View Single Post
Seiki Nova
Wishing on Shooting Stars

Old 05-27-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
It actually seems really short to me. :gonk: Which is why I'm considering staying for longer, but that would depend on if I can find a different job. I'm allowed to recontract for up to 5 years, which is what I plan to do. (But you're right, the base contract is only for one year, except you're pretty much guaranteed to get renewed as long as you're not a terrible teacher.)

Yikes, sounds like you have a lot going on. I commend you for working full-time and taking classes! I seriously could not do that. Schoolwork took so much of my time and attention that I didn't bother getting a job during my final two years at university. I'm glad you have time to meet with friends and family, though. What are you studying?

Me? I'm doing great. :) I really enjoy my job, I've been gradually improving my Japanese so I can have proper conversations now (though I'm far from fluent), and I've made a bunch of friends that I have the good fortune of seeing pretty often. In short - life is good.
I don't know if I could ever be a teacher. Maybe when I got old enough and retired I wouldn't mind being like a college professor or something, but at the same time I don't want to be the has-been that's stuck working as a teacher later on in life like the majority of my film professors. I'm glad you're having fun doing it though. It's not for everyone, especially if you're moving to a foreign country to do so. And five years seems like a really long time in the short-term perspective. Five years from now I'll be 27 and hopefully living in New York as an editor or at the very least working for a publishing house trying to climb my way up to an editor position. And probably working in a coffee shop part-time so I can pay my bills haha.

Like I was saying in my thread, I have too much stuff planned not to work and go to school at the same time. I'm going to England in a year and a half for my study abroad, and I need to have my car paid off before then and enough money saved so that I can afford to live there comfortably for five months. I want to be able to travel on my weekends, even if it's just for day trips so I can see some of Europe and get my passport stamped a bunch of times!

But I like the challenge of working and going to school as well. It keeps me on my toes so I make sure to get everything done and not waste my time like I'm prone to doing.

And to answer your question, I'm a double major in English Lit/Film and Media Studies. I'm hoping to be an editor and I just thought that film would be a good background to have when considering book proposals since a lot of the film industry is influenced by books these days. And the two majors fit so well together it's like I'm not even doing any extra work for them.