View Single Post
Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-22-2017, 12:15 AM

Day Three StoryX

Shadami: I thought small town living was supposed to be peaceful and quiet. This is the opposite of peaceful and quiet!

Brian: If you don’t keep your voice down, you’re going to be resting in peace.

Shadami: My grandma used to tell me stories about Eyeless Silas. I just thought it was something the old folks told to scare us kids. I can’t believe some psychopath is using the legend to his advantage.

Brian: And I’m telling you it’s real.

Shadami: And how do you know?

Brian: I just… I can feel it. No human could have done the things I saw.

Shadami: Well I still think it's baloney.

Brian: I... wouldn't be so sure...
Shadami: [scoffing] Why?

Brian: Cause Eyeless Silas is standing right there!

---

After Officer Tate fell dead on the station floor, it was pure chaos. Bodies crashed into one another, as the townspeople funneled out of the lobby. Kristopher had grabbed April’s hand, and together with a few others, they made their way to the holding cells. Lights switched off, they sat on the bunks in silence for what seemed like an eternity, but was really close to a half-hour.

Of all the people in Lake Cornwell, Kristopher considered April Maxwell to be his oldest and dearest friend. There were plenty of people you would call down-to-earth, but Kris thought most of them were limited by their small town mentalities. But April was so much more. She contained a fire that he always seemed to find himself attracted to, in some manner. And once upon a time, he thought they would be together forever. But that fire was made for hearth and home, and what he wanted lay beyond the doorstep of Lake Cornwell. – April has made a comfortable life for herself since then. A nice house, a good man, in charge of the family business. One would wonder now if Kris still held a torch for her, but in truth it was her contentment he was most envious of.

Huddled up against Kris’ larger frame, April finally spoke.

April: It’s been a long time since we sat on a bed together.

Kristopher: Centuries.

April: It feels kinda nice.

Kristopher: And now we don’t have to worry about your father walking in on us. … Just a murderer.

April: [flinches, but ignores the comment] You ever think about us, what we used to have?

Kristopher: There are instances, when I’m feeling nostalgic for simpler times.

April: [chuckles] I was so mad when you decided to leave.

Kristopher: [nodding] I know.

April: I thought I would never forgive you. Our problems seem so astronomical when we’re that young. But, things change and we all move on.

Kristopher: No, some of us end up right back where we started.

April: [touching his shoulder] It’ll happen some day.

Kristopher: [changing the subject] How are things with you and Ben?

April: Good. He picked a fine time to go out of town, though. I wish he was here with me. … No offense.

Kristopher: None taken.

April: I’m just so scared.

Kristopher: I think terrified is a more fitting adjective.

April: [pauses, then speaks] Have you been seeing anyone lately?

Kristopher: My therapist.

April: [hitting him on the arm] You know what I mean.

Kristopher: No… I’m just, y’know, too caught up with other things. There is someone… that I’ve thought of. But it wouldn’t work.

April: You need to learn to let more people into your world, Kris.

Kristopher: [sighs] My world is too dark for most people, April. … Christ, did I just say that out loud?

April: [laugh] Yeah, you did. I’m getting flashbacks of your angsty teenage poetry.

Just then, the door to the holding cells open. Everyone freezes, afraid of whom it might be. But a familiar voice puts them at ease.

Sheriff Hamilton: [urgently] Is anyone in here?! Hello!

April: Oh my god, Sheriff Hamilton! We’re here!

Sheriff Hamilton: What’s going on?! What happened to Dennis?!

Kristopher: Let’s head back to the lobby first. It’s too confining in here.

Sheriff Hamilton called out, and people began to emerge. With Shane’s help, they moved Officer Tate’s body to the call center. Brooke Hamilton is a woman good at taking hold of a situation, but right now she realizes that the situation is out of hand. She needs to keep these people safe, but also catch whoever is hunting them down. Dennis was the only officer on duty, the others having taken their vacations. Something had to be done, but what?

Sheriff Hamilton: [rubbing her forehead] Tell me what happened. I went back to the town hall, but Dennis was already gone.

Shane: He stumbled into the police station. He said Eyeless Silas was coming, and then collapsed.

Sheriff Hamilton: [dumbfounded] He said that? Eyeless Silas…

Everyone turns as Mayor Barton bursts into the room, looking pale as a sheet.

April: Holy crap! Randy, what’s wrong?!

Mayor Barton: In the interrogation room, the killer got Shadami... Brian too… His eyes are gone!

Sheriff Hamilton: Did you see who did it?!

Mayor Barton: [almost in a trance] No… I… I found them… like that. [coming back to himself] But there was another message. It said ‘LIARS!’ See?

Kristopher: [flatly] You took a selfie?

Mayor Barton: Obviously, who else was gonna hold my phone?

Miss Chapman: [throwing up her hands] That’s it! That’s more than enough murder and mayhem for me! I’m blowing this pop stand!

