View Single Post
heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2009, 04:09 AM

[005.] Maybe I'm Broken

"Uh, Alanova," Fallen said quietly, a little unsure of himself.

"Fallen, what is it?" There was the slight sound of annoyance in her voice. "We should be flying now!"

"Alanova, I can't will my wings to grow," there was more than a little worry in his own voice.

"Really?" Alanova sauntered over, curiously examining his back. Prodding at his shoulder blades, she asked, "Maybe if you get angry they'll grow."

"How do you propose we accomplish my getting angry?" He asked.

"I dunno," she shrugged. "Hey! Maybe if I taunt you, you'll get upset!" She clapped her hands together and thought of several ideas to fire him up. After all of her attempts failed, she threw her arms down to her sides. She seemed utterly incapable of upsetting him. "Let's go into the city. You're sure to get upset there," she suggested, bluntly.

She was right. The mere thought of going into the city with all of those people riled him up. He looked away in anguish. "You know..." he began, still quiet, "I'm not human, so..." He trailed off.

"'So,' what?" Alanova pressured him.

"So maybe I'm just... broken," he said.

"Don't be ridiculous!" Alanova shouted. Fallen had never seen her angry before, but at that moment, she sure was.

"It's not ridiculous!" He retorted.

"It is so! You're not broken! Maybe you're just hungry, that's why your wings won't grow. Have you eaten anything lately?" She asked, still mad.

"I'm not hungry! I'm broken!" He yelled. He felt the familiar sharp pain and pull at his back, just as when he was about to sprout wings, only this time it was excruciatingly intense.

Alanova watched as his eyes widened. He lost his breath and fell down to one knee, clutching his ribs. Fallen felt as if he was being torn apart, and suddenly, one huge black iron wing ripped its way from his back.

Fallen, crouched now on his hands and knees, breathed heavily and a few beads of sweat trickled down his forehead. His back was throbbing where the wing had grown. He could feel it. He could tell and one look at the panic apparent on Alanova's face made him certain: His wing was broken.

Last edited by heartages; 11-19-2009 at 11:14 PM..