Casiana
Word to your Grandmother
Send a message via MSN to Casiana Send a message via Yahoo to Casiana

Old 07-19-2010, 04:44 AM

I have written you a story!
Username: Casiana
Submission: Greed

SPOILERX

On a beach at sunset one finds it odd to see a child of seven. The windswept, curly-haired child was singing lovingly at the sea, without a care in the world. She admired the waters with wide green eyes.

Yet no matter how out of place the child was, she was nowhere near as fascinating as the woman she found.

Her colorful clothes were torn, her hazel-tanned skin was scarred, her long raven hair was matted- and yet she was the most exotic woman the child had seen. There was little familiar about her, but of one thing the child was positive- she couldn't believe her eyes!- this woman was certainly a Pirate!

The woman did not move, did not glance. She simply spoke. "You are far from home, little girl."

The girl stepped closer. "I sense you are, as well," she replied. She was not sure if it was polite, but she was comforted by the woman's response.

She snorted softly, smiling. "Of that you are correct." She turned her head and looked at the child. "Do you know who I am?"

"I know that you are a pirate."

"Very perceptive." She sighed, looking out towards the sea. Slowly, she slid down the stone and walked gracefully to the ocean, watching the waves lap her toes. The child followed, looking up at the woman. She met her gaze.

"My name is Zip," she told the woman. "Please tell me your name."

"My name?" The woman sighed. "Once I was Alzias- Captain Alzias."

Zip looked out at the sunset, silent for a moment, then nodded. "You are a pirate named Alzias. Where is your ship?"

"That is a long tale. Are you prepared to hear it?"

The girl nodded. In response, Alzias the Pirate sat straight-legged in the sand, letting the waves wash her calves. When Zip was seated next to her, she began.

"It was months, maybe a year ago that our ship set off on a journey towards the Island of Lost Time. The stories of gold were more than my crew could handle. That day the air was thick with excitement. It was... oddly relaxing.

"Ten days at sea we were hailed by another ship. This ship was lead by the Pirate Rain. Rain is a strong man with a stronger crew. Some say his strength is parallel to the stormy seas. Rain had been after the Island as well, but no word had been heard of any sight of his ship for many moons.

"When he and my crew met, we were told a terrible tale. On the way towards the Island of Lost Time, his crew was greeted by a horrific black bird with the face and torso of a human. It roosted on the crow's nest. Its breath stank of rotted corpses and sun-swelled flesh. It gave a warning to the crew, to turn back, else they become its next meal. It taunted them, dared them to continue, with temptations of riches, all while gleefully bragging at the strength of the guardians. It flew away with a cackle.

"Despite this warning, they continued. Rain is not a man to heed such an insult. However, two nights later, they met another challenge- a terrible storm formed around their ship. The farther the ship sailed the worse it got. Crew members were being tossed overboard, physically pulled from their posts. Rain ordered a complete turnaround, but the ship was met with harsh resistance. It took days of fighting to be clear of the last of the storm. His crew was reduced to a third of what they once were, and a number of them were injured or ill.

"Rain told us that he hailed to warn us. He told us to turn back, that we were facing grave danger, that they were lucky to be alive.

"We did not listen.

"We met with the strange bird. We met with the storm. I don't know how we managed, but we powered through it. We were beyond excited. We had succeeded where Rain hadn't! Our spirits were lifted once more.

"Of course, the islands' defense wasn't going to give up easily. It gave us a few days' reprieve, but with what it had it store for us, it didn't matter.

"We started our four week's mark of our journey in a light spirit. The sea was calm, the sun was high. The storm's damage had finally been repaired. For the first time since the storm took many of us, we were peaceful.

"Then the sky turned black. Thick clouds floated across the sky, blocking out the sun. The waters began to roll. An impossibly tall wave approached the bow of the ship, and out of the wall of water came a group of incredibly large tentacles. Our ship stood no chance.

"Masts cracked and fell; sails tore; men, women, and children were thrown overboard- myself included. The ship crumbled all around us. Those who survived the fall into the water drowned in the waves or were pummeled by debris.

"With all my life, I held onto a bit of driftwood and floated away. I paid no attention to those around me. I just floated, until I landed here. I don't know where I am, how long it's been, or how many of us survived. All I know is that I am alive, when I shouldn't be. I let my crew die, because our greed was too strong."

She looked down at Zip. She wasn't sure when, but the sun had set. The girl was staring at her with wide, fearful eyes. "Remember my story," Alzias told her, "and never forget that there are more important things than riches. It will save you in the end, I promise you." Then she began to cry.

Final notes: I hope you enjoy :)

Last edited by Casiana; 07-19-2010 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: Making it easier to read the story