View Single Post
Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 PM

The men had kept up pace with the captain just fine, and each moved to claim their own spot in the racks. Three of the men stayed toward the back of the pack, with one standing nearby. Andrew was fiddling with his tablet, making more and more calculations about the size of the ship and its actually capacity. His brows furrowed with his work, and findings. It was to be a tight squeeze indeed.

Barnabas, Lukas and Padraig took in their surroundings. "Tad bit small, eh Barney?" Paddy said, lapsing into the familiar.

"Oh, I do agree, but beautiful ever the same." Lukas agreed. The three men leaned against the closest wall and shook their heads in unison.

"S'pose she ain't meant fer long journeys." Paddy said, stretching and hitting his hands on the low ceiling. "Damn, bloody shortness though."

"I think it's quite alright." Lukas stated, "It would take time to adjust though."

"Oh, Aye. But kin a fella wait that long?" Paddy motioned to the other two and they took the three walked to the three remaining sleep pods. Together, of course, as the men knew of the friendship between the three officers. The was another nearby set for Andrew. (Andrew himself had ventured back towards the mess hall to speak with the cook.)

Barnabas, after throwing his pack into the sleep pod, turned to face his friends. "Gentlemen... you shouldn't speak about the Captain in such a manner. Aye, she might hear your loud mouths." He flashed a grin towards the Captain, who had remained by the door while the men jostled about.

For all the upbringing his men had, they were still men. Some no more than 21 years of age. Barnabas always had at least young blood among his ranks. It was normally to replace a man he'd just lost - most to marriage, family commitment, or reassignment. Barnabas had yet to loose a man. It was how he had risen in the ranks - that and his father's money and last name.

While he may behave like a rouge during his private life, Barnabas was a rather strict as a commander. His men knew to follow his orders without question. From what he gathered, Ghost would hold the same strictness. If she was the Captain, he thought The Bo'sun must be Satan himself.

The three officers sauntered towards the door, and the Captain. "Well, now Miss Ghost." Paddy said. "No that we're yer slaves, could ye show us the deck and where a man might do an' honest days werk? I'm sure yer crew might be needin' a few stronger, less dainty hands."

Barnabas socked Paddy in the shoulder. "Soldier! I won't have you disrespecting our fine Captain, or else I throw you off the side of this ship myself." Paddy scowled at the Major and replied, "Aw, Barney, I was jest havin' a bit o' fun."

"That's Major Williams to you, Lieutenant Delaney. You are to treat Captain Ghost as if she were myself, and not as one of your tavern wenches. Do I make myself clear?"

"Aye, Sir." Delaney grumbled.