View Single Post
Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 12-28-2018, 09:53 PM

I completely disagree with the notion that "it's not rape if you're married" :(
As a victim myself, I've heard many people tell me that since I was "dating" the guy who raped me that that meant I automatically consented.

I think the thing that upset me is when someone doesn't make it clear that they revoked consent. It hurts me because the rape I experienced happened many years ago, but still haunts me to this day. It ruined my life and while I understand that rape effects everyone differently, I don't believe in telling someone that they were raped when they never told their partner that they no longer consented.

I went through hell to get someone to believe me. I feel that when someone makes false accusation or even just exaggerated accusations, it reflects badly on survivors because it creates a sense of doubt and it diminishes the impact that rape has on a person.

I think of it this way, if someone says, "I have mood swings, does that make me bipolar?" Would you say "yes" because that's what they want to hear? Or would you be honest and say, "It's not bipolar to just have mood swings."