View Single Post
wonderfinch
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to wonderfinch

Old 01-30-2008, 08:47 AM

It depends on the sort of critique, honestly-- when someone makes a comment on an anatomy or perspective mistake that I made, I actually feel that it makes the piece look much better than it originally did. But when someone comments on an aspect of my style, I can definitely relate to what you said. People sometimes tell me that I could do certain things to make my art more "appealing" (i.e. draw in a strict manga style), but not only is it something I do poorly, it's not something that I enjoy doing, and making my pictures look more like a manga artists' makes me feel like I've sold out, even if those pictures are more popular.
[edit because i ignored the question at the end. silly me.]
In short, I think it's okay to listen to criticism that will ultimately help you grow as an artist. Even if you don't, for example, fix a really skewed bit of anatomy, it's always helpful to remember things like that for the next picture you draw. But I think that criticism on style and other things that are largely matters of personal preference can and should be ignored, because it's just one person being picky.