View Single Post
Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-22-2017, 12:30 AM

Day Five StoryX

Townie A: [upset] I should have just stayed home, like I wanted to, wrapped up in a nice warm blanket, before a nice warm fire, with a nice warm mug of cocoa.

Townie B: So why didn’t you?

Townie A: Because of civic pride and town loyalty and all that crap.

Townie B: I just wanted to see if Mayor Barton would fall off the stage again.

Townie A: And that too.

Townie B: I guess that’s why he had the stage lowered during the renovation.

Miss Chapman: Too bad there’s nothing they can do to keep him from tripping over his words. That boy is dumber than a bag of dead woodchucks.

Townie B: I hope we find the others soon.

Townie A: [shivering] Me too. We have to get inside. It’s freezing!

Eyeless Silas: Don’t worry, I can make it so you’re never cold again.

Townie A: Oh my god! Everyone run!

Townie B: Someone help Miss Chapman! *turns* Wait… Miss Chapman?

Townie A: [incredulously] She’s already gone!

Miss Chapman: [in the distance] Feet don’t fail me now!

Eyeless Silas: Time to say goodnight!

Townie A: No! Please! Nooooooooooo ![croak] x_x

Eyeless Silas: [perusing the old woman] Where are you running to, Chapman?! I have a special treat for you!

Miss Chapman: Yeah, well you can kiss my wrinkled ass! How’s that for a treat?!

Eyeless Silas: [chuckling] There’s nowhere for you to hide! I will catch you!

Miss Chapman: In your dreams, you no-eyed numbnut! You couldn’t catch a fart in a pair of underpants! Just you see, no one gets the best of Tallulah Chap… AAAAAUUUGGGHHH!

---

The secular, non-denominational, culturally inoffensive, all-inclusive, winter holiday village was a new attraction in Lake Cornwell. Here one could buy a holiday tree, explore the holiday maze, bring your kids to see Holiday Harry… Y’know, the usual fare. Before then the land was long occupied by a drinking well made of actual corn. People would come from all over to stop and say, “Heh, a corn well. I get it.” Eventually the attraction became less amusing. Repeated jokes can be tiresome. Thankfully the secular, non-denominational, culturally inoffensive, all-inclusive, winter holiday village came along.

Mayor Barton: What am I doing, out here in the cold, in the middle of night? Tell me, what am I doing?

Kristopher: [offhandedly] Being annoying?

Mayor Barton: [ignoring the comment] I’m the mayor. Shouldn’t that afford me some degree of dignity? I’m sure the mayors of other cities don’t have to put up with this. The mayor of London doesn’t. The mayor of Tokyo, the mayor of Mexico.

Kristopher: Mexico’s a country.

Mayor Barton: [rolling his eyes] Fine, the mayor of New Mexico. The point is, why is this happening to me?

Kristopher: [stops to stare at the other man in disbelief] Maybe you should check your bank account, Randy, cause I’m not sure you can afford that dignity.

It wasn’t that Kristopher didn’t like Mayor Barton, but given the situation he would have preferred to have been paired off with anyone else.

Growing up, Randy Barton was Lake Cornwell’s golden child. He was popular, rich, good looking. Kristopher, ten years his junior, always looked up to the older boy with a sense of awe, as did many of the younger Cornwellians. He was a high school hero who was seemingly perfect in every way.

But as Kristopher matured, he realized that Randy’s charm was all surface. Here was a man who, though not unkind nor ill intentioned, had very little substance. And it was what it was, he thought. It didn’t affect him. But when Kristopher returned to Lake Cornwell, carrying the pieces of a broken dream, that’s when it started to bug him.

He had worked his hardest, shed sweat and tears, and all for naught. And here was Randy Barton, a man of underserved privilege, simply handed the keys to the kingdom. It made Kristopher bitter for a good many years. But therapy does wonders, and eventually he came to understand that Randy was an extremely limited person, who didn’t know how to exist any way except within his limitations. It didn’t completely erase the bitterness Kristopher felt, but it softened his feelings toward him.

But now, in this hour of crisis, something had to be done. The everyday workings of Lake Cornwell were one thing, but now people’s lives were in danger. It was time for Mayor Barton to step outside his limitations.

