Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 04-09-2013, 05:03 AM

EntriesX

twotickets:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotickets View Post

[/COLOR][FONT="Arial Narrow"]This is Day Five
[SIZE="4"]This creature is a(n): Ovis Psittaciformes, colloquially "Gaudy Gryphon"

This is its story: The gaudy gryphon is not a natural species. Created through cross-species breeding done by monks in the Duval Desert, this creature has few self-preservation skills and is useless as the pack animal, wool provider, and circus performer the monks intended.

The gaudy gryphon's spindly legs prevent the creature from walking more than a hundred yards without collapsing into a heap and loudly complaining. Its wool grows short and flaky, with a crest of long, thick hair around its neck and down its back; this has sometimes been referred to as the "model's boa" or "fo-hawk" because it serves no visible purpose. Worst of all, excessive inbreeding and the disproportionately small brain for its size have made the animal rather stupid and unable to remember more than a few days' events or comprehend simple commands.

Despite its uselessness, the gaudy gryphon is a very proud creature and walks with a recognizable strut rivaled only by that of the giraffe. The gaudy gryphon also quite clearly believes itself to be the most beautiful animal on the planet and spends many hours grooming itself or regarding its reflection in even the smallest of puddles and dullest of reflective surfaces. When no reflective surface is available, the gaudy gryphon is also easily contented with standing or lying in apparent poses, such as the one captured here.

The gaudy gryphon mates often, but its hybrid nature makes it incapable of producing viable offspring; for this reason, the gaudy gryphon's numbers have dwindled to less than ten in all of Duval. The gaudy gryphon's numbers also frequently suffer because of the animal's strange aversion to food. Scientists have been unable to correctly diagnose the source of this problem and have instead developed a battery of shots that can be administered once a day to ensure this unique creature's survival.

Perhaps the gaudy gryphon's best quality apart from its confidence is its loyalty; the creature is incredibly affectionate to anything it deems beautiful. Many speculate that scientists continue to engineer gaudy gryphons to this day simply because gryphons seem to find most scientists very beautiful, indeed.

Antagonist:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post

This is Day Five
This creature is a(n): Pufferdash
This is its story: The Pufferdash are a rare breed of domestic, wingless, grass-grazing birds kept by some ranch owners in Duval. Their wings have evolved into hooves over time, and their speed is unparalleled amongst land-birds. They are slightly smaller in size compared to the average horse, but they are sturdy mounts and can reach speeds of up to 58mph. When riding a Pufferdash, one must be careful not to pull out any of their feathers, especially the ones around their neck, as the action will greatly anger them, which, given their sharp beaks, can be a real health hazard to the rider.

Pufferdashes have a long memory, and will hold grudges until the day they die. There have been recorded instances where an offender from over two decades ago, despite changes in their appearance with age, would still be chased and pecked at relentlessly. While generally an herbivore, they will also eat the occasional rodent (such as Burrowcoons) when they are low on protein. Their beaks make excellent tools for ripping apart the tough skins of the rodents.

Pufferdashes are almost notoriously narcissistic, often spending hours preening their feathers to impeccable silkiness. They have little loyalty; based on how well their owners brush their feathers and care for them, unprofessional caretakers would often find their Pufferdashes running off to other ranches where their owners are better with taking care of their needs. Males have longer and more colorful feathers around their neck, which they use to attract and woo potential mates with. These flightless birds will dance in a complicated rhythm while puffing up and rustling their feathers like a peacock, while making deep, almost purr-like chirps.

Wild Pufferdashes are almost completely unseen and unheard of in modern times, and though there have been reports of wild Pufferdash flocks appearing in deep, secluded mountains, but no confirmation has been made in regards to the validity of these sightings. Domestic Pufferdashes are mostly bred to be quick mounts, and often participate in beauty shows where both owner and bird can bask in praise from others.