Sheriff Hamilton: Mrs. Chapman, I can’t let you leave. It’s too dangerous. It’s safest here with me and the others.

Miss Chapman: [scoffing] Safe? With you? Ha! Did you keep Norma June safe? Did you keep that Owen boy safe? I think I’ll take my chances elsewhere.

Kristopher: Tallulah, Sheriff Hamilton is right. The killer could be anywhere. It’s best if we all stick together.

Miss Chapman: And why should I listen to the town communist?

Kristopher: I am not the town communist! I’ve already explained I thought I was signing up for water skiing lessons.

Miss Chapman: Whatever helps you sleep at night, comrade. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ll wish you all a Merry Chr…

Mayor Barton: [interrupting] Secular, non-denominational, culturally inoffensive, all-inclusive, winter holiday.

Miss Chapman: With all due respect, Mayor Barton, blow it out your ass. [and she bolts out the door]

Shane: Surprisingly fast for an eighty-three year old.

Sheriff Hamilton: Goddamnit, this is all we need! Where is she headed?

April: [looking out the door] Toward the town square. But I can’t see her anymore.

Sheriff Hamilton: We need to find her, and fast!

Day Three ResultsX

Church
I'd tell ya to say your prayers, but I don't think it'll do you any good. :(
(VICTIM - SEE F.A.Q.)

Cook's Electronics
Not having any major department stores, Cook's has the electronics market cornered in Lake Cornwell. The selection is not the largest, but the prices are fair. From TVs to PCs. Headphones to smart phones. And if you're like Miss Chapman, the prices are a steal.
(SuperStar Headphones)

Drop In, Shoppin'
April Maxwell would like everyone to know that the Drop In, Shoppin' is having it's annual winter sale. That means big savings on all your household essentials. From toilet paper to canned soup. No need to empty your wallet, like you would with those big name retail chains. At the Drop In, Shoppin', you're gonna save!
(+400g )

Lake Cornwell Daily News
Aside from the murderous rampage that's occurring tonight, life in Lake Cornwell is pretty slow. There's really not enough news to fill its pages, except for that time Miss Chapman mooned the governor. That was a twenty page spread. -- No, what keeps people coming back are the Daily News' original comics, though the Wacky Adventures of Eyeless Silas will probably have to be discontinued.
(Life in Comics)

Norton's Tailor
Norton's tailor is a small tailoring and fitting shop that's been a part of Lake Cornwell for decades. Nowadays, it's run by a father and daughter team. One of Norton's notable features is the a gown that sits in the shop window. Years ago, a beautiful woman brought in the dress to be taken in. She paid in advance and said she would come back the next week, but never returned. Since then the gown has been prominently displayed, waiting for its owner.
(Gown of the Golden Moon)

Post Office
The post office is a lovely building, but has certainly seen better days. Checking through one of the many alcoves, you find something etched onto the stone. It's three strange symbols, too shadowed to clearly see. Curious.

Ralph and Jemima’s Candy Shoppe
Ralph and Jemima are an eccentric brother and sister duo who have been selling candy in Lake Cornwell since the 90s. Their signature candy is the Snippity Snap, a thin praline with peppermint and almond. The shop is decorated like a giant piece of candy, which can be disorienting to some.
(Candywrap Wallpaper)

Satterwhite's Daycare
For almost thirty years, Satterwhite's Daycare has tended to Lake Cornwell's youngest citizens. Miss Satterwhite, a kindhearted woman with a fondness for children, lives in a small cottage behind the daycare. Not many people know this, but once a week Miss Satterwhite likes to visit the race tracks in Torley. Sometimes she wins, sometimes she loses, but she always has a good time.
(+600g )

Where is everybody?X

-- Church
Divacita - ooo
HIM_ROCK - ooo
salvete - ooo
star2000shadow - ooo
Xogizmoox - ooo

-- Cook's Electronics
Dystopia - ooo
Kent - ooo
Mageling - ooo
Velvet - ooo
Xo~GREMLIN~oX - ooo

-- Drop In, Shoppin'
DivineHeart - ooo
Professor Lily - ooo

-- Lake Cornwell Daily News
ghostPastry - ooo
Mikio - ooo
Rochiel Silverfire - ooo
Shadami - ooo

-- Norton's Tailor
dragoness129 - ooo
Naisou - ooo
Nema - ooo
woohoohelloppl - ooo

-- Post Office
Damia Flagg - ooo
Eastriel - ooo
Hadsvich - ooo
hummy - ooo
Kay - ooo
Kiari - ooo
Maha-Aamir - ooo
musasgal - ooo
wish - ooo
xoxoAngiexoxo - ooo

-- Ralph and Jemima’s Candy Shoppe
Angel Spirit Girl - ooo
*Hime* - ooo
Miscreant74 - ooo

-- Satterwhite's Daycare
evilcupcakecat - ooo
Mimmu - ooo

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 12-30-2017 at 06:01 AM..