View Single Post
Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)っ ♥

Penpal

Old 12-17-2013, 04:39 AM

"Them's my grandbabies you're talkin' about, girl." Widow Harper drew herself to her full height and attempted to frown down at Aneja. It would have worked better if her full height wasn't still several inches shorter than the rogue, of course. She made a grand effort, however, before snorting and muttering something about 'cityfolk.' She shook her head and pointed at the ground, where peach pits could be made out under every tree. A closer look at the stones revealed there wasn't even a shred of fruit still clinging to them. "They leave the stones, an' if four er five men et that many peaches they'd be sicker'n a drunk snake."

"But it can't be critters what's doin' it, either. Lookee." She stumped over to where they'd entered the orchard and untied a string that seemed to be holding more string to a post. Once freed, the 'string' attached the post revealed itself to be a fine net that draped across the opening they'd come in by. Having seen one section of the net, it became easier to spot more netting held up by tall poles and covering the entire section of red-ribboned trees like some kind of ephemeral tent. "Bird net. Keeps out any kind a bird er critter what's big enough ta make a meal outta the peaches. We keep it closed unless we're workin' in here. Cost a fortune, er I'd have it over everythin' instead a just these, but they make me enough money ta make it worthwhile... or they did 'til somethin' started eatin' em."

That said, she carefully began pulling the netting back to the post it had been tied to, not trusting the strangers not to rip the expensive net or find a way out of it on their own.

Meanwhile, Draza's keen nose caught the faint hint of smoke in the orchard. Not normal woodsmoke, this scent... it was far more like the incense that was popular in the temples in town. Definitely an odd smell to be found in an orchard.