Jeannesha:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannesha View Post
This is Day Five
This creature is a(n): My Little Chickony
This is its story:
This is the unfortunate black sheep of the family...Princess Celestia's ugly cousin, Darth Bane.
Poor Darth was kicked out of the franchise when he unwittingly cackled during the starting credits.
His response: "I guess I'd rather be part of the Twilight series than sing with Twilight Sparkle".

Angel Spirit Girl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Spirit Girl View Post
This is Day Five
This creature is a(n): Plains Hippogriff
This is its story: This specimen is a tiercel (male) eyas (downy stage chick) of the species. Unlike others in the Griff biological family, plains hippogriffs do not lay eggs. They give live birth, and the young can run within several hours of delivery. However, the young are not born with feathers. These young have a shaggy down on their wings at birth. This down takes until the next Spring to grow out of when they shed their first Winter coat at almost a year of age. The formel (female) will feed her chick on regurgitated meat from her prey at first. Then she will share her kills until it is skillful enough to catch its prey. They will hunt a wide rage of creatures from prairie dogs to coyotes to pronghorns to big horned sheep. Most hunting is done individually, but larger prey will be taken by hippogriff families : mating pairs, learning juveniles, or young unattached males who band together. Adult plains hippogriffs will grow up to the size of large wolves, have up to a seven foot wingspan, and weigh up to thirty-five pounds. As with most predators, they have a fierce temperament, and have been known to attack humans.

blueblackrose:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblackrose View Post
This is Day Five
This creature is a(n): Harptaur
This is its story: The Harptaur lives in the plains like areas and forests of Duval. It has the head and neck of a bird and the body of a horse. Its tail resembles that of a bird as well. This creature stands at about 21 hands high at the shoulder when fully grown. The Harptaur’s diet consists of insects, berries, seeds and rodents. It is a fast runner and has been clocked at speeds of 40 mph. This creature also has keen eyesight and hearing that enable it to evade most predators and find its prey easily. Not many be a few specimen of this strange creature have been found with wings. Further research of this creature will have to be done to determine if the specimen with wings are a new species of the Harptaur.

M i n u x e:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M i n u x e View Post

This is Day Five
This creature is a(n): Drovathun pithatacene, also known as the Qwarth hooved pithere, or just pithere
This is its story: The pithere's closest relative is the emu and ostrich, meaning it is a type of bird. However, unlike its relatives it lives in cold habitats like the Rocky mountains and Swiss alps. Due to its cold habitat it evolved hooves, to grip the rocky mountain surface, and fur, to keep its vital organs warm. The pithere is also larger than both the emu and ostrich, and its great size allows it to jump extremely far and high. This is useful during hunting and predator evasion.
The pithere is an omnivore that eats many types of grasses, ferns, and mosses, as well as small rodents and large insects. The pithere is a diurnal creature (active during the day and sleeps at night) that lives in groups of about 20-30. When the group grazes there are always at least 2 pitheres on the lookout for predators like wolves. When a predator is spotted the pithere will warn the group by stomping its hoof and whacking its tail very hard against a plant.
The unique thing about pitheres is that during mating season the males will emit a sound that sounds like beatboxing to attract females. While they make their beatboxing sound they also move the feathers around their neck to the beat. This behavior has given them the nickname of "beatboxing bird".
R U B Y:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R u b y View Post
This is Day Five
This creature is a(n): Feathered Horseicus Beaksnouticus. Or its more commons name, Tiny.
This is its story: The Feathered Horseicus Beaksnouticus is an ancient creature. It's remains were found in a Duvalian mine while the miners were tunneling out of a cave in due to a careless miner miscalculating the dynamite's power. Upon further analysis and research by Duvalian's top scientists it was finally identified as the rare creature. The ancient legend says that this creature was created when a horse and a raven were set up on blind date and found they had instant chemistry. The rest is Natural History.

