View Single Post
The Time Machine
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-22-2018, 07:26 PM

Li Mei woke all the kids up early to get ready for the beginning of their voyage back to Menewsha. Boq Boq and Xeox were up like a flash, sleep all but forgotten, while Cessy blearily rolled out of bed to get ready, ending up with her shoes on the opposite feet. Yumeh never left his pink bag even on the taxi ride down to the port.

Despite having to arriving early, the group ended up having to wait hours to board the ship. Finally, the boarding call for their deck was announced over the loudspeaker and they shuffled through to the loading zone together.
Cessy: “Oh my gosh! What a gigantic ship!”
The group of Menewshans all stood at the base of the gangway looking up at the ocean liner.
Xeox: “Indeed friend Cessy. Certainly I have seen spaceliners bigger than this by far. However, for you humans, this is quite impressive!”

Li Mei: “See? Like, we aren’t all cave men and women you know!”

Boq Boq: “What fun! This will be just like the pirates from your near human past! Lets go! Gar!”

Xeox: “I think you mean “Yar!” or “Argh!” brother…”
The group followed Boq Boq up the gangway. Halfway across, Yumeh peaked his head out of the pink bag to see what all was going on. Taking one look down at the water, Yumeh completely flipped out, jumping out of his bag and onto the shoulders of Li Mei, using his claws to stay in place.

After much coaxing and cooing, Cessy managed to get Yumeh back in her arms, being sure to cover his eyes while she pet him. Li Mei cursed under her breath, rubbing the sore claw marks left behind by Yumeh.

At the top of the gangway, a small map showed them the layout of the ship. With one glance, Xeox waved at everyone to follow and led them all to their rooms were they all unpacked their things, making the tiny cabin feel a bit more like home.
Li Mei: “Whew… Well that’s done. That was like, way more work than it should have been. We totally have a ton more packages now than when we started!”
The boat horn sounded, interrupting Li Mei and heralding the departure of the ship.
Li Mei: “Hey kids, how about we go up to the top deck and wave goodbye to the mainland?”

Boq Boq: “A spectacular Idea! I will get my pirate hat!”

Li Mei: “Your pirate hat…?”

Xeox: “Don’t ask human Li Mei… He insisted on purchasing one in town the other day when he saw it in the window of…”

Boq Boq: “Gar! Let us depart!”

Li Mei: “Um… Boq Boq, that’s like, totally not…”

Xeox: “Do not be bothered human Li Mei… I have already told him that is not a pirate hat but is in fact a modern era sailor hat.”

Cessy: *giggles* "Boq Boq is so silly! Come on everyone! He’s leaving us behind!”

Yumeh: “Meow meerrroww….” (You all go ahead. I’m staying here where it’s dry and there’s no danger of falling in the water…)
Laughing at Boq Boq’s misguided choice in hats, the rest of the group followed him up the hall. Arriving on the top deck of the ship, they were surprised to see almost no one else at the railing. Boq Boq was already hanging over the side shouting “Gar!” as the rest of the group all joined him. Cessy was just barely tall enough to see over the top on her tiptoes. Xeox just shook her head at her brother’s antics wondering to herself just how he was going to pass this assignment.

Li Mei leaned down, crossing her arms on the gunnel of the ship as she watched the port receded into the the distance. The dying rays of light warmed her back while the scent of salt water drifted up from the ocean. Content with the silence of the moment, she and the kids stayed there, watching the mainland disappear from view as twilight overtook the ship, until nothing but ocean remained.

Last edited by The Time Machine; 12-29-2018 at 09:11 PM..