View Single Post
Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 09-15-2015, 08:53 PM

(Ain't no shame in your game. ;) Fangirling is what makes life worth living!)

Edwin was rather estatic when he saw Josephina's radiance. She was absolutely stunning and it was pleasant to his eyes to see one so beautiful. She'd make a lovely addition to his collection, indeed! Edwin found himself rather taken by her beauty and didn't realize at first that he was at a loss for words.

"Ah, pardon me, dear Josephina, I was just... In awe of your beauty, my lady." He had to restrain himself from simply grabbing her and throwing her onto his horse and galloping off. He was rather pressed for time and that wasn't a half bad idea. He expected by now that his mother knew about Josephina and was expecting them back at the castle. A wedding would need to be prepared for, dresses to be made, food to be cooked, servants to serve... So much to do. And it needed be done quickly. He didn't want to raise any suspicions, he'd marry Josephina in private, a small wedding and later announce the marriage to the kingdom. Yes, the plan was falling into place perfectly.

Before his mind could wander any further, Edwin gently took Josephina's hand in his own and placed a soft kiss on the back of her hand,

"My lady, it is my greatest pleasure to have your hand in marriage." He was rather awkward, it felt a little awkward after all, this was his first time asking for a woman's hand in marriage himself rather than agreeing to an arranged marriage that his mother or his late father would arrange for him. It would also be his first time marrying a woman rather than a prepubescent girl, such as customary for nobles. He awkwardly tried to pull her out of her house, only acknowledging her mother with a simple glance in her direction.

"I don't mean to alarm you," He spoke to her softly, hoping her mother wouldn't be listening, "But I'm afraid the Queen may be anxious waiting for my return." Edwin hoped that Josphenia would take the queue to say her farewells and leave.

. . .

While Edwin was meeting with Josphenia's father, one of his knights left to alert the Queen of her son's whereabouts. Which, was no longer their duty for they no longer answered to the former Queen professionally, but as they had served their beloved Queen for many years, they felt a secret obligation to her and they were not afraid to do her favors every now and then. None of the knights had yet seen Prince King Edwin's wrath and weren't afraid of upsetting him. After all, he was a strange little number, but he never seemed to get angry.

"A farmer?!" The Queen roared. "Has he lost his mind...?! No, he has. He's truly gone mad. Someone of his caliber sinking so low as to marry a peasant!" The Queen was furious. "He is royalty, Henry! I knew it... I knew he'd be the downfall of this kingdom!"

"My Queen..." Sir Henry said, "He says you merely requested he find a wife, that you ne'er stated where or how, just that he find one, and your Majesty, he has."

"When I told him to marry a local, I at least hoped he'd marry someone with a good occupation, not a spinster! I'd hoped he'd marry a blacksmith's daughter, one who'd been prepped for marriage. Or a jeweler's daughter. Someone young, someone who will be good for breeding, Henry, not a farmer!"

The Queen let out a long, defeated sigh, rubbing her temples with her fingertips as she frowned deeply.

"At least tell me this, Henry... Is she pretty? My Reginald, God rest his soul, would be turning in his grave if our son should marry an ugly farmer girl."

"Your Majesty, her beauty is beyond compare."

(And sorry this is so late! I was having a bit of writer's block, but I got back into the swing of it today with inspiration!)