View Single Post
Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 04-15-2016, 11:00 PM

Samir's day went much the same as it always did, no matter how he looked forward to it just like every year. He did notice a new kid in a couple of his classes--hard not to notice since the teacher made a point of it. Hardly necessary, but it peeked his interest so he didn't mind. The new kid looked nerdy like him, or maybe Samir just got stuck on the glasses. He should know better than most that glasses didn't make a man and nor did a love for books and studies. After all, he went in with good intentions of having fun and working hard that day, but found himself daydreaming early on before lunch even came. It was just, he started to wonder what interesting thing he could actually do if he did more than read.

Lunch went by. He sat with a few friends and they talked, half about a math teacher that assigned real homework on the first day, Marianne's shocking perm, and then, the new kid.

"I'm not sure about him,"
a friend said. Samir pushed his glasses up, questioning in silence. "I mean, did you see the posters he was putting up this morning?"

"You mean the mystery ones? I didn't realize that guy...ah, Noah? Put them up." Which only made him more interested than he already was. When he saw the first poster on the way to his second class, he felt his breath catch. Not that he said that now. He was a nerd and they were nerds so he should stick to math club or something. Though he didn't actually like math that much. "...I wonder if people will join."

The others shrugged and finished their lunch, moving mainly onto the recent scientific article that got published and even got a mention in the town's little newspaper. If Samir zoned out, wondering about pirate ghosts, no one noticed.

After school ended though, it was no surprise he found the room where the club sign up was held. Being polite, he said a few words and took the form, filling it out without showing just how childishly excited he really was at the idea of it all. Not like anything much would happen in a small town like this, but somewhere inside, he was a hopeless dreamer.

Walking home after school, he couldn't help but continue daydreaming. He had only a little homework, mostly reviews of last year's material and summer reading stuff so he stopped by the library to check out a handful of mystery books. Might as well brush up on the genre if he was going to play around with it. As much as he liked the idea, he didn't actually know much of anything about mystery clubs and certainly nothing mysterious around here besides Tucker Bill's garden smell.