View Single Post
Ember Mist
"an individual with an inordinate love for ubiquitous displays of borderline behavior."
Send a message via MSN to Ember Mist

Old 11-01-2010, 06:55 PM

I have written you a story!
Username: Ember Mist
Preferred Participation Prize: Orange Goodie bag.
Title: Untitled.
Submission:

SPOILERX

I and my two friends Emilee and David were walking around trick-or-treating and there was this one house that no one was going to but there was this old guy sitting on the porch in a wheelchair watching all the kids. The house looked scary, almost as if it would crash into its self with in a moment’s notice. So of course being adventurous we walked up to the house and said the normal. "Trick or treat."He smiled and handed us three small paper sacks, all that he seemed to have and then we turned and left. So we headed back to David’s and me and Emilee jumped on his bed and poured out our candy as David made food. Emilee and I were giggling and messing around with the candy eyes we had gotten but we, mostly I, kept glancing at the small paper sacks. Sighing I jumped up and grabbed it just as David walked in with three bowls of Chili. "What is in there?" He asked sitting in his computer chair and watching me.

"I'm not sure.. Let's find out." I said grinning and tearing the staples out. I brushed a few strands of hair out of my face and poured the bag upside down. A few folded pieces of paper fluttered to the bed along with a 50 dollar bill. "W..what does the letter say?" Emilee asked leaning forward, her cape from her costume making an soft rustling noise in the now silent room. I shrugged and picked up the letter. I read it once to myself and almost cried at what it said:

Dear Trick-or-treater.

Every year I wait for someone to come up that drive way to this house. I've been waiting for almost 20 years. I don't have candy for you, just this money that i have no use for and a story to tell.

My name was Robert E. Marshal. I was 40 when I died of cardiac arrest. My wife Loraine had died almost ten days before. I felt empty after she left me and stopped taking care of me. We never had children, it wasn't possible for us. But we were happy just the two of us.

Halloween was her favorite time of the year. She loved seeing all the children dressed up and asking for Candy. She would smile so wide each time the door bell rang on that night each year. It still brings tears to my eyes to think about it.

Halloween eventually killed her. I had to go away on a business trip one year and foolishly left her for once. She had begged me to let her stay to pass out candy. I agreed and left that morning, expecting to be home the next morning to cuddle with her before sleeping.

I arrived at 5am the next morning. I noticed right away something was horribly wrong. The back door was wide open and there was a smell to the house that made my stomach churn. As I made my way up the stairs to our room. The room where all our love had been made. Where we had tried time and time again to have children I was instantly filled with a fear that I had lost my wife.

My fear was confirmed as I pushed open the door and fell to my knees. There was my wife. My beautiful wife... Tossed on the bed, naked.. strangled.. no longer living. I don't think I moved from that spot for three hours. I was rooted in horror. It hit me. My life I had built so hard to make, the wife I had spent to long to make happy... all if it was over.. It didn't matter any more.

Almost Zombie like I called the police, filled out the forms, played the part of grieving husband, while inside I was empty. Inside I didn't care any more. As the days past I laid in bed watching the leaves falling in the window. Then it happened.

It was 2 maybe 3 in the morning on November 10th. I was still awake, looking at old photo's of me and my wife when I saw her. Almost like a dream or a vision she appeared to me at the foot of the bed. "Run Jack, Leave." She said, her angelic voice seemed to be coming from everywhere. "Loraine?" I asked sitting up and looking at her. "Jack.. Go.. Run.." She said again, then vanished.

I sat stunned. Was i going crazy? Did I really just see the spirit of my dead wife? Shaking my head and I got up and headed down stairs to get a drink. There was a knock on the door and I jumped high in the air. I hadn't had a guest over in almost a month it felt. Shaking still from the scare I opened the front door and stood confused at my neighbor before me.

Before I could say a word I felt something wrap around my arm and he grabbed me and pulled me inside slamming the door behind us. He chuckled as he pulled a knife out of his pocket and began to slash at me. I tried to stop him, but only received a few slashes on the arm and hand.

I felt the cold metal on my neck and closed my eyes. My angel was crying as she watched me die. But I was smiling I'd be with her soon right?

"Wow...... is this for real?" David asked grabbing the letter from me. "Yes it's real. David give it back!" Emilee said looking up from the pillow she was cuddling. I sighed and snatched it from him. "Now.. where was I?" I asked skimming the letter. I found my spot in the letter and hushed my friends as I began to continue the story:

I was wrong. So wrong. As this man sat on me slashing away what was left of my body, I felt as if I were hovering over it. Watching what was happening as if I were watching a movie. Everything felt fake, everything felt empty. As my body closed it's eyes for the last time I hovered above it crying.

The police arrived the next morning after the milk delivery person noticed my body. I was charted out of the house and the neighbors were questioned. I watched angrily as the man who killed me played cool talking to the police as his daughter stood beside him.

Weeks went by and slowly turned into months which trickled into years. I had been dead for two years before he moved away. I was trapped in this house as if there were saran wrap around every exit. No matter how hard I tried I could never get past the front porch. I had no idea why I was still here. Do I need to be saved still? Must I find that man before I can rest peacefully?

I wandered the house alone for years before they demolished it. But it stayed to me. To me it never went away. Each year, on the day of my wifes death; Halloween. I sit on the front porch of my house waiting for someone to come and see me. I just want someone to hear my story so I can rest. I feel weary. I want to see my wife again.

I don't know what you will do with this story... You can take it to the police. You can keep it to yourself... but just writing this down has made me feel more ready. Ready to go. The outside of the house shines brightly with a possible way home. Home. I can't wait to go home.

Thank you for reading this. Please take this small token of apprication. This money. 50 dollars for three kids. That's how many kids Loraine had always wanted. Spend it on anything you want.

-Jack E. Marshal. Dead 1988.

I wiped my eyes and looked up again. "Holy crap... I..I..I don't get it... If this guy wrote it... wouldn't he be dead?" Emilee asked shaking her head and grabbing the letter. David jumped up and opened the other two bags and skimmed the letters. "It's all the same in both bags...." He said holding up two 50 dollar bills. I bit my lip and jumped up, my horns shining the light and grabbed my sweater.

"Where are you going?" Emilee asked watching me. "I'm going to talk to this guy." I said opening the door and heading into the night. Emilee and David jumped up and ran after me, locking the front door behind us. Together the three of us headed back through town to the place where we remembered seeing the house.

I stopped at the empty lot and opened my eyes wide as a gust of wind blew my hair across my face. pushing it back behind my ear I shook my head. "No way... No way in hell..." I muttered seeing the empty lot with nothing but a broken old wheelchair sitting in the middle of the weeds and trash.

Slowly we walked into the lot and up to the wheel chair. David shined his flash light on it and Emilee pointed to a name on it. "Look." She said wiping dirt off a name on the arm. I knelt down and grabbed Davids flash light and gasped at the name.

ROBERT E. MARSHAL.

Final notes: I couldn't really think of better ending. xD But this is what I came up with after trick or treating last night.

Last edited by Ember Mist; 11-01-2010 at 08:55 PM..