Thread: Departure Time
View Single Post
Kry
Hero Complex

Old 09-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Mira fidgeted a bit in his seat when Viridis' arm tightened around him, and again when she left him to write her letter and carry her things down. He stared at Veldrin some, but never met the other man's eyes. Wondering if it were even possible for him to become strong like the man across from him. The way he was now, it didn't seem likely, and why should these people put so much effort into helping him? He wasn't worth it at all, he just didn't understand.

When Viridis returned, he looked to her, standing slowly. "I'm ready." The words spoken in his quiet, hesitant voice were true, Mira had nothing but the clothes on his back, and these clothes had been given to him by the kindly inn keeper.

Veldrin watched Mira even as the slave watched him, but unlike Mira, Veldrin kept trying to catch the other's eyes with his own. He knew the kinds of things Mira had gone through, he had gone through similar things and things that Mira's master was not cruel enough to even dream of. Could he really help this boy? The damage done could already be beyond repair.

Still he was being paid well enough for this service so he would try. Idly he mused that mercenary work and slavery were only slightly different, he was basically selling himself to the highest bidder for services rendered. The only differences was he could chose his masters, held the right to refuse. Veldrin was frowning behind the cloth that covered his face when Viridis returned, not liking the idea that everything in the world seemed to be some form of slavery or other.

He stood, stretched and straightened his back, standing at his full height of 6'2. He briefly touched the quiver strap across his chest, and the bow string over his shoulder. "I have all I need already." He always traveled light, it was easier to stalk prey with nothing weighing you down.