell us his room number?
Mr. Balliwick: I seem… to have misplaced the registry.
Arthur: [frowning] Of course you did.
Mr. Balliwick: But there aren’t very many rooms. I’m sure if you had a look around, you’d find him.
Arthur: I kinda thought you’d say that. [turning to his team] Okay gang, let’s spread out and knock on some doors. If we find him: Great, we can leave. If not, screw it. We’re ditching this town.
Belly: Both sound good to me.

With new motivation, the delivery team splinters off to investigate the inn. Mr. Balliwick waits in the front. Making sure the coast is clear, he reaches for the phone and dials.

Mr. Balliwick: It’s Daniel. They’re here. --- No, the plan isn’t working. They still have the box and they’re threatening to leave. --- Yes. I agree. Time to step things up.

Day Three ResultsX

Honeymoon Suite
If the Devil's Horn Inn wasn't so run down, the honeymoon suite would be almost romantic to some people. Not to you though. You've lived the life, baby. One failed relationship after another has taught you that love is an elusive beast, an untamed creature you're tired of hunting. But hey, cheer up. You have your cats. That's fulfilling, right? ... Right?
(Honeymooners Retreat)

Room 101
Room 101 appears to be one of the inn's economy rooms, which is a nice way saying that it's small as heck. Not even enough room to think. So unless Mr. Wolds is invisible, he is definitely not here. You have a quick lie down to test the mattress... for scientific purposes. The bed is pretty hard, and there's something crinkly under the pillow. Investigating, you discover it to be cash. Wow! The Tooth Fairy's really paying out these days!
(+600g )

Room 103
Hmm, compared to the rest of the place, Room 103 isn't too bad. Comfy, even. If you weren't so busy looking for this Wolds guy, you'd want to curl up on the window seat and take a nap. Oh well.
(Comfy Corner)

Room 104
Well clearly Mr. Wolds isn't in Room 104. No one can say you didn't try. But since you're here, there's no harm in looking around. The room is pretty clean, you suppose. Nothing much to it. Opening the night stands, you're surprised not to find a bible inside. In the wardrobe, you make a unique discovery: A rather suave looking dressing gown. The cut on the robe is pretty high. You wonder if all the rooms have this saucy little number.
(Dressing Gown - Red)

Room 201
The old adage of 'if these wall could talk' is so fitting about now. Room 201 isn't much to look at, with it's garish yellow carpet and clashing purple bed. But hanging from the bathroom doorknob is something that gets your gears turning. It's what appears to be a golden fetish collar and chain. Oh my! You didn't think this was that kinda place!
(Golden Slave Collar)

Room 202
The seventies are alive and well at the Devi's Horn Inn, judging by the decor. At least the TV looks pretty new. You plop down on the small sofa and switch it on. And wouldn't you know it, static! Not even basic cable. You turn the television off, and put you hands at your side. They slip down into the couch cushions where you make a pleasant discovery. Money! :D
(+500g )

Room 203
Remember that old roach trap commercial? "Roaches check in, but they don't check out." That's sounding mighty familiar right now.
(MISSING - See F.A.Q.)

Room 204
The Devil's Horn Inn may not be in the best shape, but at least it attempts a level of cheerfulness. Not Room 204, though. The place looks like it was decorated by an angsty teenager. Black on black on more black. It's so morbid, a coffin would seem to fit better than an actual bed. You're about to leave when something catches your eye. There's something scratched into the wall behind the TV. It reads: XI I MMXVI. And beneath it are three unusual symbols. What could that be about?
(+1 Raffle Ticket)

Where is everybody?X

-- Honeymoon Suite
Angel Spirit Girl - xxx
Divacita - xxx
DivineHeart - xxx
Eastriel - xxx
GummyBearKisses - xxx
Kamikaze Kendra - xxx
Naisou - xxx
Razak - xxx
Roachi - xxx
Rochiel Silverfire - xxx
salvete - xxx
Shadami - xxx
star2000shadow - xxx
Yamka Jaden - xxx

-- Room 101
Dystopia - xxx
*Hime* - xxx
Kay - xxx
mdom - xxx
Nema - xxx
zigbigadorlube - xxx

-- Room 103
~LONGCAT~ - xxx
M i n u x e - xxx
Precarious Fool - xxx
SuperZombiePotatoe - xxx

-- Room 104
Damia Flagg - xxx
evil_samara - xxx
Hunter Ash - xxx
Mageling - xxx

-- Room 201
dragoness129 - xxx
Elirona - xxx
Mimmu - xxx
Vox - xxx
Xogizmoox - xxx

-- Room 202
Kent - xxx
sadrain - xxx
shinigamikarasu - xxx
Xo~GREMLIN~oX - xxx

-- Room 203
Arinia Dreamdancer - xxx
Miscreant74 - xxx
musasgal - xxx
Velvet - xxx

-- Room 204
Hadsvich - xxx
HIM_ROCK - xxx
Inspiration - xxx
Midian - xxx
Nephila - xxx
wish - xxx
woohoohelloppl - xxx
xoxoAngiexoxo - xxx

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 11-01-2016 at 04:23 AM..