View Single Post
YumeBott
Dreamer

Old 01-13-2019, 08:28 AM

The heart of the city was a collection of critical facilities. Outside of the center a pedestrian walkway, Central Way, encircled the core buildings. Along the outer circle of the walkway were auxiliary buildings or small branching paths that provided more space for newer buildings. The Highrose quarters were one such complex that sat at the end of a road that branched out from Central Way at 3 o'clock, east. Highrose guardians saw the sun first, and they were expected to rise earliest. The flight deck, the one critical facility outside of Central Way, sat at 12 o'clock and faced north. It was easier to fly straight north at most times of most seasons, so most guardians dove north as well.

Silas took the long way home. On Central Way he followed the outside of the training academy, court house, the recruitment center, the assignment center, the original libraries, the central infirmary. He passed along the inside of the flight deck, the sky lake, the park, the theater, the newer libraries, the catch-all medical facility for other health-related needs.

Although he saw no sign of Arael on his walk, he kept track of time with his wrist watch. That was about all he could do with ease on the silly device―aside from a walkie-talkie call. He had seen engineers program it to relay assignment scheduling as well as track basic landing protocols, but Silas was more comfortable without it.

On his way past the central infirmary he heard Anders from slightly behind. Silas turned to look. He couldn't make out the context but Anders was on his way out of the building, calling back to a nurse about an alternate something for a patient's concern. "I'll let them know when I get there." When Anders saw Silas he slowed and brought his volume down to a speaking level. "This is an unusual route for you."

"I was hoping to find Arael." Silas stepped toward Anders. "If you're here, though, then we can head over―"

"I need to take care of something that's running late. I was on my way over to tell you in person since it's on the way to the assignment center." Anders paused. "It shouldn't take more than thirty minutes. I'm sorry it's running late."

"That's okay." Silas was too tired to feel anything else. Annoyance or whatever the bubble-burst might have done on another occasion. "See you at four thirty?"

Anders nodded with a short "Mhm." He offered a quick good-bye wave and marched past Silas with hardly any delay. Silas checked his watch again. Five to four. It occurred to him that if he were in Melia's shoes then he would have been nervous about his youngest mortals in the care of another guardian. So, he resolved to check on the two Antiquas siblings later in the evening to let them know that things went smoothly in their district today. Silas gazed along the walk way as he neared the three o'clock mark on Central Way. Then, he saw a familiar light-haired guardian ahead of him.

"Hey Arael!"