View Single Post
SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 12-10-2013, 10:45 AM

"... was a bit last minute, but they seemed desperate. I've done most of my work, I've got time." Ella was on the phone with her father in Wales. He called her every two weeks, usually on week days, just to see how she and her mum were doing. Ella's parent's had divorced when she was five years old, but it was amicable and they were on friendly terms with each other. The only reason she and her mum had moved back to America for better job opportunities, or so her mum had said. Ella knew it was because her mum just hated the weather. They lived in a small apartment in Manhattan, just a few blocks away from Ella's school, which was good because that way she could ride her bike to and from school. Her mum left before Ella to get to her job at Sephora, but when she got off early she'd always pick her up.

Ella held the phone between her cheek and her shoulder as she laced up her sneakers and put on her earrings, the Batman logo to match her sweater. " Mum's left for school already. I'll call her when the parents get back and she'll pick me up there." Ella had taken up baby sitting about a year ago. Her mum went to school at night, so that left her home alone. Although the solitude was nice, Ella felt that she needed to get out now and again. Going out with friends was an option, but she only had one good friend, Kelly, who lived on the other side of town. So she went to an alternative: babysitting. It was getting out, in a sense, and she did meet new people. Well, mostly it was short conversations with parents and long get-togethers with the kids, but atleast they were people. And, best of all, Ella could make some money on the side which was more than helpful.

She looked her self over in the mirror and was happy with what she saw. After picking up her bag, her textbook and her novel, Ella headed out of her room. " The name is Duplantis," she continued," I know, fancy right? They live on the upper East Side... I'm taking the bus there," she picked up her keys and a candy bar," Of course I'll be careful, I'm always careful don't worry... I know it's your job to worry." Her dad always worried for her, as all parents do. But, because he was so far away, it made it a little easy for him to worry too much. Ella was responsible, otherwise her mum wouldn't let her out on her own.

" Alright, dad, I've got to run or I'll be late... I love you too, shall I give mum a kiss for you? Heh, just joking, I'll tell her you said hi... Okay, bye!" She put the phone in it's place, locked up and headed for the bus station. While on her way there, she put on her earphones and listened the song that was constantly stuck in her head.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ella arrived at the Duplantis' apartment at 4:00pm. She adjusted her hat on her head and knocked on their door, which was opened by Mrs. Duplantis. " Hi," said Ella cheerfully," I'm Ella Kendrick... well it's Elain, but everyone calls me Ella. Yeah, I'm the babysitter."

Mrs. Duplantis, who was dressed in a stunning fur coat that made Ella gawk, greeted her in a typical southern accent. Some times people questioned Ella where she was from because her accent skipped between that of American and Welsh. Sometimes she explained the situation and sometimes she had fun with like by saying she was Australian and that was how all Australians talked.

" It's nice to meet you too. Don't worry, it wasn't any hassle for me. I'm sure Aristide and I will be good friends. Have a nice evening!" She waved good bye to the Duplantis', closed up and placed her hands on her hips. Aristide, that's an interesting name, hopefully he won't be too fussy. Well, let's go meet the kid.

She walked up the stairs casually, still humming her song, and opened the door which lead to Aristide's room. Mr. Duplantis had pointed it out to her. " Hello," she called as she opened the door," Anyone h-" And Ella stopped dead. In front of her stood a boy with tousled blonde hair, wearing a red sweater, grey jeans, nail polish and had his ears pierced... He looked Ella's age!

" Heh, um," said Ella awkwardly, with her head cocked to the side," You... wouldn't happen to be Aristide would you?" Ella didn't know what she would do if he said yes. Giggle, probably.