~LONGCAT~:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LONGCAT~ View Post
This is Day Five
This creature is a(n): Soot Dancer
This is its story: A creature once rare in occurrence found only near active volcanoes, these animals are now seen as symbols of prosperity and luck in Duvalian culture. Soot Dancers now frequent factories and smelting yards for their heat and coal, which they sift through and eat to quench the acid produced in excess in their bile duct. When faced with danger they will regurgitate this acid as a projectile, they also use this ability to create nesting sites in the volcano walls and in deeper corners of the factories. The idea of them as a luck symbol came about when the first Soot Dancer seen in a factory came just before the factory later landed a prosperous commissioned project. For a while during the peak of the first industrial boom, factories would send spies and thieves into competitor's factories to make off with their Soot Dancers. Legislation was put into place to protect these creatures, but there is still a black market for Soot Dancer eggs bought to be hatched in a factory to bring luck and prosperity.
iamnotspam:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotspam View Post
This is Day Five
This creature is a(n): Black Land Pegasus; this is a rare species of Black Pegasus.
This is its story:
The boy and his Black Pegasus exited the plains nearby the Elven Forests and entered a dark cavern, rainwater pooling off skin and cloth alike and leaving a wet trail as they quietly walked inwards for several minutes. When he was sure he could light a fire without it being seen from the outside, he did so; as his pegasus lay down by the fire to dry off and to sleep, the boy hung removed his raincloak and sat where he had ample view of any approach from the entrance of the cave yet close enough to the fire to keep warm.

He glanced at the pegasus to make sure it was comfortable, then removed an ancient book with fading text from his pouch; he stared at it a moment as he contemplated what he was about to do. After all, if it was found out that he had borrowed-- nay, stolen, an ancient manuscript from the Elder Wizards' Library, then would surely be in more trouble than losing his Wizards' Apprenticeship. He looked at his pegasus once more, a creature documented and taught as unreal, and made up his mind -- he had to know the truth. He cracked open the book and read aloud to himself in barely a whisper, fearing that the wind might carry his words to some wizard far away despite the raging storm outside.
"Pegasus: a once common but now extinct creature...." he flipped to the next entry. "Black Pegasus: a rare species of Pegasus, and also extinct;..." wait. The picture looked wrong. It wasn't--- what was this entry over here?

"Black Land Pegasus: the second rarest species of Pegasus; much loved as royal pets until-"
"What are you doing, Arnof?" A cold and familiar voice erupted in a deadly whisper beside the boy who jumped in fright as his face paled.
"Master Palot! I-I-I--" the frightened boy's gaze unconsciously drifted to his black land pegasus in concern, but it was alright.
Unfortunately, the elder wizard's gaze tracked Arnof's and widened in shock. Master Palot quickly regained his composure, however, and looked back at the boy with the book. "Never mind that fraudulent manuscript." He snapped, grabbed the book, and threw it in the fire. "Since you managed to find one of these, I will tell you the truth.

The book would have you believe that pegasi were natural creatures, either by creation of a god or by natural though unusual breeding. Both answers are wrong. I know the truth because, like you--" he took a moment to smirk at his trembling apprentice "--I too stole a copy of the manuscript. One of the elder wizards, who was not my master, caught me; and while my master would have thrown me back where I came from, that same elder wizard took me in and eventually inducted me into the Order of the Black Pegasus.

The Black Pegasi are, as I stated before, not natural creatures. An ambitious and evil wizard from long ago murdered his king and stole that king's Black Pegasus. After which he hid away and conducted a magical experiment on the black pegasus, causing it much pain. However, it didn't come out as he had intended; yes, the Black Land Pegasus could still fly, but now it could not carry a passenger, and its glorious wings were turned into that." he pointed at the Black Land Pegasus's tail. "That turns into feathery wings, allowing the Black Land Pegasus to glide. It's not truly flying, but...." He straightened in a second. "We must go if you want to learn more. There are Elder Wizards of an opposing Order on the way."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephila View Post
This is Day Five
This creature is a(n): Miniature Hippogrosse
This is its story:
Found in the desserts the Hippogrosse is making a resurgence in numbers after being endangered. They were once hunted for their tail plumage. It was highly sot after for high fashion head dresses.

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 04-22-2013 at 03:35 AM..