Kristopher: [sighing] Randy, I know we don’t always see eye to eye. I can be critical and you can be…

Mayor Barton: Stubborn?

Kristopher: I was gonna say a moron, but… No no, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that. [taking a breath] Look Randy… Mayor Barton… we need you right now. Sheriff Hamilton… is gone. Dennis is gone. And we’re all running around here like chickens with our heads cut off. I know that sometimes I question why you were elected. But despite any reason you were voted mayor, the point is that you are the mayor. And right now, more than ever, we need your leadership. If we’re going to survive this night, if we’re going to catch this killer, we need someone to keep us together.

Mayor Barton: [somewhat stunned] I… I don’t… I mean… … I’m scared. I don’t know if I can.

Kristopher: I know you’re scared, so am I. But sometimes we have to rise above our fear.

Mayor Barton: Do you think I can?

Kristopher: [pausing] Honestly, I don’t know. But now is the time to show this town you can be a leader. You’ve always wanted respect, Randy. You’ve always wanted Lake Cornwell to look up to you. Show us that you deserve it.

Sheepishly, Mayor Barton opens his mouth to speak, but is interrupted. From the darkness, April, Shane and the others appear. Embarrassed, Randy pivots and quickly wipes his eye, before turning back with his usual demeanor.

April: Oh good, here you both are. We were so worried.

Mayor Barton: Never fear, we’re hearty and healthy.

Kristopher: Is everyone here?

Shane: No, some of the others are missing, Miss Chapman too.

Kristopher: Crap, we need to find them. We should…

Mayor Barton: [interjecting] We should… stick together. It won’t do us any good to split up. There’s safety in numbers. We’ll find Miss Chapman and the others, and like Kris suggested, we’ll return to the police station and barricade ourselves inside. The station should have weapons, so we can defend ourselves until we can contact the state police. … Does that sound like a good idea?

Kristopher: [smiling] Works for me, boss.

Mayor Barton: [to April and Shane] Where have you checked?

Shane: Pretty much everywhere except the tree lot near the ravine.

Mayor Barton: Then that’s where we’re headed. Let’s pray our friends are safe.

Perhaps it was shock and horror still fresh in their brains, but this night seemed darker than any previous. They all moved as quickly as they could, but also as silently. The killer, this ‘ghost’ of Eyeless Silas, could be anywhere, and too many good people had been already lost.

Moving north and past the village office, they spotted a solitary snowmobile. It was decided that once they were all safe inside the police station, one of them would return to the vehicle and drive it out of town in search of help. – Shortly after they reached the tree lot, and it was April who first spotted the bodies and cried out.

April: No! … Why is he doing this to us?!

Kristopher: [hugging her] I don’t know.

Mayor Barton: [shining the light of his phone between the trees] Wait, I don’t see Miss Chapman.

Shane: [solemnly] Over here.

Anxiously, they all moved to the edge of the ravine. There was a break in the fence, and peering over, there, some ten feet below, was the unmoving form of Miss Chapman.

Kristopher: [lamenting] Tallulah… We can’t leave her down there?

April: [wiping her eyes] But there’s no way to get down.

Mayor Barton: [sadly] There’s nothing we can do for her now, we have to…

Shane: [calling out] Hey! C’mere!

Shane stood some six feet away, standing before a sign attached to the fencing. The gloom hid the sign’s surface, but as Randy raised his light, the message became clear. It read, ‘YOU KNOW THE TRUTH, BARTON! STOP LYING!’

Randy stepped backward, eyes wide and mouth gaping. Kristopher and the others rounded on him, shock on their faces.

Kristopher: Randy?… What.. what does that mean?

Mayor Barton: [furiously shaking his head] I… I don’t know! I don’t know anything!

Shane: Mayor Barton, do you know why this guy is doing this? Do you know why he’s after us?

Mayor Barton: No, I swear! I… [a look of realization covers his face] Oh god…

Shane: [aggressively] Randy, if you know something, you have to tell us!

Mayor Barton: No! I can’t… I mean, I don’t….

April: You do know something!

