View Single Post
Kitsune37
Lady of Fae, Walker between Realms

Old 12-25-2014, 10:11 PM

Collen hesitated outside the door to her mother's waiting room. It used to be she welcomed news from her with joy and mischievous anticipation. These days, often news was greeted with a pretty painted smile, dread and resignation. Oh, how she longed for the days she could blend into the background like other young girls across the stations. The days she could dress as a boy and run out into the streets to blend with the nearest ragamuffin. That was before her coming out. Now, it seemed like everyone of good breeding knew of her. This knowledge itched something fierce. A few close friends was all well and good, but when every lady and gent desired to make your acquaintance, dance or generally talk your ear off at a party!.. Well disappearing began to become quite appealing. Even if it was only a few hours.

Taking a needed deep breathe she knocked twice, firmly upon the elaborately decorated white door. A melodic voice beckoned her.
Collen pushed open the door, stepped in and shut it silently behind her. Immediately she was overcome with the smells of lavender, roses and lilies. She always did love the combined scent of her mother's boudoir.
"Colleen, come sweet. Sit and speak with me."

Collen's only reply was a slight nod. Her skirts made a soft swish sound as she advanced through the room. The walls threw off dreamy light from their lilac hue, complimented by matching carpet. An elegant fireplace took charge of one wall, small jewel toned nick knacks and trinkets decorating its crown. A fire growled low in its heart.
Paintings, at least seven, lined the walls causing the room to feel smaller than it was. Giving it the illusion of coziness. Four sported images of fae women in various states of near nudity and decadence, goddesses in disguise. One a unicorn and a maiden. The other three, mythical creatures coming to life in earthy and bright tones. A lady dragon and her hatchlings. A many tailed fox. A fae woman standing proud next to a glowing white wolf. The wolf radiated male intensity and pure alpha dominance. A question came to mind at this painting: was he pet or love?

One wall, the one opposite the fireplace was mostly occupied by a vast window curtains tastefully tucked to either side. The first rays of moonlight shone within.
Colleen lowered her body into the overstuffed chair next to her mother's. Like everything else, it complimented and accentuated the room as a whole. Personally, she would have chosen a different color, such as burgundy or forest green.

While Colleen was beautiful, next to her mother she could almost be called merely pretty. Red hair, blood toned, teased about her hips, curls playing throughout. Startlingly white, her skin nearly glowed. Her eyes matched those of Colleen, in brighter tones. Satin covered her form in the latest fashion of the day in tones of lilac and lily white.
Her mother turned to the elaborately decorated table placed next to her chair. Made of strong wood, painted pale moonlight, it was carved with half bloomed roses and lilies. A gift from a friend Colleen was not familiar with. Her mother was like that. Mysterious in many ways, obvious in others. Gifts, was in the mystery category. She lifted a buttercream envelope, already unsealed and idly passed it between her hands.

“There was a letter delivered to you dear, while you were out.”
A shiver of anticipation danced down Colleen’s spine, “A letter mam?”
The other woman nodded, “Yes. From your cousin Lily. You remember her?”
Startled, Colleen only nodded.
“See? Yes, you do. It seems she is throwing a series of rather impressive parties and requests your presence. Now, you do know how I hate to have you far from me, but perhaps some time away would do you some good. You’ve been rather gloomy as of late and don’t think I haven’t noticed. I’ve sent a letter on the fastest messenger that you will gladly adorn her parties with your presence. No need to thank me sweet one. Now, have your bags packed by afternoon tomorrow and you shall have the first transport to London by evening.”

Colleen sat stunned, attempting to absorb this news. Her cousin Lily who lived in London was requesting her presence…for parties? Lily was rather high up in the London ton, but she had never once before called upon her to participate in her rather elaborate soiree’s. Something was going on. Her best move at this moment was to play along until she could gather more information.
“Yes, Mother. I am most grateful for this chance to meet with my cousin and have a brief rest from societal display.”
“You’re welcome sweet. Now, off to bed with you. You’ll need you’re rest for your journey.”

Last edited by Kitsune37; 12-26-2014 at 01:38 AM..