View Single Post
Chi
Dancing to her own beat..
Penpal

Old 07-02-2007, 02:02 AM

Oh, Snape wasn't bound by contract to kill Voldemort. He was bound to protect Draco, and he wouldn't have gotten out with Draco alive had he not killed Dumbledore.

Voldemort wanted Harry to be left, yes, but something about the way it was written (the scene where Snape yelled at the others to leave Harry be) just seemed... fake. It seemed like it was something Snape wanted, and not just Snape following Voldemort's orders.

I'll go ahead and post it. I wrote it two days after the book was released, give or take. I really do need a freshen-up on it, and definitely before the final book comes out. I took out the stuff I wrote on Harry/Voldemort...

---

Quote:
I was right about who would die next, but I was definitely wrong in who the person responsible was.

The only thing I can say in Snape's defense, though, is this:

He was bound by the vow he begrudgingly made with Narcissa to protect Draco. He could not break that; he was completely bound.

He would not fight Harry. It was not an act of cowardice, not with what Snape had just done. The throwing of the whole James insult was oddly placed. It's like he was just grasping for some lame insult to detour Harry.

He would not allow another Death-Eater to lay harm Harry. Voldemort's orders? Pfft. Why not immobilize Harry and capture him as well? He was naked in his defenses. He could have hand-wrapped Harry himself and tossed him at Voldemort's feet to play with. (Yes, yes, I know...Voldemort prefers to work alone. He'd want to get Harry himself, yes, yes. But still. It plays on my mind, the way he kept yelling at Harry to stop. To me, it was for Harry's benefit - no one else's. His own way of telling him to shut up, back off, and prepare himself for what was to come months ahead.)

There's got to be more to Snape "turning traitor" than this. Dumbledore would not have trusted him to the depths he had if Snape were not worthy of it. Dumbledore was not stupid. He knows a bad wizard when he sees them. He knew Voldemort's intentions before anyone else. He knew everything Draco had been doing, with the exception of the cabinet ports.

I feel that honestly, Dumbledore would have preferred Snape kill him than another Death-Eater. He didn't want the burden on Draco's shoulders, and neither did Snape. There's reason fingers are pointing more so toward Snape now. I don't think Rowling would have given the man the depth she did in the Order of the Phoenix if he were to end the way it looks he will.

Remember, Hagrid saw Dumbledore and Snape actually arguing outside. Dumbledore knew of the bond. He knew what that meant for Snape, no matter what the cost.

But of course, you see, this is more than likely inaccurate, and anyone who knows me knows I quite like Snape and his complexity.

We all knew Dumbledore had to die. I knew that the second I finished the fifth book. Voldemort feared Dumbledore, and no one else. With him in the picture, it would be harder for the final battle to approach. Harry needs to face him with his own resources, and now he has to.