View Single Post
.Simplicity.
(ᵔᴥᵔ)
Send a message via MSN to .Simplicity.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:39 AM

January 5, 2014

Today was an interesting day at work...maybe not pleasant, but interesting. It started off with me being moved down to self-checkout. A lady and two males were checking out when I relieved the cashier who had been down there. They were the only ones since it was super slow due to the snow storm we were predicted to had, so I had nothing better to do than watch them. They rang up a total of around $190 in items. I watched the lady swipe her card, then one male left. He even commented on my boots, saying how they looked nice (thanks). Next thing I know, the other male is pushing the cart to leave the self-checkout area without the transaction being completed. So, without hesitation I communicated to him that I couldn't let him leave the store, because their items hadn't been paid for. He insisted they were, where I told him again they hadn't been paid for and he couldn't leave with them (it's stealing, duh). At that time, he left and the lady came towards me screaming that her groceries had been paid for. I told her they hadn't been, because she still had a balance at her self-checkout terminal. She continued yelling at me, saying how her groceries were paid for because of EBT (she had swiped the card but still had a balance for non-food items) and that she could leave with them. Well, this isn't the case, because without a receipt in your hand lady, you're not leaving and your items aren't paid for. After more yelling at me, she told me to "take the damn items off", so I being snarky told her she could "help me" in voiding them off at the terminal she had been using. During this whole process she hadn't stopped yelling, to the point where I had a co-store manager, two assistant managers, and a cash service manager over there trying to calm the crazy lady down. She continued yelling to the point where one of the assistant manager's told her "You need to leave, now." I couldn't have been any happier at that time. I voided her items off, finished her transaction, and she left in a gruff.

So why go through all that trouble to stop these people from leaving? They shop at my job often, use self-checkout, and look sketchy as hell. She's previously had EBT problems in the self-checkout area so she knew what she was doing. She knew I couldn't suspend a transaction that had EBT taken off already, but she was on a "Card Only - No Cash" terminal, but didn't have another form of payment. If she had left without the transaction being finished, she would have made off with almost $200 worth of free groceries AND still had money on her EBT card. People like this, who try to steal really irk me to no end. Ultimately, later the assistant manager who told her to leave (Sherry is her name) gave me a hug and said she loved me. She did the same when I left work as well. Things like that give me a reason to enjoy my job, because I enjoy working with most of the other employees.

Ryan also went on a climbing trip to Tennessee with a few of our friends. A Five hour trip (or at least that's what he told me) and he'll be there for five days. I'm already missing him like crazy, so poopy. But, at least I know he'll enjoy himself learning how to trad climb! Plus, he gets to see awesome things like this! It'd for sure be nice to be there with them, but bills call... so someday I'll be out there climbing more often. :)