View Single Post
heartages
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2009, 06:04 AM

[076.] Riley and the Set of Unusual Weapons

All day long Riley heard the clinks and clanks of metal. She'd grown to love the sounds, which was good considering she was a blacksmith. She'd learned the trade from her uncle who had raised her, and once she'd surpassed him in skill, he retired and opened a tavern connected to a new workshop for Riley's use.

Riley loved her job, but more and more often, she was getting a lot of commissions to make and repair weapons. This made her curious and a bit suspicious. Was there suddenly such a great need for those weapons?

Soon, it became the main subject matter of her work. Most other requests were handled by her assistant Claudio. Every day Riley had at least one weapon to work on. She'd seen her share of swords, battle axes, knives, daggers, and every other sort of weapon. Riley's favorite to repair, create, handle and even wield was the battle axe. She kept what she felt was her best work, her grand battle axe, mounted on the wall of her shop.

One day, as she was working, a man dressed in dark clothing entered the shop. He laid a large sack down in the middle of her workspace.

"Excuse me," she said, annoyed.

"I'm sorry to interrupt you, but," she looked up to see a smiling face, which was not what she expected to see considering his dress and the tone of his voice. "Could you please repair these as soon as possible. I'll greatly compensate you for your speed." He dumped a sack of coins onto her table as well. Riley gawked at them. "I'll be doing some more shopping in town and will return to pick them up later. Don't worry, it's not too bad. Just make them good and sharp." Then, he waltzed out of the shop.

Riley opened the first sack to see an assortment of weapons she had never seen before. They were interestingly and beautifully designed and all of the metal was completely black. Riley was curious about them, but seeing as the man had left, she could only get on with the work. She dropped her curiosity and picked up her whetstone and file, ready to work now and ask questions later, if at all.

Last edited by heartages; 12-14-2009 at 08:00 PM..