Caught like a deer in the headlights, Mayor Barton suddenly bolted. It took a second for the others to register what was happening before they all gave chase. Through the trees and back toward the village office, they could see Randy mounting the lone snowmobile. Kristopher raced forward, with all his strength, but didn’t catch him in time. Mayor Barton drove off.

Kristopher: [shouting, angry] Randy, you coward! I believed in you!

Mayor Barton: [calling back] I’m sorry, Kris! But you need to get out of Lake Cornwell, anyway you can! All of you! [and he disappears]

April: Is he skipping town?!

Shane: [pointing] No, the main road is that way. He’s headed toward the mayor’s mansion.

April: Why would he… [confused] What do we do now?

Kristopher: [frowning] Something’s up. I can’t decide for the rest of you, but I’m following him. I need to know the truth.

Day Five StoryX

Attic
The attic is just filled with stuff from Lake Cornwell's former mayors. Why here's the cape Mayor Burroughs wore back in the 60s. There was a huge scandal after he was found canoodling in a broom closet with the current Miss Lake Cornwell. So to improve his public approval, it was decided he would dress up like Santa and deliver presents to the local children. But Mayor Burroughs was a hefty man, and he really shouldn't have tried to shimmy down the chimney. It took five hours and the entire fire department to get him out.
(Garnet Fur-Trim Coat)

Basement
In the dusty, cobweb festooned basement, not much can be found. But in a far off corner, hidden behind the wine racks, you find five odd symbols. Why are they hidden, and what could they mean?

Dining Room
During his last reelection campaign, Mayor Barton hosted a fundraising dinner at the mayor's mansion. The cost was $800 a plate, and the food was served on expensive, antique china. But as usual, Randy was a bit confused and assumed his guests were actually buying the plates. So when all was said in done, he was left without anything to eat on and his campaign barely broke even.
(+800g )

Game Room
For decades, the mayor's game room has been home to an antique billiard table, dart board and chess board. But Mayor Barton wanted more, and added game cabinets. With more than two millions points, he holds the current high score on Mene Melee.
(Mene Melee)

Guest Bedroom
Guests are meant to feel welcomed, but what you find is anything but welcoming.
(VICTIM - SEE F.A.Q.)

Kitchen
During the winter, the only thing that seems to grow is icicles. But when spring returns, the land around the mayor's mansion comes back to life. Most prominently is the apple orchard. Visitors can even pick the apples, or buy apples pies made in the mansion kitchen.
(Season's Bounty)

Mayor's Bedroom
Everyday at noon, like clockwork, Mayor Barton leaves the town hall and returns home for an hour. Is he lunching? Is he preparing for an important meeting? No, he's taking a midday snooze. Randy will tell you that naps are very important, and that the most respected mayors take them.
(Comfy Corner)

Visiting Room
The visiting room is the place in the mansion where very important people are met. Why back in the 50s, Mayor Bowman hosted none other than future president John F. Kennedy. Not many people know this, but the two bet $600 to see who could pee the furthest out the visiting room window. JFK ended up winning, and the two had a good laugh. But the gardener standing outside didn't.
(+600g )

Where is everybody?X

-- Attic
DivineHeart - ooo
*Hime* - ooo
Mimmu - ooo

-- Basement
HIM_ROCK - ooo
Kay - ooo
Mikio - ooo
Miscreant74 - ooo

-- Dining Room
Angel Spirit Girl - ooo
Xogizmoox - ooo

-- Game Room
Divacita - ooo
Dystopia - ooo
Kent - ooo
Naisou - ooo
Rochiel Silverfire - ooo
Shadami - ooo
Xo~GREMLIN~oX - ooo
xoxoAngiexoxo - ooo

-- Guest Bedroom
evilcupcakecat - ooo
Nema - ooo
star2000shadow - ooo

-- Kitchen
Ava the Vampire - ooo
Damia Flagg - ooo
hummy - ooo
Kiari - ooo
musasgal - ooo
Velvet - ooo

-- Mayor's Bedroom
ghostPastry - ooo
salvete - ooo

-- Visiting Room
Hadsvich - ooo
shinigamikarasu - ooo

Last edited by Captain Howdy; 01-02-2018 at 05:51 AM..