View Single Post
sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 12-20-2014, 11:37 PM

Mae resisted urge to huff indignantly at the dark elf's reminder about them being practically strangers. Although it was true, she was in no state of mind to play the game who can more childishly pull off the lone wolf act. And that wink didn't help at all! Honestly, she had half-mind to tell him that his self-imposed loneliness was in no way more bitter than the one pushed onto her by the title she had never wanted. His skin may have kept some people away, but there were many villagers, his own family and even Kevlar who didn't mind it at all and gladly would be his friends.

But the words never had a chance to leave woman's lips as Saith, suddenly overcome with urge to be polite, started a frantic chain of events that made her hair a chaotic mess. At first, Lacrimae didn't realize what had happened, but seeing his grin, her eyes widened and she tried to smooth down the disaster hurriedly (but with enough composure to make sure it didn't look too desperate). Her efforts were mostly in vain however and his laughter ended up being contagious, so Mae started laughing softly as well at his childish glee. She very much preferred this lighthearted version of dark skinned man, even if the source of his amusement was her messy hair. Not that she'd tell him this.

She scowled slightly at his mockery, but since she was still sincerely smiling it was obvious she didn't really mean it. But as Saith continued to talk, the scowl faded away while her lips struggled to maintain the smile. Mae looked at him thoughtfully, as if trying to gauge how much genuine interest, not just fleeting curiosity, he had. And surprisingly enough, it seemed the man truly would like to listen to her. Mae blinked owlishly at this realization. So often other priestesses and mages expressed that they will stand by her side and listen to her troubles, but it was simple politeness and in truth, they hoped not to hear of High Priestesses' burdens as they were probably too heavy to carry with her easily.

Besides the offers were always about her work and the problems she had with her people, not her deeply personal issues. It was as if the thought she of all people could have them scared even those working by her side. She always had to be strong... "You might think I was born in the lap of luxury, but instead, all I knew were prison walls," woman spoke in a rush, her hands clutched together tightly in her lap. "I knew not sun or moon light until I was already--" Somewhere, window opened loudly, shutters clattering against wall and arguing could be heard. The noise of angry wife scolding her late returning drunk husband broke the moment of straightforward honesty and Mae schooled her features in calm expression, erasing remains of emotional surge.

"But it is the past. I managed to leave it behind and now all it can do is haunt me in dreams," she said and stood up, dusting invisible specks off of her pants. "Shall we return to inn?" Mae inquired with slight smile. Hopefully, Saith would drop the subject, although perhaps it would be too much to be asked from the dark elf.